Keeping Ants Out Your Pet's Bowl

A few days ago, we had to move our dryer to another room - thus, we had to drill a hole in the outside wall for the vent. Our cat has his food and litter box in that room and now ants are swarming in his food bowl.

My husband and I are students and we can't afford to buy ant spray or traps for two more weeks. Does anyone have an idea about how to keep the ants out with something I might already have, like vinegar, baking soda, baby powder, or anything else? Help!

Marie from Idaho Falls, Idaho

Answers:

Keeping Ants Out Your Pet's Bowl

KimMcG has the answer that works best (for me). I feed a stray kitty outside and always had ants until I read about the moat idea; they won't cross water. I've always used just a touch of bleach, tho, instead of soap to keep the algae and insects out. (08/16/2008)

By doodles

Keeping Ants Out Your Pet's Bowl

Sprinkle cinnamon around the hole and the cat's dishes. Ants don't like it and they will change directions and leave. (08/20/2008)

By quiltinlibrarylady

Keeping Ants Out Your Pet's Bowl

Did you caulk or seal the access point to prevent the critters from coming in?

Also, I heard that peppermint oil deters ants. (08/20/2008)

By Oberhund

Keeping Ants Out Your Pet's Bowl

I would be concerned about putting bleach into the moat water. Should the cat or other animal decide to take a drink of the water, it could be hazardous if not fatal. (08/20/2008)

By Tripleb

Keeping Ants Out Your Pet's Bowl

Move the cat bowl up for one day or night and put cornmeal in that spot where the cat bowl sat. The ants will eat and carry the meal back to their nest. Ants can not digest corn meal so the ants die. (08/20/2008)

By sis

Keeping Ants Out Your Pet's Bowl

Simple question and simple answer shouldn't cost you a thing. Take a large bowl put water in it (enough so the ants will drown and smaller bowl won't float) then put a smaller bowl in the large bowl with the food. This has worked for me in a pinch and there is no chemicals to hurt your animal. (08/20/2008)

By candleglows

Keeping Ants Out Your Pet's Bowl

Cinnamon works and smells good too! (08/21/2008)

By Mary Moo

Keeping Ants Out Your Pet's Bowl

Another thing that has been noted to deter ants is cucumber peel. Best of luck! :) (08/21/2008)

By VTMama

Keeping Ants Out Your Pet's Bowl

I lived in southern Florida for many years and dealt with many different kinds of ants. I was told to wipe lemon juice anywhere you didn't want ants. It did work in my many apartments, but I'm not sure if your pets would like the lemon smell. I was told by someone that ants basically "breathe" through openings on their legs or feet (can't remember which) but all these items mentioned above (powder, cinnamon, vinegar, etc) most likely are breathed in when they walk across it! (08/22/2008)

By keldewber

Close of up dog food bowl with "Good Dog" design on it, surrounded by spilled kibble.
Keeping Ants Out Your Pet's Bowl
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
spoonful of sugar
Can You Use Sugar Contaminated By Ants?
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎉
🎄