Keeping Appliances Clean

Category Appliances
Cleaning washer and dryer.
Sometimes a very simple routine can help you keep up with your cleaning chores. This guide is about keeping appliances clean.

I have always kept my washer and dryer clean. I've noticed many people clean all their other appliances, but ignore their laundry buddies! When I do a load of laundry, as the water is running, I use a piece of the laundry (something like a shirt that's not really dirty,) get it wet and wipe off the inside and outside of the lid, the top and controls of the washer and then use the laundry cap to rinse everything. I use a towel to dry the outside off, use the same towel to wipe the top and controls of the dryer. They both look like new all the time!

I also clean my vacuum every time I use it. Using one of my old cleaning cloths, I wet the cloth and, after using and unplugging the vacuum, I clean all the dust on the outside of it. For some reason, vacuums attract dust while you use them and they get dirty very fast.

Another thing I clean that most people forget about is cords. Whenever I use a tool or appliance (whether kitchen appliance, like a blender, or tool like a drill,) I use a soapy rag to wipe the cord at the same time I am cleaning the tool or appliance (make sure it is unplugged.)

This is something I've done my whole life out of a habit my father taught me and it really helps keep things clean and neat. If you look at most appliances, you might be surprised at how dirty the cords are, even if the appliance is spotless!

Also, make sure you wind cords carefully, either around the appliance or tool, or fold them on themselves, but not too tight as this can cause a short in the cord (use a large rubber band if you need to to keep the cord together. :-)

By Apriliris from AL

I keep those shoe polish rags (the ones the fancy hotels give out to their guests in the room with the soap and shampoo) on my dryer. When dust and detergent accumulates, I run it under the water filling the washer, wipe down the washer and dryer and throw it in with the load I'm washing. After it's dry, it goes back in a basket on top of the dryer ready for the next time the appliances need a good wiping down.

By Jazzy from Ellicott City

Try this when starting a load to wash. While water is filling the washing machine, I take a wet cloth from the load, wring the water out and use it to wipe down the inside and outside of the washing machine and also the outside of the dryer. This is an easy way to keep both appliances clean. When I finish, I just put the cloth back in the machine and close the lid. No extra cloth is needed for this touch up cleaning.

I've found a way to keep the exterior surfaces of my washer and dryer cleaner most of the time, and it's almost effortless! At the end of the day when my dishcloth is on its way to the basket I keep in the pantry for dirty kitchen towels, I use it to wipe down the tops (and once in a while the fronts) of my washer and dryer on the way (assuming the dishcloth isn't greasy.) I change my dishcloth daily so it's never very dirty. This way the washer and dryer stay cleaner and if I want to fold towels on top of my dryer, it's a clean place to do so.

By Sharon in TX

How do we keep white appliances like our refrigerator looking like new?

By Krissttina from Honolulu, HI

Best Answer

I just wipe mine down regularly. The fridge doesn't need it as frequently as the oven. Depending on what I've been cooking, I might need to wipe the top of the oven every day or every other day. I spritz it with my Caldrea multipurpose cleaner (environmentally kind), load the dishwasher, and then I go back and wipe the oven. Normally it takes just a minute.

If something happens and I haven't kept up with it, then the job becomes more difficult. The drips have dried on and it takes more time and scrubbing. So it's just easier to do frequently.

Best Answer

You can also spritz it with automotive polish.

Best Answer

Spray hydrogen peroxide and then wipe. Simple Green, Mean Green, or Greased Lightning work well too. Goo Gone if you have sticky stuff, then wipe with wet sponge.

Best Answer

Hi everyone:

I found the solutions to my problems! To keep your white refrigerators looking like new just use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it just glistens like new and keeps it all white too! It was so great. Tp my astonishment it cleaned the spot and brought the refrigerator to the original painted look. My refrigerator is all white with white handles too. To protect the handles I wrap it with Saran Wrap and secure the wrap with 3 pieces of Scotch tape and it holds until a new wrap to keep the handle like new too. Thanks and I hope these handy tips helps you too.