Keeping Bats Out of My House

Category Bats
If bats get into your home, they can be quite a nuisance and possibly be difficult to get rid of. This is a guide about keeping bats out of my house.

Is it true that Xmas lights and decorations keep bats away from your home? I have a bat house already, but they keep coming in my house. I know they keep bugs away, but I'm scared of them. I just put a Xmas tree on my porch is this just a myth? Help! Please.

Anonymous
Best Answer

The only way that is 100% effective is to seal off the entire colony.

Best Answer

My dad just had a colony settle in his attic and the only way to get rid of them is with a trapper. He came in and installed some kind of pipe so that they could fly out but not come back in. It took several weeks but they finally got them out of the house. For some reason, every June, he would get bats and by July they were gone. This year though they came in April and we believe it was because of the mild winter we had here in the east and they returned from migration early. You need to get a professional to take care of the problem. They make a mess out of your house which can cause health issues. He tried all the tricks like noise makers, lighting up the outside of the house, etc. The professional will find where they come in and seal up the holes. Worth the money believe me!

The only sure way to keep them out is to seal any areas where they can get in.

Bats getting into your house can be a serious problem that will probably take some work to fix. Christmas lights have been suggested but here are some links that will give you all the information you need.

http://www.home  get-rid-of-bats/

http://www.wild  -prevention.html

http://www.wild  oval.com/bat.htm

I have lived in my rental house since September of 2007, and have had a total of 8 bats throughout the years come out in my house. I know at least 1 of their roosting areas, in attic cubby hole. Around the chimney there are lot of bat droppings.

My landlord says he will look for the entry spaces and try to seal them again. These bats are a huge problem for me since I am deathly afraid of bats! I like start to hyperventilate and cry and really am petrified of these bats. They are small brown bats. I am scared about bats possibly having rabies.

I was told Bounce fabric dryer sheets will help keep bats from entering my home because of the strong smell of dryer sheets. If this works I will do this around chimney, their roosting place and pray I don't get another bats again flying in my house. Last night the brown bat came out into my daughter's room, she's 11. So can anyone please give ideas? I don't have $500 to have an exterminator to get rid of these bats.

By Heidi

Best Answer

Oh wow, GreenerGrass is spot-on!! Your landlord is responsible for this-not you. If he/she balks at the needed remedies threaten to call the Health Department-and if you have to threaten, btw, you probably should be thinking about where to move.

Any landlord who lets a bat infestation continue is courting a VERY costly lawsuit. Bats, including their guano, carry RABIES-do not touch or disturb any droppings you see.

Wow!

Best Answer

To get rid of the bats you have to close off the entrances the bats use to enter the house. Once you have located the openings you can use wood or metal screen to cover the openings. This is a job for your landlord. If he is not receptive to the idea or drags his feet visit your town hall and ask them for some help. Dryer sheets are useless. Save your money.

You landlord should be paying for it! You need to insist on that.

So sorry you are afraid of bats. You are blessed to have these bug catchers visiting you. You will suffer with mosquitoes soon as the bats are gone. Agreed they need to stay out of your house. That is where your landlord needs to jump in to plug up the holes.

As far as outside, They are an asset. I believe it is illegal to kill them. Your fear is unjust. I belong to wildlife rescue. I fell head over heels when i saw our president of wi rescue handfeeding the babies. You could be so comfortable if you visited wildlife rescue and in particular the bat rehabber. You would learn that their life is precious. Their parenting habits are precious.

Learn their eating habits and get some real facts. Please do not kill them. They mean you no harm. They do only good. they wouldn't be where you are unless there is a good food source - mosquitoes.

This is 100% your landlords responsibility! Not yours. Bats are a very dangerous thing to have in your house because most of them carry rabies and many times you won't even know you have been bitten (if you are asleep) so you won't get treatment until it is too late.

There is no cure/remedy for rabies unless you are treated immediately - before you start showing symptoms. I don't want to freak you out but this is very serious. Please make your landlord take care of this immediately or you and your family should move out.