Keeping Bees Away from a Hummingbird Feeder

How can I get rid of honey bees at humming bird feeders? The bees chase the hummers away. They completely cover the feeders.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Debbie from MO

Smoke keeps bees away. (03/14/2010)

By Dorty

I always make sure that there's no nectar on the outside before hanging and, last summer, I got one of those "bee catchers" and put it near the feeder, so the bees go for that and leave the feeder for the "hummers". I'm sure someone on this site has instructions to make your own, to save $$$, too! (03/19/2010)

By mom of towers

Please learn the difference between a bee and a wasp! You do NOT want to kill bees and a plastic bottle trap that you hang from a tree will kill both.

"Wasps are thinner, can be aggressive, and interested in food and garbage. Bees are generally plumper, mild mannered and interested in flowers, not your lunch or garbage can." (04/10/2010)

By HeatherM

I have just tried this method of keeping honey bees away from my hummingbird feeders and it seems to be working very well. At least there is no swarm of bees. Put vegetable oil on the spout and on the flower where the hummingbirds drink. I just smeared it on with my fingers. Now my hummingbirds can drink in peace, so far! I think I will apply the oil to the entire base of the feeder to totally get rid of the bees! Thank goodness. I have spent a whole day trying different things and this works. (07/07/2010)

By righteousrose

Top Comment

Do not use an kind of oil or vaseline around Hummers gets on their feathers and is fatal for them

I use original pam cooking spray, it's easier

Bee on Hummingbird Feeder
Keeping Bees Out of the Hummingbird Feeder
A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
Protecting a Hummingbird Feeder from Rain
Hummingbird perched on a feeder.
Keeping Ants Out of the Hummingbird Feeder
Hummingbird Feeder
Cleaning a Hummingbird Feeder