Keeping Bees Off Hummingbird Feeders

I have been using vegetable oil around the holes to keep bees off. It really works! It is very sticky when cleaning though. Has anyone else tried this?

By Mainehummerluver from Bridgton, ME

Best Answer

If you get feeders where the feeder part is deep and the sugar water is not to close the bees will not be interested in the feeder. the color of the flower part has nothing to do with it, the bees smell the sugar. if they cant get to it they wont come back. the oil is not good overall to the bees but not good for the hummingbirds either.its not going to kill them but this will help keep down any uneccessary things to our critters to help keep them healthy! but the yes the oil does help on our two fancy favorite feeders (we have since put up)but the others we make sure the the feeder part is deep. hope this helps when you buy feeders in the future.

I tried peppermint essential oil on quip and no more bees....

Best Answer

I'm trying aquaphor instead of Vaseline. It's slippery but made of water with nothing such as oil or preservatives, so far, so good. 

Yes it's help

Please No vegetable oil, No Vaseline, No oil of any kind, & No Pam anywhere on the feeder or on the pole / hook holding it. Oil / grease can lead to the death of the hummingbirds. The birds cannot get this off their feathers or beaks. Even a little can be harmful. The feathers can be matted & the bird will not be able to fly eventually. I think it can also lead to infection.

I have, it worked for a where

Yes I tried it. It worked for a while but then the bees came back. Going to try mint . Wish me luck.

I used to use vegetable oil on the ports of my feeders it works until the sun bakes the oil on. And like you said makes them sticky..I read that oil isn't good for them..it gets on their bills and then when they're preening gets in their feathers and could affect their flying

Please please do not spray your feeders with Pam spray. Don't put any oils, Vicks Vapor Rub, Pam Cooking Spray, Duct Tape, Off, Skin-so-soft, or Vaseline on your hummingbird feeder. These may work slightly. However, hummingbirds have a tendency to fly around frantically and bump into feeders quite often. If there is oily stuff or duct tape on the feeder, it can get into the feathers. The hummingbirds will have a hard time getting it off and it's not all that good for them. When they are unable to preen this goo off their feathers, it leads to hypothermia and then death.

Plus, most of these items will melt in the heat making goo run all over the place. Please don't use these items.

Decrease the amount of sugar in your mixture or use 3 cups water to 1 cup sugar in a bowl and place a little ways from your feeders. The bees should find this source.

Bee on Hummingbird Feeder
Keeping Bees Out of the Hummingbird Feeder
Home and Garden Pest Control Bees & WaspsJuly 31, 2011
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
Hummingbird perched on a feeder.
Keeping Ants Out of the Hummingbird Feeder
bee on a flower
The Benefits of Bees in Your Garden
🎄