Keeping Bees and Wasps Out of Hummingbird Feeders

When I hang my hummers food trays, all I get is bees and wasps. What can I do? And no matter where I hang it, they come.
Thank you.

By Lorraine

Best Answer

Birds are super sensitive to the spray. Reading the can is your first hint. It will kill your pet bird is another hint. Please do not do this ever. It is horrible. Also the bees carry it back to the hive and you can guess the rest. Bees are in big trouble and do not need us to add more threats. There are much more sensitive ways to control them. Yellow flowers on feeders are no good, reduce proportions to 1:5 instead of 1:4. Make super strong 1:3 or 1:2 nectar for bees in their own feeder and move it away from your hummer's feeders, a little further each day might be best so the can move along. Call Hummingbird Society in your area for more ideas but no bug spray. Ever.

I bought an ant guard for my hummingbird feeder. So far, it has kept most bees away. No rhyme or reason just glad. I paid a lot for it, about 6$ but you just hang it above the feeder. It has lasted 3 hrs!

It's very easy to make your own. I used the cap from my laundry detergent.

Spray the bottom of the feeder lightly with bug spray ever so often. doesn't bother the birds but keeps away the bugs. also spray the wire or pole where it hangs to keep away ants.

Even considering using bug spray on your feeder is incomprehensible to me... bees are becoming endangered and should be protected. There are plastic caps available at most garden shops for a few bucks.

Bee on Hummingbird Feeder
Keeping Bees Out of the Hummingbird Feeder
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJuly 11, 2011
A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
Wasp on Vespiary
Getting Rid of Wasps
Repelling Hornets, Bumble Bees, and Wasps
A wasp's nest in the corner of a roof.
Keeping Wasps Away From Your Home