Keeping Birds Away

Category Birds
Finding the best way to deter birds from visiting and nesting at your home, patio or garden can be a challenge. This is a guide about keeping birds away.

We were having a big problem with birds sitting on the rain gauge and pooping in it. The nails that my husband put around the top did not stop them. No more poop in the rain gauge now though. He painted an old rubber snake and nailed it to the post. It is keeping the birds off the rain gauge. Almost fooled me, too.

I had to laugh when I saw this, what a creative and first rate idea! Good thinking! :)

Every morning at 4:15 a.m., and all day, the birds wake and begin chirping in the holly tree, the oak tree and several others, none of which belong to me but surround my house. What can I do to drive them away to the forest of trees across the street?

Cindy

Best Answer

As soon as you see them coming in the evening to roost, start banging loudly on a pot with a wooden spoon. After doing this for 3 nights, they will not return. I did this with starlings (very noisy birds) in my backyard

and, after 3 nights banging, they never returned to roost.

Best Answer

Get one of those 'white noise' machines. You won't hear the outside noises. Or just run a fan all night. It should make enough noise to blank out the exterior distractions.

Best Answer

If you have a baby monitor or can borrow one, put the 'walkie' part firmly in the tree as high as you can reach. If it's rainy, put it in a large ziplock.

When they start making the noise or when they come to roost yell 'Boo" into the monitor. They will take off! It only takes a few times before they get the hint.

Best Answer

I use a hose. The birds start at 4:15 AM. They are so loud. Last thing before bed and first thing in AM is to spray holley tree. The pack is now half, and soon to be none. Water does not hurt them.

Best Answer

You could use "Flash Tape" it's an Iridescent Red Foil Tape it "Drives Birds Away by Creating an Optical Distraction Zone" (The professional Cherry Growing Farmers use this stuff buy the ton! You see it hanging on all the fruit trees around here) If farmers use it, I'm sure it works! Or you could use a "Scare Eye Balloon" or the "Bird Chase Super Sonic" it Features distress calls of 22 types of birds Select your "Target Bird"  (Distress calls will play for 2 minutes, stop for 10 minutes and repeat.)

Here's a link where you can buy these and many other "Bird Away" items:

http://absolutebirdcontrol.com/

-----> But before you buy anything, try WHITE NOISE, this REALLY WORKS: Run a fan in your room for white noise (any kind of fan will do, as long as it's not one of the new "super quiet" ones)...Just turn it toward the wall, if you're cold... It may take several days to get used to the fan, but once you do, it will amaze you just how good the white noise works to drown out all the other noises around the home & believe me this REALLY works!

All, the birds that chirp at night does it for a reason. Have you asked yourself why they do it? Regardless the why I found a method to scare them away. Although they might not stay in your tree any more this method does not warranty to make them go far enough from your house. You might end up or still be close enough to heard them and besides even if you heard them far away at night it will still be close enough regardless.

This is the method. Have a microphone connected to an amplifier and this to a strobe light. Increase the sensitivity to a level where the chirping will make the strobe to start emitting its flashes. As the bird chirp the lights will flash. The bird will be quite in seconds.

Bonus method: ear plugs. Simple ha!

I live in Islamabad, Pakistan. In the early morning, sparrows chirp so much that you need not set timepiece alarm to wake up. I always enjoy it :o)

Get a cat. Get several cats. They like chirping birds, for dinner. I used to have a big coon cat. He caught birds all the time.

My backyard was heavy with black birds. I bought a large plastic goose and put it in the middle of the yard. Within 15 minutes I didn't have one bird and they never came back. I also left the goose in the middle of the yard, just in case!!

I purchased from Amazon 20watt Mini Strobe and placed to shine up in to the tree at night no more poo

This request is for some friends of mine. Within the past month or so, they have had a LOT of birds come live in the two maple trees in their backyard. There are other trees, but the birds seem to only congregate in the maples. There are so many birds in their backyard trees that they cannot enjoy their backyard. The birds poop everywhere. There are so many birds you can smell them. Why are there so many birds, and what can they do to get rid of them?

Allison from TN

Best Answer

This is what my father did

He bought a bunch of pop gun ammo, then using a hammer, laid out a couple on the sidewalk and smashed a few. This went on every evening when it was loudest, for about a week or two. Eventually they stopped dropping by our tree.

Then next year, we had fewer birds. I guess the word got around not to stop off at our residence. We only used the pop caps a few times and it was all good after that.

Best Answer

If you can get high enough into the tree with a ladder, hot-glue 2 CDs together, blank sides facing outward. Tie them from several limbs with fishing line. They'll sway in the breeze and reflect sunlight. It will serve a double purpose. The birds will be repelled, and it will be really pretty.

Best Answer

Go to Wal Mart or a Dollar store and buy several realistic looking rubber snakes. They're about $1 each. Drape them on several tree limbs in natural looking positions. Bet it will get their attention and they'll leave.

I have some absolutely obnoxious blue jays that try to take over my deck and bird feeder. I lay out two rubber snakes and they flip out, screeching and squawking and leave. After they're gone, I pick up my snakes and then the sweet timid birds get to eat!

Best Answer

Plastic Owl, should be able to find at good garden store.

Have not tried this but I heard it works. The pretty colored balls you see in birdbaths, I have seen them in red, gold, blue and silver. These are supposed to help keep birds away.

Good Luck!