Keeping Birds Out of Dog's Food

dog food outside
If you feed your dogs outside you may have problems keeping visiting birds out of the kibble. This is a guide about keeping birds out of dog's food.

How do I keep birds from getting into my dog's food?

By Janet from Phoenix, AZ

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My veterinarian husband tells people to only put out as much food as the dog will eat in about 15 minutes. Any more is not wanted by the dog right then. He/she may come around and snack all day but that isn't good for the dog and allows others to eat your dog's food.

My Dobe eats like a cat (lots of little meals) so I keep food down all day for him but his dishes are never outdoors.

Jennifer

You should never leave dog food outside. It attracts all types of critters you might not want in your yard. Esp. coyotes. Try feeding your dogs indoors.

Leaving food outside isn't such a good idea as flies will lay their eggs in it - also ants could take it over. Try just feeding the dog what it needs at the time then taking the food away.

The birds are eating my dog's food. Her food bowls are even in her doghouse and the birds will go in there and eat right out of her bowls whether she is in there or not. I even put a bird feeder in the tree beside her doghouse, but they seem to like the dog food better. Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Currywife from WV

Answers:

Birds Eating Our Dog's Food

Try stringing together some old cd's. If you have any fishing line and a swivel just tie it all together after punching a little hole in each side. Kind of like stringing popcorn, but with the fishing swivel it will twirl in the wind and the reflection will scare the birds from that area. Worked great, I used it on my boat to keep the poo off. (04/12/2006)

By Mymie

Birds Eating Our Dog's Food

We've had the same problem. I ended up bringing in the dog dish. Then, a few times a day, I would set out the food for her to eat and then bring it back inside as soon as she was done. I would do this for a week or two and then once the birds "forgot" about the dog dish, I would set it out for the whole day once again. They can go thru a lot of dog food very quickly, can't they? (04/13/2006)

By valleyrimgirl

Birds Eating Our Dog's Food

You may want to get a cheapy dog food and put it in a place where only they can get to it.

I have found that if I put the birdseed on the ground they will stop eating my dog's food.

Zig (04/13/2006)

By Ziggee

Birds Eating Our Dog's Food

Other than feeding the dog inside here are a couple of suggestions that might slow the birds down from eating dog food. First suggestion would be to place a small dog bowl inside of a slightly larger and taller paint pail or bucket. Most birds won't go into a confined bucket. Another suggestion is to buy slightly larger sized dry dog food that the birds can't pick up and carry off. Hope this helps. (08/13/2008)

By Bill

Birds Eating Our Dog's Food

I have done it. Someone told me to buy a small plastic snake. It had to be a certain type. Well I couldn't find one, but I put a ferocious looking plastic lizard near the dog food and now? no more problem. After couple of months I changed it's position just in case these birds are too smart. (11/20/2008)

By Nelle H.