Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

How does one keep cats out of flower beds without spending a lot of money?

Alice from Arkansas

Answers:

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

One thing I can tell you NOT to do is to sprinkle any kind of pepper (especially black pepper) in your flower beds! This is a remedy that some people suggest but it is harmful, and can even be fatal, to cats! (01/30/2006)

By Maryeileen

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

I have had good success putting drops of citric essential oil at 1-2 foot intervals around my beds. I renew once a month or so. Even here on the coast this method keeps our cat our of my salad beds. (both orange and lemon work well) The first time I used the oil I put it in the beds as well. After that just around the perimeter seems to do the trick. Perhaps lemon scented herbs would work as well. (01/30/2006)

By Rene

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

If you place citrus (orange, lemon, grapefruit) peels in your flower beds. It really does work. We have three stray cats that used to use my flower beds as a litterbox. Someone told me about it, tried it and they haven't used it ever since. The only thing is about every two weeks I have to replace the peels. Which I don't mind, if it keeps them out. Cats hate citrus. (03/28/2007)

By Lisa

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

NOT RECOMMENDED:

*** chili powder, red crushed pepper, cayenne pepper (NOT recommended), it gets on the cat's paws then they wash themselves and they get it in their eyes, beware cats have literally scratched their eyes out because of this. Even if it's one cat out of 500 infected in this way, that's one too many for me.

*** Don't ever use mothballs or flakes. Those little toxic waste pellets destroy cats' kidney function, could seriously harm people who handle them, and yes, contaminate your own garden soil. Their packaging even warns against using them this way.

I got this info from this website: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rmgard/msg051314006160.html. link to this site for further info and on a side note just to let any of you know that are thinking of using these types of items, it can be linked back to you by the spca and there are laws that protect animals against cruelty . (05/22/2007)

By victoria32

Grey tabby cat laying in outdoor flower bed.
Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds
stack of railroad ties
Using Railroad Ties for Raised Vegetable Beds
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
sunken garden beds
Sunken Beds for Arid Climates
curved flower beds
Shaping Flower Beds
🎉
🎄