Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

How do I keep cats out of my flower beds? Our neighborhood is overrun with strays. Any fresh dirt is swarmed with cats! Nasty! Last summer I even had a 10 inch planter that a cat did it's business in. How do I keep them out with minimal to no expense?

Jody from WYOMING

Answers:

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Those prickly round balls from trees called sweet gum balls, the kitties don't like to touch them with their claws. I know of some people on this website that will send them to you (at least I've seen them post this before) they have so many! (06/02/2007)

By michawnpita

alabama

I had the same problem. I tried a lot of the things posted here, but the only thing that worked for me, is covering my beds with decorative rocks. Since the rocks, they don't come around to scratch and use the restroom in my plants. (06/05/2007)

By r

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

My brother in law put down mouse traps where the trays were digging in their beds. Once they got pinched they never come back to his bed again. (06/05/2007)

By Karen

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Put chicken wire on top of the dirt - cats (and other animals don't like walking on it). You could also try putting metallic pinwheels (whirly gigs, etc) around the perimeter. I've heard of using it for deer and other small animals, so it may work for cats, too. The motion and the reflective nature of the metallic pinwheels scare the animals away. (06/07/2007)

By

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Bamboo skewers stuck point up in the dirt will discourage them and they're really, cheap. (06/07/2007)

By Marna

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

To keep cats out of my flower beds I use moth balls. I scatter them all over. They don't hurt the plants either. I got this tip off of the internet. Works great. Have never had a cat return. Hope this helps. (06/07/2007)

By Janette

Grey tabby cat laying in outdoor flower bed.
Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds
stack of railroad ties
Using Railroad Ties for Raised Vegetable Beds
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
sunken garden beds
Sunken Beds for Arid Climates
curved flower beds
Shaping Flower Beds
🎄