Keeping Cats from Peeing on Furniture

My cat continually pees on my leather lounge. We have tried chemicals from pet shops, and other chemicals around $150 worth and nothing is working or preventing him from doing this. He was fixed and toilet trained, I don't understand why he is like this. I also have to keep bedroom doors closed as he pees on the beds as well. Please help me as I don't know what else to do.

Amanda

Answers:

Keeping Cats From Peeing on Furniture

I have the same problem with my cat who was also fixed. He didn't start having the problem until he spied a female cat outside one day. She kept coming around and he continued to pee on my walls and whatever he could find. I called the vet and they told me to try and give my cat benadryl to calm his nerves. I can't remember the exact measurements I was told, but I believe it was 1 mg for every pound the cat weighs.

Don't quote me on that, but check around on the internet. My cat doesn't do this as often anymore and I can't put him outside because he would never survive, he is a big baby (a lover not a fighter). The only thing I have found to help with the smell of the urine is a product I found at the dollar stores called awesome cleaner. You can mix it with water or use it full strength. I either use full strength or use a little water with it and spray where he sprayed.

I clean my cat's litter every day, so I know it is not from that. He tends to do this when I haven't paid enough attention to him or when he doesn't get what he wants. Punishing them doesn't help either. Also, he was fixed when he had already started to spray because at the time I didn't know how old they should be to have them fixed. I think that plays a part also. My other cat who I have had for years was fixed at an early age and I have had no problems with him. Even females can spray too, I had one many years ago who did this.

There could be something physically wrong with him also, so you could try a couple things and if nothing else works then I would give the vet a call. I have to wait until I get some money saved up so that I can have mine checked out. Good luck with your cat and hopefully he will stop peeing on your furniture soon. (02/27/2009)

By albright4ever

Keeping Cats From Peeing on Furniture

I've had cats for 20 years. Get it checked out by your vet first. Retraining cats is not too hard. I've got a large cage, big enough for a bed, food/drink bowl and litter tray. A few days in there will help, and put the cat in when unsupervised and at night. Be prepared with a squirt / spray bottle of water. It can be a deterrent if it goes near the "AREA." The smell of citrus/onions are also good deterrents. Good luck. (02/28/2009)

By dawny.b

Keeping Cats from Peeing on Furniture

Wow, cat urine smells so awful and is hard to remove. Definitely consult your vet. It could be a health problem and your cat is desperately trying to convey this to you. Cat urine will make your home smell so terrible to everyone that walks in as you will become desensitized after time. It's not enough to clean and clean. Consider the vet and if nothing works, consider donating the cat to a nice farm. Maybe he or she would be happier being a barn cat. (03/01/2009)

By frugalelf

Keeping Cats from Peeing on Furniture

I've seen people put aluminum foil on things because they don't like the sound it makes when they step on it. (07/05/2009)

By wildwoman77

Cat peeking over the arm of a purple colored couch.
Keeping Cats from Peeing on Furniture
Cat on a white bed with a window in the background
Keeping Cats from Peeing on a Bed
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎉
🎄