Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Cats from Peeing on a Bed

Having a cat that chooses to pee on the bed rather than in the litterbox is very frustrating and baffling. This is a guide about keeping cats from peeing on a bed.

December 11, 2016 Flag

I've had my cat for years now and about a year ago he has began peeing on the bed, but only where I sleep. It's not a health issue, his litter box is regularly cleaned and he uses it normally. He is spayed, healthy, and normal. But he pees wherever I sleep and I don't know how to make him stop. He pees only on the side I sleep on and if I move to the couch he'll pee there too. I've tried barricading off my bed, but that doesn't work. How do I get him to stop?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It sounds to me like he doesn't want you to sleep and is doing this for your attention. I would put him in a small carrier while you sleep.

I think he is trying to get your attention while you are sleeping. I would put him in a pet carrier when you go to bed.

I agree with the pet carrier, only I would get a huge dog crate and make him a den. I would put a litter box, a bed and water in there. A few toys would be great too. I would put him in there each night. This is not a punishment, but just a way to help you pet succeed in not wetting on your sleeping quarters. I have 11 cats at present, and once I know they have learned to use the litter box, I switch out the litter to cedar shavings. I feel that litter can be rough on some cat's paws. I have one kitten or two that still have not learned to use the litter box. I will do the crate thing on them, after I have rehomed the other kittens. I will tell you that cats are very strong willed, but love is something they all need, and helping them succeed is a good strategy to help overcome the problem if it is not physical. I would also suggest switching them over to Rachel Ray cat food, if they are out of the kitten stages. Corn is not good for any animal and that is what most pet food is, is a lot of corn.

Let us know on here how everything works out.

Sincerely,

Robyn

Take your cat to the vet and see if they have a urinary tract infection. They are painful and sometimes this is how cats tell you something is wrong.

You say you have had your cat for years now; but you are sure this is not a health problem. I think it may well be a health problem. Older cats often develop urinary tract infections, bladder stones, and some develop diabetes. Any of these would cause the symptoms you describe. Your cat may be sleeping where you do because it comforts him. Cats with UTIs or diabetes will urinate while they are asleep and be unaware of it. All of these illnesses are easily treated. If your guy has not been evaluated for these diseases, get him to your Vet. Good luck to you.

April 13, 2015 Flag

I adopted a two year old cat from my local arl and he got sick with an upper respiratory infection and chlamydia. I had him stay with my sister for a few days and there was not a single accident. As soon as I brought him to my house with my 2 year old fixed female he started peeing on my bed.

After cleaning it on five different occasions I got rid of it assuming there was still odor left behind causing him to continue to go on it. I went months without a bed and slept on the couch where he would sleep next to me. I got a new bed the other day and as soon as I got the bedding on I caught him scratching at it like he'd do to cover his stuff in the litter box. Sure enough he had peed on my new bed. I thankfully have a plastic cover for it this time around. I've washed the bedding and scrubbed the plastic cover. He and my female cat don't get along, so I'm not sure if it could possibly be stress related.

I've been giving both cats treats and catnip on my bed lately as I've read healthy cats won't pee where they eat and I'd like them to associate my bed with something positive. I've done this with only the plastic cover on and only when I am right there. They aren't currently allowed in my room without me there. I'm terrified of putting the bedding back on and letting them in there because my mother said if he goes on the bed one more time I have to get rid of him. I bought them a new extra large litter box since he's on the big size and I scoop the litter much more often. I have two litter boxes and I know I should have three, but my mother won't let me fill the third as she says it is too much. What should I do?

By Lauren R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When you adopt a pet, you also adopt the responsibility for the health and welfare of your pet. His urination problem may be something he has no control over because of a medical reason. I strongly suggest that you take your cat to your vet now to check on possible medical reasons and treatment for his behavior.

Your cat should be checked by a Vet for urinary problems, but it seems to me that the problem is likely behavioral. I think you are doing all you can to help the problem. When your cat marks on your bed he is trying to mingle his scent with yours.

As the new cat on the block he is likely feeling insecure. I think time will help most of all, and continuing to build your relationship with him. Play with him a lot, and give him lots of attention. Build his confidence. Make sure he has places he can go to nap and be alone (away from other cats). My cat has a bed on my desk that is his alone.

You might put a t shirt that you have worn in his bed. Do what you can to see tension over his mistakes doesn't linger and make him feel insecure. One last thought, there are special hinges for doors that close them automatically. Might be a good idea for your door until things smooth out. You sound like a very well informed and responsible pet owner. Good luck to you both.

First off, use 20 Mule Team Borax powder in the wash for all of your soft goods that are on that bed, including the mattress cover and maybe sprinkle some on the mattress, leave it on for a day or so, then vacuum it up. Borax breaks up the urine crystals, removing that tell tale odor.

Re-arrange your entire room so it looks and feels completely different. Do you have any OTHER cats? They can't use the room, but if they must, they are not allowed on that bed! ONLY Mr Pee Pants is allowed on the bed now, that's HIS place. He is marking his territory- this is a behavioral issue and he feels very insecure, even if he's "given everything" there is something or some other pet making him feel envious enough to tinkle where you can really see it. Make the bed "his". Only let him sleep up there. You'll see him punishing other pets that try to alight on the bed, don't punish him for it! It is him confirming "his" area. Let him up there, don't push him off at any time you can help it, and your p p problems should end.

February 17, 2009 Flag

My cat pees on the sofa or the bed when he gets cross with my husband. How can I get him to stop?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a male cat who pees on everything...especially plastic bags! So the plastic may not work. Don't spend too much on it, just in case!

Tell your husband not to do anything to cross your cat! :-)

Oh wow. Try erasing any sign or scent of the spot. Make sure to cover it with pillows or something (i would say food bowl but in this case he is peeing on the bed). Plus your husband or anyone should never be cross with a cat. There trust for you goes down and that's very bad considering they live with you. Be patient and or lock the bedroom door or when your husband begins to be cross with the cat be cross with him and take the cat to the litter.

February 17, 2009 Flag

I have recently added a 6 month old kitty to my household of pets. The dog and older cat get along well with the new addition. They all sleep, play and eat together without any qualms. The problem is with TaLouse. He pees in the middle of the beds and sometimes on laundry - mostly beds. He has his own litter box separate from Tucker, the older cat. I have come to the realization that he does not like a dirty litter box and keep his scooped regularly. Anyone have any ideas? Are there odors that can be sprayed to keep him off the bed? I dare not tell my husband.

Talouse is a gorgeous cat and I just can't part with him but need some advice on what to do. Is lemon or vinegar a good deterrent?

Thanks to anyone with ideas.

Nelwyn from Bunkie

Answers:

Cat Peeing on Bed

I have used newspaper to keep a cat off of things like a couch that I don't want them to get onto. Just spread newspaper all over the bed or couch, etc. Maybe this would work for you. Is he neutered? Sometimes that also makes a difference. (02/04/2008)

By Irene

Cat Peeing on Bed

My cat pees on my bed and my new trick is that I bought 2 of those plastic floor runners and laid them on my bed with the poky sides up. It does not hurt them, but its not comfortable either. Then at night, I take them off and kitty can sleep with me. (03/22/2008)

By catwoman

Cat Peeing on Bed

I've read a book all about cats which mentioned the problem of beds being used as a toilet, sometimes with the cat's owners in bed. I think no one has said this, but it is most likely due to stress, if it's not a urinary infection.

Try looking for pheromone kits or something. My cat went a bit mental a while ago (running all over the place, enormous pupils and quite hostile) so she went to the vet and we came home with a bottle of these hormone things that you plug into the wall. I live in the UK though, so I don't know what the American equivalent is. (05/25/2008)

By Tricky

Cat Peeing on Bed

About a week ago, the door to the room where we keep the litter box was accidentally closed and our 9 month old male cat proceeded to pee on our bed with us in it. This was the first time he ever went outside his box and I thought that washing the comforter was enough. Apparently I was wrong. The next night we found ourselves being peed on again. I traded out our comforter for the one in the spare room and again it happened.

Zippy was scheduled to be fixed a day later and I discussed the problem with our vet. I was told that the smell of the urine must have permeated the mattress, even though we couldn't smell it, even by pressing our noses right up to the spot. The vet sold me a product called "OUTRIGHT Stain and Odor Remover" and the results are amazing! All you do is squirt the product directly on the spot, saturating it, and in minutes the smell is gone. We have been 3 nights free of "accidents" on the bed and I now swear by this stuff. The whole bottle (16oz.) was under $10 but can only be purchased at a vet's office. I highly suggest it to anyone who needs to remove any new or old cat urine smells! Zippy is now neutered and seems to have no interest in turning our bed into a litter box! (06/27/2008)

By Nealie

Cat Peeing on Bed

Well, I thought I had solved the "peeing problem" with Zippy but was disappointed to have him pee on us again 4 nights ago! I was sure it was the presence of a smell so minute that we couldn't detect it but I had exchanged all the bedding in the spare room for the bedding in our room. After stripping the bed once again at 1am, I was completely perplexed as to what I could do to keep Zippy from peeing on us.

My husband was ready to find him a new home, not that I could blame him. I was just as frustrated, but I have fallen in love with this cat and couldn't see ever giving him up. I had never given away a pet and was determined to find a way to keep him. Closing him out of the room wasn't an option due to fact that I have 2 large dogs that aren't "cat friendly" and would never leave them alone together overnight.

After racking my brain for hours I came up with a possible remedy. Zippy has a "blankie" that he sleeps on next to me in bed and I had always heard that cats won't pee where they sleep. I took his original "blankie" and laid it on top of our comforter (in the dreaded spot where he seems to pee each night).

Initially he just smelled the blankie and laid down. It's now been 3 nights with his "blankie" on top of our comforter and no accidents! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we've found the solution. This may not work with every cat, but when you're desperate, you'll try anything.
(07/10/2008)

By

RE: Cat Peeing on Bed

Cat Peeing on Bed

We have six cats and one felt it necessary to wet on our bed. We make sure to clean the cat boxes several times a day. We tried everything to figure out why one of our cats felt it was necessary to pee on our bed and never did. Just keep the litter boxes clean and pray for the best. All of a sudden the peeing cat stopped. Cats are a mystery but worth all of the effort. (01/29/2008)

By S. Grimes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 29, 2008 Flag

My cat has peed on both my bed and my parent's bed four times in the last three weeks. They are telling me that they are going to get rid of her.

Rain from Ventura, California

Answers:

Cat Peeing on Bed

I had an issue with my cat peeing on my bed as well, it had NOTHING to do with the litter being dirty.

I switched to an automatic litterbox, and it was always clean, she still would pee on my bed once a week or so. I used the same litter, etc.

I finally cleaned it "properly" with the Nature's Miracle cleaner, and then added cat nip to the litter box, she IMMEDIATELY took to the litter box, and started using it again, without issues. So every time I change the litter, or just feel like it looks a bit low, I'll throw a bit more cat nip in, it's only a couple dollars for a big container too.

DONT waste your money on Cat Attract litter, just add cat nip, it does the same thing, and you'll notice an immediate difference.

I also moved the food and water to the other side of my apartment away from the cat litter... although that didn't seem to bother her the first 5 years, you never know... (02/12/2007)

By Ryan

RE: Cat Peeing on Bed

Cat Peeing on Bed

I have a very large cat family (twelve spayed/ neutered, and vaccinated angels) plus one dog. One of my cats, (whom I was brought by a child on the day he and his brother were born along with their momma,) pees on my bed.

I took him to the vet, who did numerous tests and determined that it is not a physical problem. I added a couple more litter boxes, and I cleaned all of them morning and evening. The vet gave me instructions of how to "re-teach" him to use his litter box. It didn't work.

After this she (my vet) could determine that his problem was strictly behavioural. He was teed-off at me!

She gave me valium to give him twice daily, to take the "edge" off him. (Listening to his heart, she said he was the most highly stressed cat she has ever seen. I don't know why, he doesn't have a job! But, even as a tiny baby, he screamed if I picked him up as if I were hurting him. His brother couldn't have cared less.)

Thinking back, I can see that he was upset by a major home-relocation. I had also realized that he was nursing way to long. I mentioned to the vet that he was still nursing at 7 months, and she told me his momma should have stopped him at 7 weeks! She told me to interfere and put a stop to it as it was hard on his momma to keep nursing him.

So, we moved and I made him stop nursing... obviously serious crimes in his eyes. (As an aside, he loves the other cats and the dog, so that wasn't the problem.) Then the straw that broke the camel's back was my brother coming over to visit with his two loud (and as far as my stressed cat was concerned, very scary) little girls. Kitty was horrified, and I was punished by his peeing on the bed.

This went on for months. I went out of my way to pay extra attention to him, and apologized many times each day for being a bad bad Jan. With this, along with the effects of the valium, I was forgiven and he quit peeing on the bed.

(I used gallons of Nature's Miracle and Petzyme to eliminate any hint of urine scent that might incite him to repeat his offenses. The heavy vinyl for the bed purchased from Wal Mart's fabric department was SO worth the $25. Waterproof fabric that must be put in the dryer after washing to keep its waterproofness was invaluable as a couch and chair cover. Six hospital pee pads found at Value Village were also worth their weight in gold spread out on the bed after making it each morning. They are easy to wash, and don't allow the pee to seep through.)

That was two years ago. I was able to wean him off his valium after six months. Remember, it is one of the only ways they have to communicate unhappiness or distress to you. Good luck!

Janet (03/10/2007)

By MotherOfTwelveCats

RE: Cat Peeing on Bed

Cat Peeing on Bed

Another thing you might try is regularly feeding kitty his/ her favourite treats on your bed. Cats don't like to eliminate where they eat. (03/12/2007)

By MotherOfTwelveCats

RE: Cat Peeing on Bed

Cat Peeing on Bed

I use a plastic shower curtain with a washable blanket on top to protect our bed. (03/17/2007)

By jacie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

In These Guides
Tabby cat face gazing up
Cat Peeing in the House
Cat peeking over the arm of a purple colored couch.
Keeping Cats from Peeing on Furniture
Pets CatsJune 3, 2016
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Cat on Couch
Keeping Cats from Peeing on a Couch
Mouthwash
Using Mouthwash to Keep Cats from Peeing on Furniture
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 4:59:12 PM on 10.0.0.72 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.