Keeping Clothes Dyed Black From Fading

I have some black clothes that I need to dye to get them black again. Once I do, how can I set the color so that it doesn't fade again?

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Answers:

Keeping Clothes Dyed Black From Fading

I think you're supposed to add a cup of table salt to the dye mixture. I haven't tried this, so I can't say for sure if it works. But salt is pretty cheap. It's worth a try. (11/02/2009)

By Southern Saver

Keeping Clothes Dyed Black From Fading

Seems like all black/dark garments fade after some time. Be careful when laundering them. Use cool water and wash dark clothes together. Don't use powdered detergent as it leaves a film, liquid is best. Turn the items inside out. Don't wash the clothes frequently. Try to get several wearings between washings. Rinse twice to remove soap residue which appears white. Tumble dry inside out on low heat for 10 minutes, then let air dry. It takes a lot of work to keep dark things looking nice. (11/02/2009)

By OliveOyl

Keeping Clothes Dyed Black From Fading

Before their first wash, soak your black garments overnight in lightly salted water, or a solution of vinegar and water. Both salt and vinegar are known to set colors. Vinegar may also be used in the final rinse cycle and black clothes will appear brighter. Any scent should disappear after the clothes have dried. Make sure to wash all your black clothes with like dark colored clothing. Never mix your blacks with light colored clothing when laundering. Lint from light items tends to adhere to darks, causing them to appear fuzz laden. Since black clothes attract lint like magnets, always keep a lint brush handy for quick touch ups. The info should be with the dye, good luck. (11/02/2009)

By kffrmw88

Keeping Clothes Dyed Black From Fading

Vinegar and water solution works great to set color! Also, always wash and dry black or dark clothing turned inside out because that helps keep the outer fabric from being beat up so badly. The washing agitation and dryer tumbling is part of the reason color fades ;-) (11/05/2009)

By Deeli

Keeping Clothes Dyed Black From Fading

Add salt to your final rinse water. (11/05/2009)

By dcsprsmm

Keeping Dark Clothes From Fading
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
dark jeans
Fading Dark Jeans
🎉
🎄