Keeping Clothes Smelling Fresh

Category Clothing
Having fresh smelling garments is easy, when they are stored properly. This guide is about keeping clothes smelling fresh.

For the longest time I had trouble getting my clothes to smell like the expensive soaps and fabric softeners I buy. Immediately out of the dryer, sure they smell good, but days later, my towels never smelled of anything at all. I know for some that is good but I want them to smell like the manufactured dryer sheet because I like that smell.

Then one day, that new washer/dryer sheet thing came in the mail as a sample where you wash with it then move it to the dryer as a softener. It worked great, but they are even more expensive. This made me try something. I threw the regular old dryer sheets into the washer and, holy cow, it worked! Now my clothes hold that smell for weeks and always feel good too. Hope you like the idea!

By Gina from Collegeville, PA

I've been doing the "vinegar thing." I wonder if this strategy would work better? And, if I put the dryer sheet and vinegar both in the wash, will it mess up the scent of the dryer sheet? Hmm...

If you want your clothes and linens to smell especially nice all you have to do is use a dryer sheet or some cotton balls soaked in your favorite perfume and put them into the drawers where your things are kept. Works great!

By Robin

I hope no one takes this advice. Both dryer sheets and fragrances are full of very toxic ingredients, and I hope the person who advised using those will do some research about this. Those of us with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity can be made very ill by just getting one whiff of those things! Please don't use those for anything!

Pour a little baking soda into the bottom of your hamper to help keep your dirty clothes smelling fresh. You can even keep a shaker with baking soda in it near your hamper to shake on top of your clothes when needed. A used and cleaned out parmesan cheese container makes a great shaker for baking soda.

If you put a little scent onto a couple of cotton balls and throw them into drawers and cabinets, they will smell fresh and nice for a long time.

I am going for a long vacation with a lot of traveling and my clothes will be mostly in a suitcase. I want to know how to keep the clothes smelling good.

By Bosy C. from Hatfield, PA

Put in some dryer fabric softener sheets.

Along with the dryer softener sheets that OliveOyl suggested, anytime you will be somewhere more than 24 hours, bring out all your clothes and hang them up around your room for a couple of hours. You can even take your hair dryer and blow them for a minute or two. This will help to air them out.

For your shoes and slippers, sprinkle a little baby powder into each one, then place a softener sheet inside each one. Also, pack a separate bag that you can use specifically for dirty clothes. Other than that, have fun!

Would it be possible for you to take a bottle of febreze spray with you? You could take out the clothes periodically and hang them up if you can, and give them a spray with febreze. That should surely freshen them up.

Take a separate bag, or if that's not possible, some large zip lock type bags to put dirty socks/undies/etc. in until they can be washed. Putting dirty items back in the same suitcase in an differnt pocket still lets the smell get on the clean clothes!