Keeping Copperhead Snakes Out of My Yard

Is there a snake I can keep around my property that will either eat or drive away copperheads? Last year we counted 5 different copperheads in our yard. As far as I know they're still there. I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old who think snakes are great. My 2 year old thinks she can play with them so I am terrified she will get too close to a venomous one. I won't kill them, but if I can get a non-venomous snake to move in to take their place it would be great.

Andrea from Grundy, VA

Answers:

Call your local conservation department. They will surely advise you and/or come get them and relocate them to a better wild area. (01/30/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Black snakes keeps the copperheads away, they kill them. If you don't go the snake against snake route, use sulphur. You can buy sulphur in 25# bags. I use it to keep away snakes of all kinds and it keeps ticks away as well. You shouldn't let your children play around the sulphur for safety sake. What I buy comes in small ball-like pellets, not powder. It does work, I have used it and I don't have any snakes around of any kind. Call the Conservation Office for any other help. (01/30/2009)

By piwacket

There are sites that sell plastic Owls with movable heads for keeping birds and snakes away. Owls eat snakes so they scare them away. The trick is to move them around at least once a week. (01/30/2009)

By Cyinda

Get a tom cat, then they kill rats and snakes. (01/31/2009)

By theseamstress

My grampa used Guineas when he was growing up. They are like watch dogs and very noisy if anything comes around your house, but they eat all kinds of snakes. I have friends that have chickens and one Guinea and they have never seen a snake on their property. (02/03/2009)

If you can locate a king snake, they're good to keep around your house because they eat all other snakes. Or, you can do what I do and spread sulfur powder around the perimeter of your yard, snakes will not cross that. You can get it at just about any garden supply place. (02/03/2009)

By tedsmom

I have black snakes and they do not keep copperheads away. I got rid of the bird feeder. It attracted mice, rabbits, chipmunks, and deer. That in turn attracted the snakes and coyotes. So I just feed birds when we have snow. As the weather channel said food follows food.

Copperhead snake against a white background
Keeping Copperhead Snakes Out of Your Yard
Florida pine snake
Identifying Florida Snakes
A Non-Poisonous Garter Snake.
Identifying Non-Poisonous Snakes
Snake
Deterring Snakes
A garter snake in grass.
Getting Rid of Garter Snakes
🎉
🎄