Keeping Copperhead Snakes Out of Your Yard

Finding venomous snakes in your yard can be very scary. This is a guide about keeping Copperhead snakes out of your yard.

March 7, 2012 Flag

Do copperhead snakes leave scents behind when they are killed to let other copperheads know the area is unoccupied? I ask this because we are staying on a farm and that is what they say. So we respect their wishes and we relocate the copperheads, across a river, instead of killing them.

By A.C.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you checked with the ag (agricultural) extension agent in your county about how to peacefully co-exist with copperheads? The number will be in the white pages of your phone book, or you can check their website by Googling. The website will have a ton of really good, scientifically sound information regarding all kinds of plants and animals found in your area.

I'm not a big fan of copperheads, but good on you for not killing every one you find, as they are actually a beneficial animal.

The presence of more than one indicates an environment favourable to them, might be you have a rodent population the copperheads see as a moveable buffet:) Every rat or squirrel the copperheads eat is one less rodent who might end up in your car, walls or attic chewing electrical wires.

However, copperheads can also hurt you or yours with their very serious bite. Best to get some trained advice from the ag extension agent nearest you.

Snakes do not travel in pairs for one. Two every venomous snake has slit eyes and in the case of copper heads also have venom glands giving them a spade shaped head. Dont listen to idiots telling you the only way to ID. them is to look at their fangs.

October 28, 2009 Flag

I'm having problems with baby copperheads. Just this month I've found three. One of them got into my house. I've lived in the same house for 3 years and never had this problem before. I read that this is the month that they should be hibernating. Why are they moving around and what can I do to locate where they might be? Does this mean that the nest or den is close by?

By Stacy from Honey Grove, TX

Go to Sentinel Electronic Snake Repeller, lot of info there, good luck.

I think for a poisionous snake, I'd hire an exterminator.

I have garter snakes that live between my foundation and the sidewalk. I've had them come into my basement family room. They are very annoying. I live in PA where snakes hibernate for the winter. I understand that snakes don't like strong or bad smells. They are repelled by them. imho, one visit from an exterminator would be well worth the money spent. He can advise you about what you need to do.

Put sulfur out

October 28, 2009 Flag

Is there a snake I can keep around my property that will either eat or drive away copperheads? Last year we counted 5 different copperheads in our yard. As far as I know they're still there. I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old who think snakes are great. My 2 year old thinks she can play with them so I am terrified she will get too close to a venomous one. I won't kill them, but if I can get a non-venomous snake to move in to take their place it would be great.

Andrea from Grundy, VA

Answers:

Keeping Copperhead Snakes Out of My Yard

Call your local conservation department. They will surely advise you and/or come get them and relocate them to a better wild area. (01/30/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Black snakes keeps the copperheads away, they kill them. If you don't go the snake against snake route, use sulphur. You can buy sulphur in 25# bags. I use it to keep away snakes of all kinds and it keeps ticks away as well. You shouldn't let your children play around the sulphur for safety sake. What I buy comes in small ball-like pellets, not powder. It does work, I have used it and I don't have any snakes around of any kind. Call the Conservation Office for any other help. (01/30/2009)

By piwacket

There are sites that sell plastic Owls with movable heads for keeping birds and snakes away. Owls eat snakes so they scare them away. The trick is to move them around at least once a week. (01/30/2009)

By Cyinda

Get a tom cat, then they kill rats and snakes. (01/31/2009)

By theseamstress

My grampa used Guineas when he was growing up. They are like watch dogs and very noisy if anything comes around your house, but they eat all kinds of snakes. I have friends that have chickens and one Guinea and they have never seen a snake on their property. (02/03/2009)

If you can locate a king snake, they're good to keep around your house because they eat all other snakes. Or, you can do what I do and spread sulfur powder around the perimeter of your yard, snakes will not cross that. You can get it at just about any garden supply place. (02/03/2009)

By tedsmom

I have black snakes and they do not keep copperheads away. I got rid of the bird feeder. It attracted mice, rabbits, chipmunks, and deer. That in turn attracted the snakes and coyotes. So I just feed birds when we have snow. As the weather channel said food follows food.

Home and Garden Pest Control SnakesJune 1, 2016
Florida pine snake
Identifying Florida Snakes
A garter snake in grass.
Getting Rid of Garter Snakes
Eastern Garter Snake
The Benefits of Garden Snakes
Snake coiled in an evergreen tree.
Getting Rid of Snakes
🎉
🎄