Keeping Emergency Information Handy

A woman in a doctor's office.
It's important to keep this data where it can be easy to find. This guide is about keeping emergency information handy.

I like to share a health related tip with everyone. It has come in very useful in a numbers of cases and my doctor thinks I'm brilliant for coming up with it. Type or write your name, your medications and dosage, along with any allergies you have on one side of a business card or similar sized card. On the other side, list your doctor and contact information in addition to your In Case of Emergency (ICE) contact information. Laminate the card and keep in your wallet.

This is useful if I have to go to a walk-in clinic and they need to know my medications. It also proved helpful when my partner had to go to emergency and they needed to know his medications. He wasn't able to tell them but since I had his wallet I was able to retrieve the card for the medics. I hope others find this tip as useful as I (and the ones I've done cards for) do.

By sooz from Toronto, ON

My family knows if I am ever in need of medical help and can't speak for myself to get the orange envelope out of my purse. Orange is my favorite color and easily found in my purse. In this envelope I keep: my medical card, medicare card, social security card, list of my medications and medical conditions, card from eye doctor with eye problems on it, hospital choice, list of doctors, etc. I also have a copy of my living will in the envelope. If I have an appointment, I can get at my 'insurance' cards easily, seems they have to copy them every time I go. Keeping the info all together saves time and could save a life.

By knitter926 from Bloomington, IL

Keep a list of surgeries and the current medications (even aspirin) and put this list in your wallet. Update it when needed, and you'll make the doctors job much easier and more accurate for the doctor. Don't even leave out vitamins you're taking.

By Ardis

Answers:

Medical and Insurance Related Information

I keep my insurance related cards in an envelope in my purse along with an index card with all vital info on me: name, address, phone number, doctor's name and number, family emergency numbers, list of my medical problems, and list of current medications taken daily and prescriptions (taken as needed), and hospital preference. This has come in handy in emergencies and when at a new doctors office when I have had to fill out initial information sheet.

(06/14/2005)

By knitter in Illinois

I have in my purse a large (#10) envelope, orange, my favorite color. In this envelope, I keep my medical/insurance cards for when I go to the doctor. Also a card that lists all my medications with dosages, allergies (none), family emergency names and phones, doctor's name, hospital choice, a special eye card concerning eye surgery I had, and pharmacy card. My family knows if there is ever an emergency where this orange envelope is and they can tell medical people where to find it if they (the family) aren't there as yet. When my kids were little, I kept info on them, shots, illnesses, doctor info, etc, on cards in my purse too, saved a lot of memory searching if they went to ER, etc.

By Linda from Bloomington

Answers:

Emergency Envelope

I always kept my kid's shot records in the diaper bag, and now, with my youngest having epilepsy, I have created the Book. It is a three ring binder with separators and page protectors: one for medication information, last er visit and log (for follow up info), directions and test information for the neurologist and diagnostics, and any other information pertinent. We went to the er twice in three days, and a battery of appointments soon after, so the need for all information in one place was a necessity! We also keep a copy of the MRIs in case we go out of town, or a new doc needs to see him (saves explaining every incident by memory!) Because of the size, we keep it in a backpack with extra toys, diapers, and adult personal items (for Murphy's Law) so it can be taken at a moment's notice. (06/07/2006)

By camo_angels

Emergency Envelope

Great ideas! I recently made myself a little medical "photo album"....My husband, myself and one of our children takes medication so I took the print off-s that come with our CVS receipts (stapled to the bag) and put ea in a pocket of the photo album. It's one of those small size albums, with space for perhaps 12 photos, 4 x 6 size. I also typed up pages with our Dr's names with addresses and phone numbers. Our kids had to go to several Dr's after we adopted them and have different things done and treatments and such. I hate to try and remember all that stuff so if I could compile it all and add that to the album that would sure be a time and memory saver!

I do not keep our insurance cards in this album but rather in my wallet. I don't know if I'd ever lose the little photo album but it's always a possibility I could misplace it so feel keeping ins cards in my wallet is safer. (06/07/2006)

By Debbie52