Keeping Flies Out Of Dog's Food

Dog's Food
For dog owners who feed their pets outside, keeping flies off the food can be a challenge. This is a guide about keeping flies out of dog's food.

My brother's dog has flies all over his dry dog food. He has to feed him outside, due to him being an outside dog. He is a Great Dane and way too big for the house. Does anyone know of any tips to keep flies away that will not harm the dog or the food that he will eat? Thanks for any suggestions.

Tammy from Fort Mccoy, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

years ago my mom used those sticky roll tapes that pull down into a curly long piece of tape that has sticky stuff all over it and you just pin or tie it where flies are and they go to it and can not get off. they were sold at the dollar stores and came 4 to a pack for like a dollar or two. you could hang those above the area above the dogs reach but still so flies will land on them to reduce the fly problem.

He could try not free-feeding him, but feeding him at regular times during the day. Putting the food down, and then removing whatever is left after 15 minutes. The dog will quickly learn to eat his portion right away, and then you won't have food lying around for the flies to get at.

You could put a flea collar around the outside of the dish while the food is not in it, so they avoid it and then not show up when he's having his dinner. I agree with the post about not free-choice feeding. My dog and I are bonded with mealtime ritual, and I get to see how her appetite is, and she is so much healthier.

We feed pets on cheap deep discounted holiday sale paper plates, just the amount of food that likely fills their stomachs, at regular times of the day. This way, the plate might stay down between feedings, but is usually licked clean before any pests get to it. Otherwise there is no trustworthy way to keep flies and other things out of the food, wet or dry.

Water bowl is cleaned in soapy water every other day, kept full daily and is enough just for two days, so that mosquitoes, ants, and microscopic pests can't grow there.

I have heard that neighborhood pet bowls draw rats, opossum, wild animals of all varieties of creatures, so it seems to me that for this reason in the beginning. We need to be more responsible to our families, pets, and neighbors.

Although not 100%, some herbs (such as basil) repel flies. I own cats, and found that the best thing to do is feed them, and once they are finished, remove the bowl and put it into the fridge. Otherwise, if the dog is not eating all the food, why not give it a bit less? You can leave some dry biscuits out for it if it gets hungry.

Feed what the dog will eat in one sitting. Then take the dish indoors and put any leftovers back in the sack.

I know this doesn't sound like it would work but we have used this method for years to keep flies away from outside barbeques and dinner parties. Hang clear plastic baggies (you can reuse the ones from your grocery produce) filled with about 1-2 cups of ordinary tapwater around the area where the food is kept. I don't know why it works but the flies won't come near the area. Then I just leave them up until they get dirty looking from dust and then use them to water my plants and pick up my dog's tootsie rolls with the old plastic bags and put up new ones.

Try food grade diatomaceous earth. It is very cheap and I get it at my local feed/farm supply store. It is a powder. I put it on my dog's food every time they eat. It also helps ward off any intestinal parasites they may get. It is a great repellent. It has MANY more uses!

How can you keep them away from moist dog food? I have tried the cider vinegar trick. They still keep coming.

By Ann Marie