Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Groceries Cold

Sometimes we may travel quite a distance when grocery shopping. This is a guide about keeping groceries cold.

April 19, 2016 Flag

Put your perishables in a cooler. This will allow you to make multiple stops and not worry about food spoiling. This tip is especially useful in the warmer months. If it's really hot, throw in a couple of ice packs into the cooler.

Note: I found this cooler at the curb when I was out power-walking. I brought it home, cleaned it up, and it looks like new. Coolers like this are over $35!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've been doing this since I moved to Fl. Always kept a cooler in car .... Otherwise Popsicles and frozen food would never make it home 13 miles from store!

April 14, 2010 Flag

Here in Nebraska, warm weather is just getting started and with that comes the problem of bringing home perishables and ice cream, a must around here. I keep a collapsible cooler under the seat during the season. When I remember, I stick a regular insulated cooler in but if I don't remember, I always have my collapsible one to fall back on. Living 60 miles from town, it is a must. When I check out, I put all of my cold things on the check out stand together and ask that they be sacked separately. That way they also are protected with the plastic.

By latrtatr from Loup City,NE

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

5 stars for you. I have been doing that for 15 years and here in South Georgia we get to carry the cooler year round. If you don't have a soft side or collapsible cooler a couple of diaper bags work pretty good. Wrap ice cream in newspaper then put in diaper bag.

August 12, 2008 Flag

I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work and bought a package of pork chops for that night's dinner. I was concerned about keeping them safely cold in my hot car because I had other stops to make before I got home about two hours later.

My solution was to purchase 2 boxes of frozen chopped spinach also. I placed them on top of the meat package and wrapped it tightly in the grocery store bags and put a blanket (which I carry in my car at all times) around that package to further insulate it from the heat. When I got home the spinach was still frozen solid and the meat was still cold.

The added bonus is two packages of frozen chopped spinach in my freezer and someday I'll have them on hand for a dip recipe or soup, etc. Spinach is not an expensive item to purchase, and we all know how many hours it takes to defrost one of those packages.

By Ruth from Louisville, OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The spinach will work in a jam but try what my parents do:

Leave a small ice chest in the van for this purpose. It doesn't take up much room and when you are not using it for food, you can store other items in it.

January 4, 2012 Flag

Keep a cooler in your car to keep your frozen purchases, meats, and dairy items as cold as you can. If you forget, buy some frozen spinach to help keep things at the proper temperature.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
In These Guides
A woman speaking to a clerk at the grocery store.
Grocery Shopping Tips
Groceries in Car Trunk
Transporting Groceries
Travel and Recreation TravelFebruary 28, 2012
couple reading canned food label at the market
Grocery Shopping Strategies
A paper bag full of groceries
Storing Groceries
Woman leaning on her cart thoughtfully at the grocery store
Frugal Tips for Grocery Shopping
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding, Punch in a punch bowl.
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 19, 2017 at 6:15:14 PM on 10.0.2.60 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.