Keeping Ice Cubes From Melting Together

Both the water dispenser and ice maker broke on our 11 year old fridge. We are waiting for the rest of the fridge to go kaput before we replace it. Repair will be about $300. The fridge isn't worth that amount. When we buy a bag of ice from the store down the street, the ice is still loose in the bag. Within 5 minutes it's in our freezer and later that day, it's a solid block. Any suggestions to keep the cubes loose in the bag for the next few days?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers:

Keeping Ice Cubes From Melting Together

Store them in the freezer in brown paper bags - either lunch size, or grocery bags. They will stay separate until you use them. I guess the trick is that the paper bag absorbs any moisture from the ice cubes, which is what causes them to freeze together.

My brother-in-law taught me this trick years ago, and I remain amazed by it!

Try it - it works. I'm not kidding. (08/11/2008)

By mrsmutt

Keeping Ice Cubes From Melting Together

I waited 10 years for our fridge to die after the ice cube maker quit.

But it sounds like your freezer isn't cold enough, (turn the temp to a lower setting) or maybe it is time to start pricing new fridges.

Consider a scratch and dent place. (08/12/2008)

By no name today

Keeping Ice Cubes From Melting Together

Why not just go to the dollar store and get 3 or 4 ice cube trays for a buck? If you don't have one of those long boxes for the cubes, you can always twist the trays inside a plastic or paper bag.

I keep my 3 trays inside a gallon plastic bag, not closed. It keeps them clean. (08/12/2008)

By Estella

Keeping Ice Cubes From Melting Together

I put the ice in freezer and after about 20-30 minutes take it out and keep dropping it on the floor until they are all broken apart again. (08/12/2008)

By murphthejo

Keeping Ice Cubes From Melting Together

I must say I haven't tried it yet, but out of common sense, listen to this: I used to freeze strawberries right after I had washed them, still wet, and Oh God! How they stuck together when I used them again. My suggestion is: dry your ice cubes when they are separated and put them in the freeze. I'm going to try it right away. Hope you do too and share results later on. Roland (08/14/2008)

By Roland

Keeping Ice Cubes From Melting Together

The real trick is to get the ice in the freezer as soon as possible. It's the melting and water refreezing that makes it stick together. Ice trays are cheap but who wants to use nasty city water in their drinks? I don't. And yes, dropping the bag on the floor works best. Roland? Dry the ice first? Uh, ok....no. (08/22/2008)

By boomboomkitty

Fruit Juice Ice Cubes
Making Ice Cubes
A chunk of stuck together ice cubes.
Keeping Ice Cubes from Sticking
Icemaker Ice
Icemaker Not Dumping Ice
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Crushed Ice
Ice Maker Only Dispensing Crushed Ice
🎉
🎄