Keeping Land Hermit Crabs as Pets

I have recently acquired two Land Hermit Crabs from Petsmart, I have the chlorinated water in a pool and also food. I am needing to see how much saltwater they need. I need experiences from other pet owners in what works for them, and what they do to keep their crabs happy. I have two of them in a bigger than a shoe box plastic receptacle. Do you think this is big enough?

By Robyn

Keeping Land Hermit Crabs as Pets

I did some research at several pet stores and at this site:

I have since moved them to a sweater box, pretty large on and put in coconut bark and sand, bought some hermit crab salt and keep a salt bath in there daily with dechlorinated water, found out that they do well with any fruit, meat, etc as you will see at this site, I also put in crab food, and also let them eat a little greens from time to time and I have more shells in there for them to choose from.

I keep an eye on them for molting and then move them to a moister sand environment to dig in and molt without being eaten by another crab. They are so wonderful as pets, my goal right now is to get more humidity in the cage about 70 percent, so I will put a wet rag in a bowl with declhorinated water and see if that ups the humidity. I need to get a gauge for humidity. Robyn (01/17/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Keeping Land Hermit Crabs as Pets
pet mantis religiosa
Keeping Insects as Pets
Boy Holding Lizard
Keeping Lizards as Pets
hermit crab close up
Caring For a Hermit Crab
Dog at Vet
Spaying or Neutering Your Pets