Keeping Meat that Defrosted

My freezer door was left open over night for about 9 hours. I have thrown out seafood, pork and poultry but would like to know if I can save both beef steaks and lamb steaks and bacon which was still cold and some packs still icy.

Maltpac from Western Australia

Answers:

Keeping Meat that Defrosted

If there is still frozen parts, I'd say yes, I would save them. I have known many many people who have bought previously frozen Chicken, only to take it home and refreeze it, I don't know how they get away with it. My rule of thumb I always used was as long as at least 1/4 of the pkg is still frozen, I refroze it and have never had any troubles. I believe Beef is one meat you can safely refreeze anyways but not 100% sure if I'm remembering correctly (02/08/2008)

By Chicklet

Keeping Meat that Defrosted

Just cook what you can and refreeze it then. Worked for me when that happened. Good luck!
(02/08/2008)

By Monica

Keeping Meat that Defrosted

I have been told by both a butcher and a caterer that I work for, as long as there are some ice crystals, then it can be safely frozen again. I was told that, totally thawed and refrozen meat loses it's water molecules (or something like that) and only effects the flavor and texture of the meat but otherwise, it's fine. But don't take my word for it, as it is only third-hand information, ask a butcher. I have done it many times with no problems. (02/08/2008)

By freebyrdz

Keeping Meat that Defrosted

Copy and paste this pdf link into your address bar: http://healthvermont.gov/enviro/food_lodge/documents/safefoodguide.pdf

Go to page 6 of this document. The paragraph is entitled "thawed food". This safety guide is a keeper. I didn't know much of this before. Sorry about your dilemma.
(02/09/2008)

By tyara

Keeping Meat that Defrosted

What my mother and my ex used to do was to go ahead and cook the meat as you would have and freeze the cooked meat just as if it were a leftover. I don't completely trust ANY meat or fish that unless I can catch it right away so I can cook it then freeze it like a leftover. (02/12/2008)

By Steve

Keeping Meat that Defrosted

You know it takes a while for the meat to thaw out anyway, so it probably would have been OK to cook the meat that was thawed out, because it took awhile to thaw out. As long as the meat felt cool and now warm, I would have cooked and then refroze it. As for the seafood, that I would throw out. I have always heard that if it has ice crystals still on it, it is fine to refreeze. Good Luck.
(02/12/2008)

By Madeline

Keeping Meat that Defrosted
Cooking Chicken Meat
Tips for Cooking Meat
A frozen piece of meat.
Freezing Meat
thawed pork chop
Refreezing Thawed Meat
Frozen Steak
Safely Defrosting Meat
🎄
🍂