Keeping Onion and Garlic Powder from Caking

Category Food Fixes
garlic powder
Once opened vegetable powders often stick together and making it difficult to use. This guide is about keeping onion and garlic powder from caking.

I always had trouble with onion powder (and other powders) caking soon after the container was opened. To measure an amount, I would have to gouge out a lump and rub it through a sieve.

Not any more. I save those little desiccant containers that come in many over the counter medicines. I place one in a newly purchased bottle of onion powder (or a bottle of powder I have salvaged by rubbing through a sieve). Voilà! Months later, the powder hasn't caked and dispenses freely.

Directions:

Anyone have a real solution for keeping garlic and onion salts and powders from caking beyond use right after opening? I am careful to tighten tops, and only buy the small bottles.

By Cay from Green Cove Springs, FL

Best Answer

I have the same problem and I think it comes from shaking the seasoning bottles over the steaming product that you are seasoning. What I do, when I need some of the caked product is to tap the bottle against the edge of the counter. Actually if I need a larger amount of the product I take the shaker part off the bottle and reach in with a spoon. Something I learned from my late mother about chili powder, it can get little bugs/worms in it and after the first time she discovered that she kept it in the refrigerator.