Keeping Onion and Garlic Powder from Caking

garlic powder

Once opened vegetable powders often stick together and making it difficult to use. This guide is about keeping onion and garlic powder from caking.

Solutions: Keeping Onion and Garlic Powder from Caking

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Prevent Onion Powder From Caking

I always had trouble with onion powder (and other powders) caking soon after the container was opened. To measure an amount, I would have to gouge out a lump and rub it through a sieve.

Not any more. I save those little desiccant containers that come in many over the counter medicines. I place one in a newly purchased bottle of onion powder (or a bottle of powder I have salvaged by rubbing through a sieve). Voilà! Months later, the powder hasn't caked and dispenses freely.

Desicant capsule.

By likekinds [108]

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Keeping Onion and Garlic Powder from Caking.

Question: Keeping Garlic and Onion Salts and Powders from Caking

Anyone have a real solution for keeping garlic and onion salts and powders from caking beyond use right after opening? I am careful to tighten tops, and only buy the small bottles.

By Cay from Green Cove Springs, FL

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Best Answer

By redhatterb [1] 03/23/2014

I have the same problem and I think it comes from shaking the seasoning bottles over the steaming product that you are seasoning. What I do, when I need some of the caked product is to tap the bottle against the edge of the counter. Actually if I need a larger amount of the product I take the shaker part off the bottle and reach in with a spoon. Something I learned from my late mother about chili powder, it can get little bugs/worms in it and after the first time she discovered that she kept it in the refrigerator.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No