Keeping Rabbits Out Of Yard

I have a friend who just lost an entire trellis of morning glories. Seems a rabbit is making him or herself at home in her yard. Are there any safe ways to repel rabbits without harming them?

Sharon from Clearwater, FL

Answers:

Keeping Rabbits Out Of Yard

Please, please do not harm the rabbits. All they are doing is trying to stay alive.

I've read that dried blood meal or human hair sprinkled around plants can deter rabbits from consuming. Fencing the area or putting vulnerable plants in hanging baskets is another option.

I just lost a little cottontail bunny last night that was rescued because it's mother had died. ( I have 19 years of experience keeping house rabbits, so my field of knowledge is pretty wide.) He was precious, but only lived two weeks. I saved him from certain death from the prey animals in our rural community. I would do it all again to give him a chance.

Please respect the animals.

Melody in WA (06/11/2008)

By rabbit10mom

Keeping Rabbits Out Of Yard

You can also sprinkle cayenne pepper around the outside of your plot or around your plants. I use it regularly to discourage them "munching" in my garden. (06/13/2008)

By doccat5

Keeping Rabbits Out Of Yard

I use a mixture of fresh chives that I grow and I cut up. I add to coffee grounds, used. I read this on the computer last year and tried it. Not only did it keep away rabbits, it also worked on insects and snakes. Go figure. (06/15/2008)

By DeniseW.