Keeping The Ground Under a Bird Feeder Clean

Bird Eating from Bird Feeder
The area under our garden bird feeders can quickly become a mess of cracked seed shells, uneaten food, or a delightful sunflower garden. This is a guide about keeping the ground under a bird feeder clean.

How does one keep the ground below a bird feeder clear of the cracked seeds?

Olly from Victoria, Canada

Answer Was this helpful? 1

It gives me such pleasure to feed the birds that I don't mind having to sweep up under the feeders every day, which is the only good way I've found to keep up with the mess. They love the black oil sunflower seeds so much, so this is what I mainly use, as the sunflower hearts are too expensive for me to use exclusively. I do have a peanut feeder for clinging birds, like chickadees and titmice, and several suet feeders, which don't make any mess at all. Aside from the shells, it's better for the health of the wild birds to rake and sweep up under the feeders regularly, just to keep it clean for them, especially after wet weather. Hope you have lots of interesting visitors to your feeders this spring!

The seed that falls from the feeder will benefit Mourning Doves, Brown Thrasher, Brown-Headed Cow Birds and other ground feeders... Get set to watch even more birds...

I sweep the hulls up and add them to the compost pile. This spring I have an abundant supply of sunflowers, of which I thinned and left to grow.