Keeping Weeds From Growing Between Pavers

How do I keep weeds from growing between block paving?

By Irene

Try spraying with vinegar, but keep away from grass or any other plants, as it will kill them as well!

The best thing to do is to pull up the pavers, pull all the weeds being careful to get the roots. Next lay down thick plastic sheeting (Visqueen, a thick tarp, an old heavy duty vinyl tablecloth or shower curtain), then replace the pavers, and brush sand or dirt into the spaces between the pavers.

Weeds and moss will still try to grow in that tiny bit of sand or soil of course, but won't have deep roots because of the plastic barrier, so they will be easy to pull.

You could use cement mortar in between the pavers, but it won't completely eliminate the potential for weeds and mosses growing up between the pavers-as time goes by, soil will accumulate no matter what, and you will have to do some spot weeding especially if your mortar has cracked due to time and weather.

I live in the UK now, and have just found the most amazing tool in the plant nurseries here! It's a wire brush on a broom handle. It is very narrow at the business end, the bristles taper together to fit in between the pavers. Apparently you just stand there and scrub the weeds away. I'm not spending £15 on it, though. Instead I'm going to see if the side of a wire brush we already have works-if it does, good bye weedy pavers!

Re. wire brush, works like a dream for a few days, but wire soon just wears away, used my husband's quite expensive wire brushes next, soon wore out, I was not popular

Dear Frugal,

The problem with weeds growing within the pavers is that they don't grow underneath but they grow in between the pavers. If you can find a solution to this problem then my friend you have the problem solved!

You can get these in b&m for a fraction of the price, around 2.99 or £1 for a short handled version. They also have a sharpened metal part to help scrape out any stubborn weeds

My husband and I pour boiling water between the pavers and cracks in the sidewalk and driveway. This kills the weeds (and ants) but doesn't add anything toxic to the environment. It doesn't prevent them but it does keep them at bay.

Weeds Between Bricks
Preventing and Killing Weeds Between Bricks
Home and Garden Gardening WeedsJuly 12, 2011
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Weeds Between Pavers
Removing Weeds Between Pavers
Hand picking weeds
Controlling Weeds Organically
Gravel Driveway
Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel