Keeping Your Dogs from Fighting

Two German Shepherd type dogs fighting.
Even dogs that have lived together for a time can get into fights over things such as food, toys, or dominance issues. This is a guide about keeping your dogs from fighting.

I am the owner of 3 Pit Bulls, a mom and her two daughters who are now almost 2 years old. I think I am having a pack issue. Well the girls are fighting like crazy I have already spent close to a grand in vet bills. I am not sure that any obedience training will do any good. Since the first really bad fight happened it has only escalated. Now I have to keep them separate. I have a close friend who is willing to take one of the girls, but it just breaks my heart. Help!

By Darlene V.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

With no disrespect it will break your heart when these three females kill each other. Even if the parent animal and off-springs are de-sexed they will fight for domination and do you really want to see them tear each other to shreads. You have a "fighting breed" to start with and have escalated the problem by having three "same sex" animals together. For God's sake in the best interest of the Dogs keep the mum (if you must) and surrender the two daughters to the RSPCA. your Vet will not be happy to lose on-going finance and can't understand their attitude in all of this.

Hi There,

I have the utmost respect for all pit bull owners, I love the breed myself. I have found no better resource on pit bull behavior and getting along then this rescue out of Seattle. I wish we had a program here like they have. If you go here you will find a lot of wonderful information!

http://www.bullseyerescue.org/

Good luck and give them all a pat!

http://www.bullseyerescue.org/

Blessings,

Robyn

Anonymous

For goodness sake, if your friend is willing to take one of the girls just do it! Why should that break your heart? You'll still be able to visit her! The longer you allow this to go on the larger this problem is going to grow and it could cause permanent negative behavioral problems. And as FARSTAR mentioned, your heart is going to break a whole lot more when (and it will eventually happen) one of them kills the other. I mean no offense but your selfishness is harming both those girls in one way or another and maybe even the mom too.

I also hope you've already had all three of the females spayed and, if not, do so as soon as possible. There are already enough unwanted and abused dogs in this world. :-(

I have 2 Pit Bulls, Ricco who is a year and 3 months and Ace Boogie, who is a year and 2 weeks. For the most part Ricco is very dominant over Ace, but Ace has been fine with that (Ace weighs about 14 more lbs that Ricco).

Today and about 2 weeks ago, they had the worst fight over a bone. They would not let each other go and there was a lot of blood and punctures. The only thing that got them off each other was a pitcher of water that I had in the fridge.

Two minutes after I separated them, they were back to normal, licking each others wounds and playing nicely. I am worried that these fights are going to keep happening, and that one of them will get really hurt. Please do not suggest I give them up or keep them separated, this is not an option I am willing to accept. Thank you.

By Yessy from Bossier City, LA

First, if your dogs are not neutered, then you definitely need to make sure that is done. Also, it is not uncommon for 2 dogs of the same sex living in the same household to have a problem with the dominance issue. Cesar Millan has some great books. I would read them and I will contact a behaviorist before one of your dogs kills the other. With pit bulls, believe me, they are more than strong enough to kill each other.

First, it is good to understand the background of a dog and the purpose for which it was intended. Pit bulls where bred to fight to the death other dogs for sport. This is bred into their nature.

I have a boxer, which were bred to go out into the fields, etc, to chase down wild boar, etc. They were to hold them down until a hunter arrived. Now, I love to fetch with a dog. However, it is not in my dog's nature to fetch. I would have to teach him to fetch. If I didn't wish to teach a dog to fetch, I would have a lab, whose intended purpose is to go out and bring back a duck (fetching).

That being said, due to the nature of what a pit has been bred for, I would suggest that you contact a good dog trainer in your area. He/she would be able to advise you and help you train your dogs to be able to get along.

Because of the fact that this is a life-threatening issue (of your dogs), I would not attempt to read a book and train on your own. Then, your last resort would be to rehome one of the dogs. At least you could have the piece of mind knowing that you did the absolute most you could to to preserve the situation. Good luck!

I have two dogs, I have a female that is a Chihuahua mix. She is 4 years old. I also have a male dog that is a Pit Bull blue nose mix with red nose. He is 7 months old. They get along really good they even sleep together, but today they just started fighting out of nowhere and I'm scared. I don't want to give one alway. I love them both. What can I do? Please help me.

One of your dogs is a "red zone" dog. That's a dog that can become aggressive. While most do not, the possibility exists. He is reaching sexual maturity and you can expect to see changes in him. You will need to educate yourself about this breed of dog, and then act on what you know to be a responsible owner; and protect your smaller dog. I would start with Cesar Milans website as he specializes in this breed of dog. An ignorant owner is a dangerous owner. Don't be one.

Dogs Fighting for Dominance
We have two lab mix male dogs which were from the same litter. We have had a problem with fighting over dominance since we got them almost three years ago. We are at our wits end and are at the present time trying to find a new home for one of them. This is extremely heartbreaking. We have spent hundreds of hours reading books and online trying to find answers.

Our vet tells us there is nothing more that we can do except to re-home one of them. Does anyone have something that has worked for them? It was only after we had had them for about a year, that we found out you should never adopt two dogs of the same sex from the same litter. Of course, then, we were too attached to them. We thought they would outgrow it.

The picture here is of the two of them in a portrait I painted of them.

Debby from Edmond, OK

Answers:

Dogs Fighting for Dominance

Hi, I would try reading this article. It looks like the issue is one of the dogs consider themselves the "dominant". What has to happen is you have to be the dominant in the pack and both dogs need to know that they are the omegas.
(10/30/2008)

By schubunny

Dogs Fighting for Dominance

I agree with above posts. Also you have to sure you are the "leader" or dominant one of the pack. Watch Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer) on Animal Planet. He has great technique. (10/31/2008)

By Kathleen

Dogs Fighting for Dominance

Thanks for the responses.

Our dogs are very obedient to my husband and I. We are definitely the "top dogs". Both dogs do the submissive roll overs for us both. We always make sure we eat first, go out the door first, come back in first, make them sit and stay, make them sit or lie down for everything. We know all about being calm and assertive. They are each truly lovable dogs and gentle, except to each other. We practice the "nothing in life is free" training. I have every Cesar Milan book and video. I have books and videos from numerous other dog experts, as well.

We have found no way to stop the fighting once it starts, except to pull them apart, which is dangerous. We've tried air horns, pepper spray, water, blankets, hair spray. Nothing stops them until one of them gives up. They have suffered numerous injuries as a result. They weigh 88 lbs each and you cannot do an alpha roll on them when they are fighting. It's impossible.

I know I'm asking a lot. But, I want to feel better about our decision to re-home one of them. I feel like they are not getting the best that they deserve. It just doesn't seem fair that they should have to live this way. We cannot love either of them the way we would like because of the fear of setting them off.

I agree with you, Robin, we have to be so vigilant that we hardly ever take them on walks or in the car. We haven't, however, been able to figure out just what sets them off. It's just really sad.

And, yes, they were neutered before we brought them home. (10/31/2008)

By Artlady

Dogs Fighting for Dominance

I have 8 dogs and have a similar problem with 2 boys from the same litter. They are a year old now and I will have them fixed soon. I have the same problem with especially one attacking the others when he can't get to a cat/dog he sees on the street. One thing that has worked for me is an animating spray. It's supposed to be used on females back legs/tail during heat. They hate it and when they get angry and are about to fight I threaten them with the spray.

They are smart and know what the word means so when the growling begins I say "Who needs the spray?" it usually works. They love their weekly bones so if I have some in the refrigerator I can distract them that way too as they know what the word means and run to the refrigerator when they hear it, forgetting everything else. They are still young though. My husky and another female (1/3 her size, but with a temper) have had numerous fights. I now have the other female on half a Rivotril everyday and this has helped 90%. Rivotril is a mild muscle relaxant. (11/01/2008)

By Christina