Keeping Your House Smelling Nice With Smokers

Having a nice smelling home is hard at times. We have smokers here and also 2 dogs and a cat, so pet odors are more than likely present. I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas on how I can keep my house smelling clean and fresh.

Thanks for any help.

Yvonne from Ontario

Answers:

Keeping Your House Smelling Nice With Smokers and Pets

I heard that if you boil vermouth on the stove in water you can clean the air of almost everything that smells bad. You could also try boiling spices on your stove, that works for sure. (01/05/2006)

By Colleen from Ottawa

I boil vinegar on the stove to get rid of the smoke odor. My girlfriend places a small cup of vinegar in the room when people smoke. My son lights incense. I love the smell of apple pie spice and vanilla simmering on the stove.

Love & Prayers, Linda (01/05/2006)

By lindaljh1

Hi Yvonne,

Along the same lines as Linda and Colleen, I bought some potpourri that doesn't do much if you put it out in a dish, but if I simmer it on the stove, the scent goes all over my 1-BR apt. And if you buy a fairly good quality potpourri (I know it can be expensive) you can keep using it over and over.

But the thing with simmering on the stove is the evaporating water! It can be dangerous (for me and other absent-minded people) because it's easy to forget to keep an eye on it. But it's great if you have visitors coming over, because it smells nice as soon as you walk in the door.

I also put some Bounce sheets in a very tiny vase in my bathroom and the scent lasts for days. Looks a little silly, but smells great!

Hope that helps,
Donna M. (01/06/2006)

By Ladymadonna

Placing baking soda in the ash trays and also in the litter boxes. You can shake some on the carpet and let it sit in for few minutes before you vacuum. You can also add things like cinnamon or nutmeg, or lemon peel (dried spices) to the baking soda and then sprinkle it on your floor before vacuuming. It's natural so it doesn't hurt animals. (01/06/2006)

By onixxx888

Love all the ideas. Thanks so much everyone!

Hugs, Yvonne (01/06/2006)

By Canookie

All smoking OUTSIDE to start with. Much healthier for any who don't smoke. Less smell inside. (01/06/2006)

By aardvark

Try dabbing a little vanilla on your light bulbs. Also you can put cotton balls with vanilla on them around in hidden places. (01/07/2006)

By Bonnie

After the holidays I bought some apple spice tea/ mulling spice at a very good price (75% off). I put 2 of the tea bags, a few whole cloves, and 1/2 of a small cinnamon stick (several pieces from the 99 cent store) in my electric potpourri pot. I have arthritis in my hands so I use pliers to break the cinnamon sticks. I now use just one tea bag and it makes the whole house smell nice. Now and then I have to go to the kitchen anyway so I can add hot water as needed to the pot. Just set an alarm clock to ring before you go to bed (or leave the house) to remind yourself to unplug the simmering pot. (04/12/2006)

By Great Granny Vi

I'm a smoker also. I keep baking soda in my ashtrays, empty often, and I empty and clean them at night. Also a couple times a week before I go to bed I sprinkle all my carpets with baking soda and vacuum the next morning. (06/08/2008)

By keeper60

Every morning I open all my windows. No matter what season (summer open them early) I burn oils from bath and body works, and man are they nice! I have two cats and everyone that comes to my house is very surprised that my house doesn't smell. I also keep my whole house very clean. I make sure no dishes are left out, blinds wiped at least once a month, I change my sheets every week, wipe the bathroom down everyday, and damp mop my hardwood floors everyday. (06/25/2008)

By KJ

Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
Keeping Your House Dusted
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Clothing stored in a closet.
Keeping Clothes Smelling Fresh
🎉
🎄