Keeping a Cat From Waking You Up

A cat sleeping on top of a woman.
Breaking your cat's habit of starting your day before you want it to, can be a challenge. This guide is about keeping a cat from waking you up.

I rescued a 4 week old kitten; she is now 3 months old. She wakes each morning at 4 AM - full of pep and energy. How can I break her of this early wakeup?

By Mary N.

There's no helping the fact that kittens are going to wake you up at all hours because they are extremely curious and energetic. Expect to deal with this for at least two years to varying degrees (Kittens are so cute you can't possibly stay mad at them, right?).

However, you can mitigate this by giving the kitten toys and play areas to enable self-entertainment. Keep noisy things like paper and plastic bags out of sleeping rooms. You will ideally need to play with your kitten until she stops playing several times a day, but especially right before bed to keep her from having energy at night.

Some cats get hungry at night and if that is the case make sure her bowl is full before bed. Try to keep the same schedule and your kitten will do the same. Squirt guns are good for training and stopping cats no matter the age. I always keep one by my bed quickdraw-ready to discourage late night antics from my cats.