Keeping a Dog Warm at Night

Many dog owners look for ways to keep their pets warm and cozy at night when the temperatures begin to drop. This is a guide about keeping a dog warm at night.

November 22, 2006 Flag

How do I keep my dog's blanket on at night? She's 16, we get up 2 or 3 times at night to go outside, but I have to check on her every couple of hours at night because she also gets up to get a drink of water or nibble on her food. Then she goes back to her bed and gets cold sitting on top of her blanket, until I wake up and cover her up again. I love her dearly and need to figure this out. Thanks very much to all.

Best Answer

You could get your dog a sweater to wear at night.

Best Answer

My female Dobies have always required being covered, especially at night. In the summer they were uncomfortable from the A/C and in the winter the house was never warm enough for them.

I have a wicker sofa at the foot of my bed and during the night the girls would sleep on that. Yes, they would also get up for water, etc., or just to turn around. It was easy for me to cover them up as I didn't have to walk far. In the winter I found that one of the oil filled portable heaters near her bed helped keep her warm.

Good luck, let us know!

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

Best Answer

How about a pet sleeping bag? You can make it yourself and keep the cost down. You can use old wire hangers to make the opening, but be sure to wrap or insulate them first to avoid any danger. It's kind og hard to explain, so I've uploaded a picture you can download to kind of get the idea of what I mean. An old doona is perfect to use and you can always put a hot water bottle in the bottom too for extra snuggliness. If you use wire hangers and make two rings and place them in sort of a triangle, (together at the top, but apart at the bottom,) the sleeping will stay open and accessible. My old cats love theirs.

Here's the link to download a picture, just to give you an idea:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qzcuxy

The download link is only good for 25 downloads only so should it run out, I'll upload it again if anyone wants it. Just post it here and I'll upload it again. I hope you can use this idea. (PS) Leave a small opening when you sew in the wire so you can take them out when you need to wash the sleeping bag.

Best Answer

We just had a craft show yesterday and my sister sold these little pillows she made that had rice in them. She used fleece type fabrics. You put the pillows in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes to heat them up. They are wonderful for many uses. To lay on your sore muscles or joints for pain. She made tiny ones for kids for ear aches.You can also put them in the freezer to be cold for hours too.To use on tooth aches head aches, etc.

The rice makes them mold to your body structure. I used one last night on my stiff neck.It stayed warm for almost 2 hours. You can make them in any size or shape. You could make your dog one the exact size of his bed and heat it up for about 1-2 minutes then add a towel or blanket over it which will hold in the heat also. Test in first with your hand to make sure its not too hot. Some people use beans or corn for this also.But the rice is smaller and forms better when you are against it.

There's no way to wash them so after a long while just toss away and make a new one. You could also toss a towel or her sweater in the dryer for a bit right before bed and put it on her which will keep her warm a bit longer.

If your dog is healthy her hair should be enough to keep her warm alone. But if shes old with arthritis or takes medicines her blood circulation is low and that's why she's colder. Just like us aging humans no different. Also try warm booties for her feet made from any type fleece Even use warm baby socks on her at night.

We use to keep one of those heat lamps suspended above our dog's bed. Don't put it too close, leave plenty of room for your dog to move in and out of the bed, just low enough so your dog can feel the heat. This worked for us.

I make covers for my old dogs beds from curtain material that has the sun block out. It reflects their own body heat thus keeping them warm without overheating. And my dogs sleep inside all year round regardless of their age.

Bring the dog inside. She has no business being out in the cold day or night. She has served you sixteen years. Let her in the house in her old age.

I bought a bunch of those swim noodles that went on sale at the end of summer. I split them in half and cut them to length and used constuction glue to mount them to the floor and walls of the dog's insulated house, then mounted one of those clip on metal lamps to the roof peak with an incadescent bulb in it. Along with his doggie bed with a body heat reflecting pad and overlapping cut clear plastic carpet runner strips on the door. By orienting the house so that the door is away from the prevailing winds and By turning the light off and on depending on the temp outside, his dog house stays in the 60's even when it gets down to 20 outside. I have tested it using one of the thermometers that record the high/low temps for the past 24 hours.

Go back to sleep. No dog irrespective of age should be living in cold conditions. And at her age she should be with an owner who will care for her in the way she deserves. Inside the house with a warm "dog coat" feed at the correct time and she will have no reason to eat during the night. She will soon cross the "rainbow bridge" and not worry anyone.

My dog was always inside with us. He was very clean, never a problem, just knew he was a very cold "natured" dog.

Pets Dogs AdviceJune 12, 2013
moonflower closeup
Growing Moonflowers
Getting a Good Night's Sleep
Getting a Good Night's Sleep
A fan used for keeping cool
Keeping Cool on Hot Nights
sleeping boxer
Dog Won't Sleep Through the Night
🎉
🎄