Kenmore Freezer Keeps Thawing and Refreezing

Category Freezer
This guide contains advice for a Kenmore freezer that keeps thawing and refreezing. Food that doesn't remain frozen can pose a serious health risk. It is also quite expensive if you lose all of the food in your freezer.

I have a bottom freezer drawer (2011 Kenmore) and it is freezing, thawing, and refreezing. I know this because frost forms on my food. I don't keep food in the freezer longer than 2 - 4 months. One repairman I had come suggested I needed to recharge with Freon. In reading about this, it seems other issues could be possible. Can anyone give guidance on this?

The Kenmore site below takes you to Kenmore's customer service site. You can email or call their customer line for help.

http://www.kenm … /contact-us.html

I don't know that frost forms on food because of thaw/freeze cycle. I have bagels, for example that have a lot of frost inside the bag when I take them out. I do not know exactly why that happens, but I do know it has nothing to do with thawing and refreezing again. I suspect it has something to do with the amount of moisture in the food to begin with, the length of time I have the food in the freezer, the amount of times I open and shut the freezer (which lets warm, moister air inside the freezer). If your freezer was thawing and refreezing food, you should find more evidence than frost. You should find food that is mushy and then frozen into the mushy state. Sometime when you open the freezer, you should notice that it is warmer than it should be. Do you find any of these things? Freezers in refrigerators are not as good as dedicated freezers for keeping foods for a long time. There may not be anything wrong with your freezer at all. Try putting a thermometer in there, and seeing what the temperature is; keep track over a week or so to see if you have a problem.