Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice

Category Ice Machines
This is a guide about ice maker won't stop making ice. An ice maker that won't stop making ice can make a real mess in your freezer and lead to other problems.

What is the worst case scenario if the ice maker keeps on making ice and does not shut off and I am away on vacation for four days?

Most like you would come home to a mess in your freezer, of ice everywhere. All of the ice makers I have seen have a way to turn them off. I would turn it off before I left for vacation.

I have a Kenmore side-by-side that keeps making ice. We have to dump it a couple of times a day. The control arm is in the off position and it still makes ice. This is a through the door ice and water dispenser type unit.
Thanks for any help.

By Bob R. from Coloma, MI

It sounds like you will need a repairman. There is probably a part in the arm that is broken like a small spring or piece of metal. If you don't want it to make any more ice you can shut off the water. The thin copper pipe that supplies water to the fridge has a cut-off switch, usually near where it starts, mine is under the kitchen sink.

Try resetting: lift arm all the way up wait a few seconds then put it back down. This trick has worked for me and family. It cost nothing to do, try it. Good luck.

My Kenmore side by side refrigerator's ice maker, style 2, won't shut off. I turned the switch off, cleaned the sensor lights, even taped paper over the sensor, but it keeps making ice. Help!

By Tom from Richmond, VA

I'd call Sears and ask them what might be wrong, that sounds like something out of an "I Love Lucy" episode. :(

My icemaker in my Kenmore refrigerator does not stop making ice cubes. Even if I turn off the icemaker control, it keeps on working.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.

By seger