Sewing MachinesMachines

Kenmore Sewing Machine Freezing

My Kenmore sewing machine model 158.16800 freezes. I will help it along with the hand wheel, and it goes for a little bit, then freezes again in the down position. You can hear it humming when it's stuck. It is stitching fine when it does move. I don't have a manual so, any help is grateful. Thank you.

By Toni H.

Best Answer

First of all, it sounds as though the belt is worn, or there is a clump of lint/fluff caught up in there somewhere - but your problem could be a worn gear, too.

Best to take it to Sears to have it gone over by a qualified, factory trained repair tech. For under $100USD they will get your machine running smoothly and do a complete servicing with a heads-up to you should there be a looming part fail too.

And they'll be able to hook you up with a new manual as well, either as a free PDF download you can then print at home, or as a hard copy (usually spiral bound, win-win!) at a reasonable price.

I have a Kenmore 10 stitch machine. It did the same thing. I oiled the machine according to the manual but there's a place deep inside you have to oil. That will fix your problem. After I oiled mine I had no problems. Watch all of the moving parts as you turn the crank by hand and oil it if it moves.