Killing Grass in Rock Ground Cover

Question:

Do you know of any homemade weed killing formulas to get rid of small patches of grass growing up through my rock ground cover?

Sharon K. Palmer From Las Vegas, NV

Answer:

Sharon,

Here is a recipe for homemade weed killer. Spray it directly on small patches of grass growing up through your rock ground cover. You can also use it to kill weeds in gravel walks, between bricks or stones in walkways and paths and on weeds growing between cracks in your driveway or sidewalk. Be careful not to spray it on plants that you want to keep because it doesn't discriminate. Also, don't spray it on bare soil in areas where you intend to plant or garden in the future.

• 1 tbsp. of ivory dish soap
  • 1 cup of regular table salt
  • 1 gallon of white vinegar

Another variation:

• 1 tbsp. alcohol (spirits)
  • 1 tbsp. of vinegar
  • 1 tsp. of ivory dish soap
  • 1 qt. of hot water

Mix ingredients well and transfer into a hand-held spray bottle for application.

Ellen

More Answers:

Vinegar

Try straight vinegar. Pour it onto the weeds and let the hot sun bake it. You can see the weeds die within the hour on a hot day. It unfortunately doesn't kill the roots so when they come back pour more! Happy Gardening!

By Connie A.

Boiling Water

Boiling water is one way, and is the least harmful to the environment. Vinegar is another but it will upset the PH balance.

By MJM

Rock Salt

I use salt. I like rock salt or the salt you use in water softners, but be careful if you have any plants you want to keep, because it kills everything and it does not come back.

By Karen

20% Vinegar

Spray with 20% strength vinegar from a plant nursery or Home Depot on a hot, sunny, dry day. Be careful, this stuff is potent. 10% vinegar also exists - and the one you use depends on the plants.

By Cookwie

Block the Sunlight

I cover the area, even if it is small with black plastic. I weight it down with rocks or something. I also use metal jar lids, anything that will cover the weed and block out the sun and light completely. I killed a tree stump one time this way. I used a bucket.

By Suzq

Vinegar Warning

White vinegar works very well but be careful not to get it on any plants you don't want to die. The plants won't come back. I once sprayed a patch of dollar weeds in my front yard and they died but there was a bare area until the grass grew over it!

By ldyharley

Killing Grass in Rock Ground Cover

Answers:

Killing Grass in Rock Ground Cover

You might need to more permanently solve the problem by doubling the depth of the gravel. Nobody can expect two or four inches of gravel to stay weed-free. It's worth it to take off the gravel you have and remove dirt to make room for deeper gravel. If you're serious about solving this once and for all, this is what you gotta do. If you use a fabric-type weed blocker cloth, and you don't have enough gravel over it, then weed seeds will land on it, sprout and sink roots into your cloth 'barrier'. Good luck, and don't use salt or vinegar that washes into the lawn next to the gravel! (08/30/2007)

By kimhis

Feedbak Formatting (For Articles)

Killing Grass in Rock Ground Cover

You might need to more permanently solve the problem by doubling the depth of the gravel. Nobody can expect two or four inches of gravel to stay weed-free. It's worth it to take off the gravel you have and remove dirt to make room for deeper gravel. If you're serious about solving this once and for all, this is what you gotta do. If you use a fabric-type weed blocker cloth, and you don't have enough gravel over it, then weed seeds will land on it, sprout and sink roots into your cloth 'barrier'. Good luck, and don't use salt or vinegar that washes into the lawn next to the gravel!

By kimhis