Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice

You have decided not to replace the cabinets, but rather to paint them to coordinate with your kitchen remodel. Choosing the right color is your next decision. This is a guide about kitchen cabinet paint color advice.

February 22, 2017 Flag

My cabinets are a light taupe, see door pic and the countertop is granite Hidden Treasure, see pic. I am trying to decide between 2 floors see 2 pics. One is more of a beige/grey/black and the other is more of a natural yellowy orange for warmth. What Benjamin Moore paint color for each floor and what floor do you suggest? I've been losing sleep over this!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You have made an excellent choice! Those colors really bring out a striking quality in your kitchen. That granite contertop is fantastic and the floors are marvelous.

January 19, 2017 Flag

I recently purchased a home and won't be starting a kitchen remodel for 18-24 months. My biggest issue is the ridiculously dark cabinets and countertop. For the time being, does anyone have suggestions for cabinet and wall paint colors to brighten/neutralize the avocado green countertops and backsplash? I am not opposed to anything retro and love color. I actually would like to do accent pieces in bright orange. White cabinets would be OK, but I really like a two tone kitchen (top and bottom cabinets different colors). However, I'm concerned about the limited color choice, due to the green counter. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Please excuse the mess, we're still in the process of unpacking and settling.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Like havanadaydream I would paint the upper cabinets white and then antique the with an antiquing medium for an off white look. But, I would paint the lower lower cabinets the same, put a piece of stainless steel behind your stove and paint your backsplash burnt orange to pop. This would really brighten up your kitchen!

October 10, 2016 Flag

Our kitchen has good cabinets, but they are pickled oak with really pink counter tops. We painted the walls tan or coconut milk whichever and the floors are light tan tile. I am thinking about painting the cabinets white and changing the hardware to silver and changing counter tops to a tan or brownish laminate. What do you think?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I happen to think that pink countertops sound super fun. What I would do is keep a tiki-MIami theme, make the cabinets light turquoise, the walls cadmium yellow, and the hardware red or other exciting colours.

April 10, 2016 Flag

I have dark brown kitchen walls, which I love. What color should I paint my cabinets besides white?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Depends what color are your curtains or if you don't have curtains you can match the color to a color in that's in your kitchen towels or rug, appliances etc... because you want to tie it all together at least that's what I would do but you can always just google it like this and see a bunch of ideas :) https://www.goo  f-8&oe=utf-8

April 6, 2015 Flag

We are going to do a minor update on our terribly outdated kitchen. If it was up to me, I'd be tearing out the whole thing and starting over. It currently has very dark cabinets with reddish-orange terracotta tile countertops. Unfortunately, we are only going to be painting the cabinets instead of replacing the whole mess, so I need some ideas on colors for the cabinets. Any help would be welcome.

By Carol from Saratoga, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Have you considered painting just the cabinet doors? If the cabinet shows around the doors, this could look very new. You do need to stay in the same color family as the counter top and cabinets, but you can go much lighter or do a stripe or a sponge print. New hardward might be a way to update the look. If the cabinets are very dark, it may take several coats to cover the old color. A quick, cheap fix is wall paper or stenciled design. Pick out a light color from the tile and use that as a guide. If it is the same color, you can go with a tint (color plus white) of that color. Hope this helps.

August 30, 2016 Flag

I have white gloss units and medium wood flooring. The main wall is papered and I don't know what color paint to use on the other wall and what color rug.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need to consider your flooring colour first. If it is a very neutral brown flooring, you have a wide latitude, and can likely choose any colour you like. If it is an orangy tone to the wood, you will have to consider blues or greys for example, not reddish or yellow tones. The colour of the wall that is already papered is also a consideration. Is it a neutral colour, or is it definite colour? It is difficult to help you with suggestions when we can't see the space. If all of the other existing things -- furniture, flooring, wall units, and papered wall are very neutral you can pretty much choose whatever colour you like. Look in magazines for rooms that have decor you like, and go from there. Another idea is to visit new show homes in your area that are decorated by professionals and see what the trends are.

January 13, 2016 Flag

I have dark cabinets with coppery brown appliances. What colors would you suggest I paint the cabinets? My flooring is gray/brown/beige tiles.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My choice would be taupe

July 1, 2015 Flag

So I posted a while back asking about paint colors for the walls in our kitchen which opened the door for a whole new problem. Cabinet colors?

Here are pictures of our tiny spaced kitchen and we are bouncing between a few options:
  • white cabinets with the white appliances, then white or another color paint on the walls
  • stain/darken the cabinets with white appliances, then white on the walls
  • leave them, they look good

Other ideas are more than welcome though! Side note- we do have under lighting under the cabinets. So when those are on it helps bring the shadow out.
We are young homeowners and welcome advice. Help us! Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

add some fire engine red. That would kind of give it the old diner look.

January 24, 2013 Flag

I am in the process of renovating my kitchen cabinets. I have a small kitchen which has red brick on one wall and as a backsplash. My counter top is a black faux marble laminate. I was considering putting pewter hardware on the cabinets. My appliances are white. My floor is a light grey. I have one other wall that is currently a peachy colour (this could be changed). What colour would be best for the cabinets and doors?

By Helen M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi. Paint the cabinets either white or black in an enamel or something that would be easy to clean. Paint the peach wall a shade of grey that will work with the colors you have in there. The red, black, and white with the neutral on the floor and the wall sounds perfect! That's what I would do, anyway. Have fun with it!

December 13, 2015 Flag

I have an old 1950s small kitchen with pale yellow and olive green tiles on the counter top. I'm trying to find a color that would look good on the walls and cabinets. The kitchen has lots of cabinets. I will also be putting in a new tile floor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would go with blue walls and cabinets could be oak wood stained or painted with either color of yellow or green.

May 9, 2011 Flag

I have a few questions about my kitchen. We just bought this place and I have no idea what to start with for colors. I like the countertop and I think that will be my jumping off point. I am planning on painting the cupboards, walls, trashing the curtains, and possibly putting blinds instead? The decorative little shelf off to the side is also going, but I thought maybe adding a small ledge for a breakfast bar there and a couple of stools?

So what colors where? The floor is a neutral linoleum tile which is brand new so I plan on keeping it for a while. I am working on a bit of a budget here so it's mainly getting paint.

Suggestions would be great! Thanks.

By Wilmamacd from PEI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I disagree with everyone that says paint the walls beige. Boring. Make it bright, fun, playful and cheery.

March 4, 2015 Flag

I would like to update our rental to sell. The kitchen is awful, with handmade cupboard doors, uneven, rough edges. I have acquired some cabinet doors that are in good shape, but will need to be painted. The tile is an ugly beige/yellow that will be staying, unfortunately. Also, I have white appliances. What colour could I paint the cupboard doors? White? I feel like this will add even more contrast to the flooring.

By Nancy M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know what the real estate market is in your area, or what you see as the most likely buyer: another person planning to rent out the house, or first time buyer. Frankly, I'd make sure the kitchen is very clean and let the buyer figure out what to do. It sounds like it needs to be gutted, and no matter what you do, it's not going to improve anything. You may lose a few dollars by not having a nice kitchen, but short of doing something expensive, I don't see how you can improve it.

Since it's a rental, there's probably less motivation on your part to spend much. If a prospective buyer wants it as a rental, they may have a crew/means to renovate it quickly. If it's for someone who plans on living there, they may want to decorate it to their own taste.

July 23, 2009 Flag

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on painting my kitchen cabinets? I wanted some colors that would make my kitchen seem bigger. But the colors in here also wrap around my tiny dining area, which is open to the living room. Please Help!

By Msmargie13 from Grand Rapids, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mine were almost just like yours. I painted mine country white and it made my kitchen look so much brighter and bigger even my husband said so. lol

June 5, 2012 Flag

My appliances are white, but my table is off white with a stainless steel top (so the legs of table and the chairs are off white). What color should I paint my kitchen cabinets? off white to match the table or white to match the appliances, or does it matter?

By Carla

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It needs to be a color you like. Actually, you could go with white, but that would be a lot of white. Do you have any color accents? If you like to change the accents--curtains, table cloths, place mats, staying with white or off white or even a light gray might be the best. Have fun with this - it's your kitchen.

March 11, 2014 Flag

I have light yellow walls, black appliances, blue and gray marbled counter tops, and Brazilian cherry hardwood floors. What color should I paint my cabinets?

By Ginny from Fairfax, VT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would match the wall paint if at all possible. It will make it look bigger and you can avoid adding another color to the mix.

March 6, 2015 Flag

I now have beige cupboards with a cream color for the counter top and the walls are a dark to light brown background. I want to go to a tortoise or a blue for the cupboards. Will this work?

By Betty P

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you like the colour, I do not see why not. The walls and countertop are neutral, so just about anything will go with it. Will you get curtains, perhaps, in a print with some turquoise and brown and beige in them to tie the things together?

October 15, 2011 Flag

My kitchen cabinets are cedar. The counter top is a bluish-green with specks of black (granite countertop). The floor is vinyl with bluish green and off white squares. Please help me. I am working on a limited budget. I don't know what to do about the ugly cedar cabinets. It's an eye sore. Help!

By Susan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Perhaps new pulls on the cabinets might help. You could match them to the walls, counter top, and/or floor. If you are handy, you could make new doors yourself that would allow any of the cedar that is showing to be an accent color. But new pulls and new hinges, if the hinges are the type that show, will help. Good luck.

September 8, 2011 Flag

I need to paint my kitchen cabinets and I don't know what color to paint them. My kitchen is pretty small, and we don't have a lot of light. I love Italian, so I painted the walls a golden yellow color with faux brown on top of the gold.

The kitchen cabinets are totally flat and are a cheap laminate with no design whatsoever. The counters are a dark speckled brown laminate. Help me please. When you give me some colors to pick from, I also need to know what color hardware (hinges and knobs) would look good. I'm going to replace all the hardware. The cabinets are over 25 years old.

By Susan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't have any advice about paint color, but I do have advice about painting over laminate. First, you have to sand every inch of your cabinets with 220 grit sandpaper (I would remove the doors, and all hardware, and lay them on a flat surface). Then clean them with a tack cloth to remove anything left from the sanding process. Next you need to use a primer designed to be used with laminate, such as Zinsser Bulls Eye 123. Follow the directions on the primer and allow for the correct drying time. Then you can paint with a gloss or semi-gloss paint designed to hold up under lots of use.

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJanuary 10, 2013
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Kitchen with light colored cabinets.
Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet Color
Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for a Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 8:17:14 AM on 10.0.1.236 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.