Browsing: Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice

You have decided not to replace the cabinets, but rather to paint them to coordinate with your kitchen remodel. Choosing the right color is your next decision. This is a guide about kitchen cabinet paint color advice.

Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 30, 2016 Flag

I have white gloss units and medium wood flooring. The main wall is papered and I don't know what color paint to use on the other wall and what color rug.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need to consider your flooring colour first. If it is a very neutral brown flooring, you have a wide latitude, and can likely choose any colour you like. If it is an orangy tone to the wood, you will have to consider blues or greys for example, not reddish or yellow tones. The colour of the wall that is already papered is also a consideration. Is it a neutral colour, or is it definite colour? It is difficult to help you with suggestions when we can't see the space. If all of the other existing things -- furniture, flooring, wall units, and papered wall are very neutral you can pretty much choose whatever colour you like. Look in magazines for rooms that have decor you like, and go from there. Another idea is to visit new show homes in your area that are decorated by professionals and see what the trends are.

February 3, 2016 Flag

I recently bought a beautiful house with this older style kitchen. The backsplash is grey tile. The countertop is cracked ice grey. The wood doors are varnished wood and the box of the cabinets has been painted white. I would like it all to be one color. I have tried various colors of yellow and they either look too bright or peach colored. The floors right now are a dark grey/brown that will be replaced. The room also gets lots of natural light. The appliances are white. It's a u-shape. Suggestions?

Retro Kitchen Paint Color AdviceRetro Kitchen Paint Color Advice

I thought this looked cute ;) Depends on what style you like. Good luck Jody !

Personally, I'd whiten the cabinet fronts (white to off white to pale pale gray), clean pulls so they sparkle and get an inexpensive "tortoise" or greyge greige reed or bamboo or whatever window cover. As in less than $20. Will pull the floor color up, which is important to balance the scalloped wooden valence and be a fresh, modern twist.

Or I'd love to charcoal gray paint the parts of cabinet fronts that are white, window shades tortoise (still cheap). You could even leave the white that surrounds the top stove unit because it works with your window framing. No curtains, please. It's dramatic, , but puts off floor replacement for quite a while.

The front strips are the worst offenders, and not paying attention to the floor is silly. White/gray total binds are boring. Unless you skinny-cook.

Heavier-work option, bottom cabinets charcoal-ish gray and top units your light gray. Still reed (kinda multicolored brown/gray). shades to pull up color. Fabulous. Fun.

My fave is charcoal bottoms, light gray top cabinets with reed window shades. Even bamboo shades from Kmart, which I love. But please use a color, and texture, to make the room smile.

When you're wearing a white top with a skirt don't you wear jewelry to tie it together?

April 10, 2016 Flag

I have dark brown kitchen walls, which I love. What color should I paint my cabinets besides white?

Depends what color are your curtains or if you don't have curtains you can match the color to a color in that's in your kitchen towels or rug, appliances etc... because you want to tie it all together at least that's what I would do but you can always just google it like this and see a bunch of ideas :) https://www.google.com/search?q=wha ... n+cabinets&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

January 13, 2016 Flag

I have dark cabinets with coppery brown appliances. What colors would you suggest I paint the cabinets? My flooring is gray/brown/beige tiles.

My choice would be taupe

The top swatch is a typical appliance copper.

The second swatch is all those shades mixed together. (Hex CEAC9D)

The third swatch is the mixed color mixed half and half with white. (Hex cdac9d)

The fourth swatch is the half and half color mixed again with an equal part of white. (Hex e7d6ce)

The fourth color is in the taupe family, though a bit mauvey. It certainly would be different...and interesting.

Carol may have had in mind a true taupe, and she could well be right.

April 6, 2015 Flag

We are going to do a minor update on our terribly outdated kitchen. If it was up to me, I'd be tearing out the whole thing and starting over. It currently has very dark cabinets with reddish-orange terracotta tile countertops. Unfortunately, we are only going to be painting the cabinets instead of replacing the whole mess, so I need some ideas on colors for the cabinets. Any help would be welcome.

By Carol from Saratoga, CA

Best Answer

Have you considered painting just the cabinet doors? If the cabinet shows around the doors, this could look very new. You do need to stay in the same color family as the counter top and cabinets, but you can go much lighter or do a stripe or a sponge print. New hardward might be a way to update the look. If the cabinets are very dark, it may take several coats to cover the old color. A quick, cheap fix is wall paper or stenciled design. Pick out a light color from the tile and use that as a guide. If it is the same color, you can go with a tint (color plus white) of that color. Hope this helps.

July 1, 2015 Flag

So I posted a while back asking about paint colors for the walls in our kitchen which opened the door for a whole new problem. Cabinet colors?Kitchen Cabinet Color Advice 3
Here are pictures of our tiny spaced kitchen and we are bouncing between a few options:

• white cabinets with the white appliances, then white or another color paint on the walls
  • stain/darken the cabinets with white appliances, then white on the walls
  • leave them, they look good

Other ideas are more than welcome though! Side note- we do have under lighting under the cabinets. So when those are on it helps bring the shadow out.
We are young homeowners and welcome advice. Help us! Thanks.

Kitchen Cabinet Color AdviceKitchen Cabinet Color Advice

I like wooden cabinets, and if they are in good shape, leave them alone. Since your countertops are black and the floor off white, you really have a very neutral pallet going on, so the wall colour could likely be anything you like. You might like to go with a theme -- say sunflowers, and then get some accessories that are sunflower pattern, paint the wall a golden sunflower yellow. I have apples going on in my kitchen. I found some curtains with an apple pattern I liked, made myself two mosaic pictures of apples, have an apple kettle on the stove, and found some tiles with apples on them that I have set on the top of the stove. I use red and green placemats. Find something that you particularly like, and go with that.

In another kitchen, I had dishes with ducks on them, and then went with ducky curtains, wallpaper border, salt and peppers, etc. You might also think about changing out the handles on the cupboards. That can make a massive change in the room and really update your cupboards. Sometimes you can find hardware that goes with your theme.

It looks like you have black and white tile back splash. I would paint the cabinets white. Black or white appliances would look nice. I would replace the ceiling fixture for something more up to date. I would definitely remove as many things as possible from the counter tops and put them in the cabinets. I love your kitchen.

December 13, 2015 Flag

I have an old 1950s small kitchen with pale yellow and olive green tiles on the counter top. I'm trying to find a color that would look good on the walls and cabinets. The kitchen has lots of cabinets. I will also be putting in a new tile floor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would go with blue walls and cabinets could be oak wood stained or painted with either color of yellow or green.

March 4, 2015 Flag

I would like to update our rental to sell. The kitchen is awful, with handmade cupboard doors, uneven, rough edges. I have acquired some cabinet doors that are in good shape, but will need to be painted. What colour could I paint the cupboard doors? White? I feel like this will add even more contrast to the flooring.

May 9, 2011 Flag

We just bought this place and I have no idea what to start with for colors. I like the countertop and I think that will be my jumping off point. I am planning on painting the cupboards, walls, trashing the curtains, and possibly putting blinds instead?

View of kitchen sink and surrounding cupboards

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJanuary 10, 2013
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Kitchen with light colored cabinets.
Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet Color
Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for a Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:19:34 AM on 10.0.1.95 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.