Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice

You have decided not to replace the cabinets, but rather to paint them to coordinate with your kitchen remodel. Choosing the right color is your next decision. This is a guide about kitchen cabinet paint color advice.

Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have dark brown kitchen walls, which I love. What color should I paint my cabinets besides white?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Depends what color are your curtains or if you don't have curtains you can match the color to a color in that's in your kitchen towels or rug, appliances etc... because you want to tie it all together at least that's what I would do but you can always just google it like this and see a bunch of ideas :) https://www.google.com/search?q=wha ... n+cabinets&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I recently bought a beautiful house with this older style kitchen. The backsplash is grey tile. The countertop is cracked ice grey. The wood doors are varnished wood and the box of the cabinets has been painted white. I would like it all to be one color. I have tried various colors of yellow and they either look too bright or peach colored. The floors right now are a dark grey/brown that will be replaced. The room also gets lots of natural light. The appliances are white. It's a u-shape. Suggestions?

Retro Kitchen Paint Color Advice
      AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Personally, I'd whiten the cabinet fronts (white to off white to pale pale gray), clean pulls so they sparkle and get an inexpensive "tortoise" or greyge greige reed or bamboo or whatever window cover. As in less than $20. Will pull the floor color up, which is important to balance the scalloped wooden valence and be a fresh, modern twist.

Or I'd love to charcoal gray paint the parts of cabinet fronts that are white, window shades tortoise (still cheap). You could even leave the white that surrounds the top stove unit because it works with your window framing. No curtains, please. It's dramatic, , but puts off floor replacement for quite a while.

The front strips are the worst offenders, and not paying attention to the floor is silly. White/gray total binds are boring. Unless you skinny-cook.

Heavier-work option, bottom cabinets charcoal-ish gray and top units your light gray. Still reed (kinda multicolored brown/gray). shades to pull up color. Fabulous. Fun.

My fave is charcoal bottoms, light gray top cabinets with reed window shades. Even bamboo shades from Kmart, which I love. But please use a color, and texture, to make the room smile.

When you're wearing a white top with a skirt don't you wear jewelry to tie it together?

Read More Answers...

I have dark cabinets with coppery brown appliances. What colors would you suggest I paint the cabinets? My flooring is gray/brown/beige tiles.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The top swatch is a typical appliance copper.

The second swatch is all those shades mixed together. (Hex CEAC9D)

The third swatch is the mixed color mixed half and half with white. (Hex cdac9d)

The fourth swatch is the half and half color mixed again with an equal part of white. (Hex e7d6ce)

The fourth color is in the taupe family, though a bit mauvey. It certainly would be different...and interesting.

Carol may have had in mind a true taupe, and she could well be right.

Read More Answers...

We are going to do a minor update on our terribly outdated kitchen. If it was up to me, I'd be tearing out the whole thing and starting over. It currently has very dark cabinets with reddish-orange terracotta tile countertops. Unfortunately, we are only going to be painting the cabinets instead of replacing the whole mess, so I need some ideas on colors for the cabinets. Any help would be welcome.

By Carol from Saratoga, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
        Best Answer

Have you considered painting just the cabinet doors? If the cabinet shows around the doors, this could look very new. You do need to stay in the same color family as the counter top and cabinets, but you can go much lighter or do a stripe or a sponge print. New hardward might be a way to update the look. If the cabinets are very dark, it may take several coats to cover the old color. A quick, cheap fix is wall paper or stenciled design. Pick out a light color from the tile and use that as a guide. If it is the same color, you can go with a tint (color plus white) of that color. Hope this helps.

I have an old 1950s small kitchen with pale yellow and olive green tiles on the counter top. I'm trying to find a color that would look good on the walls and cabinets. The kitchen has lots of cabinets. I will also be putting in a new tile floor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would go with blue walls and cabinets could be oak wood stained or painted with either color of yellow or green.

So I posted a while back asking about paint colors for the walls in our kitchen which opened the door for a whole new problem. Cabinet colors?
          Here are pictures of our tiny spaced kitchen and we are bouncing between a few options:

• white cabinets with the white appliances, then white or another color paint on the walls
          • stain/darken the cabinets with white appliances, then white on the walls
          • leave them, they look good

Other ideas are more than welcome though! Side note- we do have under lighting under the cabinets. So when those are on it helps bring the shadow out.
          We are young homeowners and welcome advice. Help us! Thanks.

Kitchen Cabinet Color Advice 3
            Kitchen Cabinet Color AdviceKitchen Cabinet Color Advice
            AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It looks like you have black and white tile back splash. I would paint the cabinets white. Black or white appliances would look nice. I would replace the ceiling fixture for something more up to date. I would definitely remove as many things as possible from the counter tops and put them in the cabinets. I love your kitchen.

Read More Answers...

I would like to update our rental to sell. The kitchen is awful, with handmade cupboard doors, uneven, rough edges. I have acquired some cabinet doors that are in good shape, but will need to be painted. The tile is an ugly beige/yellow that will be staying, unfortunately. Also, I have white appliances. What colour could I paint the cupboard doors? White? I feel like this will add even more contrast to the flooring.

By Nancy M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you watch the shows on TV regarding selling of houses, they never advise leaving things looking like they need work. Fixer-uppers are very hard to sell. (I know Property Brothers makes it seem otherwise, but not everyone has that level of expertise!) If the cupboards are terrible, and since you already have replacement doors, put them on. I think white would be a good choice for paint. You might stage it with some colourful curtains, and if it is very clean, you might not have to do anything to the floor.

Read More Answers...

View of kitchen sink and surrounding cupboardsI have a few questions about my kitchen. We just bought this place and I have no idea what to start with for colors. I like the countertop and I think that will be my jumping off point. I am planning on painting the cupboards, walls, trashing the curtains, and possibly putting blinds instead? The decorative little shelf off to the side is also going, but I thought maybe adding a small ledge for a breakfast bar there and a couple of stools?

So what colors where? The floor is a neutral linoleum tile which is brand new so I plan on keeping it for a while. I am working on a bit of a budget here so it's mainly getting paint.

Suggestions would be great! Thanks.

By Wilmamacd from PEI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Okay, I have figured out pretty much what I am doing as a whole for the kitchen.......

The walls are going a soft but somewhat bright green, called soft pistachio. The cupboards are definitely going stark white (What kind of gloss? Semi or High?) The door pulls are going to be satin nickel. Hoping to get these ones: http://www.kent.ca/kbs/en/product.j ... N&skuId=P135SN&catalogId=876

The window will be getting nothing if I can help it, blinds if my husband can't handle nothing on the window.....lol.

And I have decided to switch out the countertop to a more neutral one, thay way I can add more color with paint in the future. Also hoping to convince hubby that a new faucet is needed there ;).

Thanks for the input everyone.very helpful! I promise to post a photo when I get it all done.

Read More Answers...

I am in the process of renovating my kitchen cabinets. I have a small kitchen which has red brick on one wall and as a backsplash. My counter top is a black faux marble laminate. I was considering putting pewter hardware on the cabinets. My appliances are white. My floor is a light grey. I have one other wall that is currently a peachy colour (this could be changed). What colour would be best for the cabinets and doors?

By Helen M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

White or the same light gray as the floor.

Read More Answers...

I now have beige cupboards with a cream color for the counter top and the walls are a dark to light brown background. I want to go to a tortoise or a blue for the cupboards. Will this work?

By Betty P

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you like the colour, I do not see why not. The walls and countertop are neutral, so just about anything will go with it. Will you get curtains, perhaps, in a print with some turquoise and brown and beige in them to tie the things together?

I have light yellow walls, black appliances, blue and gray marbled counter tops, and Brazilian cherry hardwood floors. What color should I paint my cabinets?

By Ginny from Fairfax, VT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Gray with perhaps an accent in the second color in the counters.

Read More Answers...

My appliances are white, but my table is off white with a stainless steel top (so the legs of table and the chairs are off white). What color should I paint my kitchen cabinets? off white to match the table or white to match the appliances, or does it matter?

By Carla

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with the person who suggested you paint the cabinets to match the appliances.

Paint the walls around the cabinets a different color to prevent "white out." Or put a pretty throw rug and towels in the kitchen.

You can never go wrong with white for cabinets. there are many shades of white!

Read More Answers...

dining roomI have a dining room with pale blue walls and white wainscoting. The room opens to the eat in kitchen, foyer, and family room. The kitchen has oak cabinets, beige Corian counters, and steely blue floor tiles. What wall color would blend with the blue for the adjoining rooms?

By Jjp from CT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Egg nog color, cream and a pale yellow or pale gray.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on painting my kitchen cabinets? I wanted some colors that would make my kitchen seem bigger. But the colors in here also wrap around my tiny dining area, which is open to the living room. Please Help!

By Msmargie13 from Grand Rapids, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Could you match the maple-colored trim? It would be lighter, but before committing to it, see if you can find some paper (think art supply or wallpaper store) that would have that color range so you could see how it would look

Read More Answers...

My kitchen cabinets are cedar. The counter top is a bluish-green with specks of black (granite countertop). The floor is vinyl with bluish green and off white squares. Please help me. I am working on a limited budget. I don't know what to do about the ugly cedar cabinets. It's an eye sore. Help!

By Susan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Question: Are they real cedar wood or just simulated to look like cedar? If they are real cedar, painting them may be a problem as the oils in the wood might make the paint fail to adhere.

Read More Answers...

I am trying to change the color of my cabinets and my walls are a powdery blue color. What color should my cabinets be?

By Matt D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What color is the floor and woodwork in the room; also dinette set

Does the room have a lot of natural light? Is the room small or large sized?

If the room is small with few windows, then white would look nice or some other light color which compliments the walls. IF the room is large and has a lot of windows, then you can go with something darker perhaps the darker color of the walls, but then I do not know if this will interfere with my previous questions addressed. Offer a bit more info please.

Load More
            Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJanuary 10, 2013
            Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
            Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
            Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
            Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
            Kitchen with light colored cabinets.
            Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet Color
            Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
            Paint Color Advice for a Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
            © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 4, 2016 at 7:05:47 PM on 10.0.1.56 in 582 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.