Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice

You have decided not to replace the cabinets, but rather to paint them to coordinate with your kitchen remodel. Choosing the right color is your next decision. This is a guide about kitchen cabinet paint color advice.

Here are questions related to Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice.

Question: Kitchen Cabinet Colour Advice

I am in the process of renovating my kitchen cabinets. I have a small kitchen which has red brick on one wall and as a backsplash. My counter top is a black faux marble laminate. I was considering putting pewter hardware on the cabinets. My appliances are white. My floor is a light grey. I have one other wall that is currently a peachy colour (this could be changed). What colour would be best for the cabinets and doors?

By Helen M

Most Recent Answer

By Donna [6]01/27/2013

White or the same light gray as the floor.

Question: Cabinet Paint Color Advice

I am trying to change the color of my cabinets and my walls are a powdery blue color. What color should my cabinets be?

By Matt D

Question: Paint Color Advice

I have a rug with tan-brown, eggplant, and olive green in it. Not sure what color to paint the walls nor the cabinets. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By Linda

Question: Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice

I am trying to gut the kitchen but keep the flooring. What is a good cabinet style and color (countertops too) for a kitchen with white gloss tile (with a little black whispery accent color)? There is also a dark brown brick fireplace next to the kitchen.

Our ideas are using a white or light grey glossy modern cabinet style with a blackish speckled countertop. Or a dark color butcher block countertop with white painted cabinets. IDK, just trying to brainstorm some ideas.

Or should we paint the brick fireplace?

By Nate

Question: Cabinet Paint Color Advice

I need help picking a dark brown paint color to paint my island and vanities.

By Lisa

Question: Kitchen Cabinet Color and Countertop Advice

I have a red faux brick half wall and backsplash. The bottom half of wall is pine and the floors are a dark walnut. I'm painting my kitchen cabinets and was wondering what color to use and what type/color of countertop would work?

By Dana C.

I have light yellow walls, black appliances, blue and gray marbled counter tops, and Brazilian cherry hardwood floors. What color should I paint my cabinets?

By Ginny from Fairfax, VT

Most Recent Answer

By Mary Lou [14]03/13/2014

Gray with perhaps an accent in the second color in the counters.

Question: Kitchen Cupboard Colour Advice

I have 1 teal wall, 3 cream walls, and black flooring. What would be the best colour for my kitchen cupboards?

By vikkixx23 from Cambridgeshire

I have a very small kitchen, with dark cupboards that I would like to paint. The appliances are almond and the flooring is lino that looks like tile that I guess would be a off white to beige. The countertop is butcher block in appearance. On one end is a window and sink then cupboards on both sides along with the appliances and then the end wall has a large opening in it to open it up. It had just a countertop there, but I would like to put a cupboard of some sort that is not permanent. Just so there is more cupboard room for a family. We had lots as there is just the two of us.

Ideally we would pull it all out and start over, but we are moving and would just like it to look more updated. I would really appreciate some advice on colours as I am horrible at picking colours, but enjoy doing the work. Thank you.

By Sharon from Edmonton, Alberta

Question: Cabinet Color Advice

I have maroon tiles in my kitchen. What color it will work for my cabinets?

By Thess

Question: Paint Color Advice for Kitchen Cabinets

I have white kitchen cabinets that I've just stripped off and would like a different color. I'm unsure of what color to use since my sink, stove, and oven are white.

By Rana

Question: Cabinet Color Advice

I have galley kitchen 14 feet x 5 feet with black granite counter and stainless steel appliances. The kitchen is open to the family room with beige wall paint and a red accent wall. Medium brown laminate flooring flows thru both rooms. The kitchen only has a large window over the sink area between upper cabinets. Cabinets have been stripped and now need to be painted. What color would you suggest?

By Ann

Most Recent Answer

By PRISCILLA07/04/2013

Red! Same as the accent wall!

Question: Kitchen Cupboard Paint Color Advice

My kitchen is quite small. The walls are cream in colour. My appliances and fridge, etc. are mostly black and silver. I would like to know what colour would be nice to paint the cupboards? The tiles are off green black.

By Z. Cotwal

Question: Kitchen Cabinet and Counter Top Color Advice

I have new hardwood flooring and the color is Maple Moka. What color should I use for the kitchen cabinets and countertops?

By Lisa

I just installed new black appliances in my kitchen. My cupboards are beige and I was wondering what color grey would go good or maybe a yellow?

By Brad

Most Recent Answer

By Marg [16]04/02/2013

Think I'd go for yellow and a red rug or blinds as a contrast. Grey would be a bit too neutral for me. You don't tell us the colour of the walls though, and if it's a small kitchen or large. Makes a difference.
Marg from England.

Question: Painting Kitchen Cabinets

What is a good grey color for kitchen cabinets?

By Deana a from Chesapeake, VA

Question: Color Advice for Painting Laminate Cabinets

Not sure what color I need to paint my laminate cabinets, but my appliances are stainless steel and my counter is black and tan specs. Please help me!

By Lisa J.

Most Recent Answer

By Cisco's Mom [5]02/20/2013

Go on line and look at pictures of kitchens. Try HGTV or granite counters or Lowe's, Home Depot. All those pictures should give you some great ideas.

My appliances are white, but my table is off white with a stainless steel top (so the legs of table and the chairs are off white). What color should I paint my kitchen cabinets? off white to match the table or white to match the appliances, or does it matter?

By Carla

Most Recent Answer

By Carol Swanson [17]06/11/2012

I agree with the person who suggested you paint the cabinets to match the appliances.

Paint the walls around the cabinets a different color to prevent "white out." Or put a pretty throw rug and towels in the kitchen.

You can never go wrong with white for cabinets. there are many shades of white!

My walls are pale yellow and my kitchen cabinets are white with red countertops. What color would look good for the cabinets?

By Patricia

Most Recent Answer

By joan [3]11/15/2011

Feng shui says to use touches of red. I'd paint the yellow walls white but you might consider a warm white and do the cupboards in the same. That will make your countertop pop.

My kitchen cabinets are cedar. The counter top is a bluish-green with specks of black (granite countertop). The floor is vinyl with bluish green and off white squares. Please help me. I am working on a limited budget. I don't know what to do about the ugly cedar cabinets. It's an eye sore. Help!

By Susan

Most Recent Answer

By Mary Lou [14]10/18/2011

Question: Are they real cedar wood or just simulated to look like cedar? If they are real cedar, painting them may be a problem as the oils in the wood might make the paint fail to adhere.

I need to paint my kitchen cabinets and I don't know what color to paint them. My kitchen is pretty small, and we don't have a lot of light. I love Italian, so I painted the walls a golden yellow color with faux brown on top of the gold.

The kitchen cabinets are totally flat and are a cheap laminate with no design whatsoever. The counters are a dark speckled brown laminate. Help me please. When you give me some colors to pick from, I also need to know what color hardware (hinges and knobs) would look good. I'm going to replace all the hardware. The cabinets are over 25 years old.

By Susan

Most Recent Answer

By Cindy Scinto [2]09/12/2011

I'm getting ready to paint my old, laminate kitchen cabinets also. I was terrified they would look, "painted." I found kits at Lowes from Rustoleum to refinish your cabinets with a color and pattern. Go to their website to see the options at: http://rustoleumtransformations.com/

Also, Lowes has the very best options for cabinet knobs. Look at the options here: http://www.lowes.com/pl_Kitchen_4294933153__s?Ntt=knobs

All the best to you! I'm excited to get that fresh, new look! 8^)

Cindy

Question: Kitchen Dilema: Paint Color Advice for Cupboards and Walls

View of kitchen sink and surrounding cupboardsI have a few questions about my kitchen. We just bought this place and I have no idea what to start with for colors. I like the countertop and I think that will be my jumping off point. I am planning on painting the cupboards, walls, trashing the curtains, and possibly putting blinds instead? The decorative little shelf off to the side is also going, but I thought maybe adding a small ledge for a breakfast bar there and a couple of stools?

So what colors where? The floor is a neutral linoleum tile which is brand new so I plan on keeping it for a while. I am working on a bit of a budget here so it's mainly getting paint.

Suggestions would be great! Thanks.

By Wilmamacd from PEI

Most Recent Answer

By Wilmamacd [1]05/13/2011

Okay, I have figured out pretty much what I am doing as a whole for the kitchen.......

The walls are going a soft but somewhat bright green, called soft pistachio. The cupboards are definitely going stark white (What kind of gloss? Semi or High?) The door pulls are going to be satin nickel. Hoping to get these ones: http://www.kent.ca/kbs/en/product.j ... N&skuId=P135SN&catalogId=876

The window will be getting nothing if I can help it, blinds if my husband can't handle nothing on the window.....lol.
And I have decided to switch out the countertop to a more neutral one, thay way I can add more color with paint in the future. Also hoping to convince hubby that a new faucet is needed there ;).

Thanks for the input everyone.very helpful! I promise to post a photo when I get it all done.

Question: Kitchen Wall and Cabinet Paint Color Advice

I want red dishes and decor for my kitchen, but I'm unsure of what color to paint the cabinets and walls. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

By Miracle from Delphi, IN

Most Recent Answer

By 1bettybooper [2]03/30/2011

Base of cabinets a grey mist from Loews as well as the walls. red (close to the Rustoleum red) cabinet doors with a top border of red on ceiling & walls and also in the middle of wall as a painted chair rail. If you have a ceiling fan you could also paint blades red and grey I have not done my fan blades yet but have the colors in my kitchen. I use paint cards & taped them to doors, cabinets & walls Good Luck. ezmeralda

Question: Cabinet Paint Color for Kitchen with Red Countertops

I have a 10 foot red countertop in my kitchen dating from the 40s with off white cabinets. I would like to update, what color should I paint the cabinets?

By c

Most Recent Answer

By Dena Roberts [31]03/07/2011

The "new" neutral colours work well with reds, the new neutrals are greys, a nice shade of grey would go very well with red. Try to get a really good picture of the colour with a digital camera and take it to the paint store with you to find a shade that compliments the red. My living room is a burgundy red and a soft grey. Looks great and if you don't like greys try a cream not a pinkish cream, but a brownish cream, really light, but some look pink and some look brown, ask if your paint store gives out sample pots of paint. Ours does, costs $3.50 for a pot worth it to get the right colour and not end up with a room you don't like!

Question: What Color Should I Paint My Kitchen Cabinets?

What is a good color to paint my walnut colored kitchen cabinets, when I have antique white walls and a white counter top?

By MaryAnn from Port Richey, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Joyce [2]02/21/2011

Go online at HGTV there are some great ideas on colors. Also just check colors for painting kitchen cabinets on google. I did this for two months before I made a choice. It helpped me. Happy painting!

Question: Paint Color Ideas for Kitchen Cabinets

I have light green tiles over my kitchen sink and behind my stove. What would be the best colors for my kitchen cabinets?

By Margaret from Auburn, AL

Most Recent Answer

By Allison06/16/2010

You also have to look at the countertop and floor so that it all coordinates. You could do black, brown or a cherry look if you want a darker cabinet. Or,go with a cream or off white, whichever fits with the green tiles. White will be harder to keep clean. Here's a good link on painting cabinets:

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/painting-kitchen-cabinets.shtml

Question: Cabinet Color Advice for Kitchen With Dark Mahogany Floors and Blue Granite Countertops

We're creating our kitchen. The floors are a very dark wood, African Mahogany. We've chosen a blue granite counter top, close to Blue Persia.

The question is what would be a good color for the cabinets. One thought is having new cabinets painted cream, or a natural wood color. If the wood is on a darkish side will that work with the Blue Persia granite and the dark floor?

Thanks for the help.

By Stephen from Pacifica, CA

Most Recent Answer

By PENNY K [15]03/17/2010

I lived in Africa once, and seeing that lovely blue with hints of green in it reminded me of the lovely days in the Highlands of Kenya. How about a soft green taken from the dark streaks in the granite; a pastel/light version.
It would be like the blue skies and green of Africa, with the dark woods you find in most houses there.

Question: Cabinet Color to Coordinate with Butterscotch Oak Floor

What color should my kitchen cabinets be, if my hardwood floor is butterscotch oak?

By Ken from Crownsville, MD

Most Recent Answer

By Allison02/03/2010

You could really go with any color. I would look at the countertop and any tile too and coordinate it all. Try a warm light brown or add some contrast with a subtle burgungy.

Question: Painting Cabinets to Make Kitchen Look Bigger

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on painting my kitchen cabinets? I wanted some colors that would make my kitchen seem bigger. But the colors in here also wrap around my tiny dining area, which is open to the living room. Please Help!

By Msmargie13 from Grand Rapids, MI

Most Recent Answer

By susan winship [4]07/27/2009

Could you match the maple-colored trim? It would be lighter, but before committing to it, see if you can find some paper (think art supply or wallpaper store) that would have that color range so you could see how it would look

Question: Hunter Green

I want to redecorate my kitchen using paint. I have a hunter green counter. The cabinets are currently white with white/brass hardware. The floor is also hunter green vinyl tile. I want to replace the floor and paint the cabinets and walls. The counter must stay. The room borders the living dining area which is half charcoal floral wallpaper and painted jade/spruce green. I sent a photo of the ajoining wall colors. It came out a little darker than it actually is. All suggestions are welcome.

Sam from New York

Most Recent Answer

By Sandy (Guest Post)03/20/2007

Hi! I would strip the white paint from the cabinets and go with a stain or a shade of brown paint. I would paint the walls a tan, taupe, apricot, pale yellow,, salmon, or a shade of gold--somewhere in that color range.

Solutions: Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: What color should I paint my kitchen cabinets?

When I bought my condo they came with typical 90's kitchen cabinets, which are very blah. They are not real wood and have no molding on them. I have tried painting them white, but due to my black and stainless steal appliances the white paint just doesn't work. I would like to paint them black. I have Olive green paint on my walls for your info. Do you think its a good idea to paint the cabinets in such a dark color?

Amina from Nashua, NH

RE: What color should I paint my kitchen cabinets?

I think black would look cool or else that textured aluminum paint that has the hammered finish. Although I think that might only be available in a spray which could be rather inconvenient for cabinets. If you do them black be sure to splurge on some eye-catching stainless steel hardware (or stainless steel-look). I bet black would look pretty nice with your walls providing your countertops and/or your flooring isn't too dark. Post some pix when your done. (09/19/2006)

By Kendy

Archive: Paint Color Ideas for Kitchen Cabinets

We would like to paint our oak kitchen cabinets. I've read quite a bit here about the primer to use. Thank you all for your tips! I am now wondering if there is a particular brand of paint that is especially kitchen-cabinet-friendly?

Cindy

RE: Selecting A Paint For Kitchen Cabinets

Latex formulas specified for cabinetry, labeled "100% acrylic". It will create an even, durable finish. (10/28/2008)

By choc01cake

Previous response is excellent paint choice. If I may add this tip; use a small high density sponge roll to apply all coats of paint. It makes a remarkably good finish to the paint. Good luck. (10/30/2008)

By hedera

We used semi-gloss Rustoleum spray paint. Beautiful finish, durable, and many color choices. They looked like the painted ones in the showroom. We removed the doors to lay them flat. Very light coats and no drips. (10/30/2008)

By Lisa from Lena, WI.

Is brick red too bold to paint kitchen cabinets? My cabinets are old 60's wood style without molding, just a small lip on edges, (deep grain too, yuck). I would like to wash the lip with a butter color to add some interest. My appliances are white and wall color is a medium olive color.

By NewWays02 from Lebanon, OH

This would be a good color combination. What about using the same olive to wash the lip? My kitchen has tomato red counter tops, oak cabinets, oak wainscoting on the lower half of the walls, and sponge painted tomato red over white on the upper half. Red is a great kitchen color. (06/16/2009)

By Omanana

I think you can paint your cabinets any color you want, you live there. I painted my cabinets a baby blue and loved them. There was an occasional person who walked and remarked that it was "strange". But I loved them for years and years until I sold the house. (06/17/2009)

By Noella

What color should I paint my kitchen cabinets? I have black granite countertops, stainless backsplash and a butcherblock built in table/bar?

By erice from TX

If you want color and depending on your floor and wall colors, a pale sage green would look nice. It's not too dark, would give you color but not too much, and would blend with the black and stainless. Then you could choose accent colors in your decorations. (08/20/2009)

By PDG

I know this is not a "conventional" kitchen cabinet color, but I had the opportunity to help paint a kitchen (not cabinets) this color and was amazed at how beautiful it turned out. The color? Red, with granite counter tops and stainless steel accents. I think this would really be pretty. Good luck. (08/20/2009)

By Heather21230

Honestly, I'd just paint them white and change out your cabinet knobs to a brushed nickel finish to coordinate with your stainless backsplash. You could add interest by removing some cabinet doors for open shelving, or cutting out the centers of a few cabinet doors and adding glass. If you want to add color in your kitchen, I'd suggest using colorful canisters, small appliances (toaster, coffee maker, etc), or curtains, because these things are easier to replace than repainting an entire kitchen full of cabinetry would be. (08/21/2009)

By sigma28

We would like to paint our kitchen cabinets and also put a back splash on the wall under the cabinets in our kitchen. As you can see, the countertops are a "reddish" color and we will not be changing this.

Archive: What Color Should I Paint My Kitchen Cabinets?

The house my husband and I are about to purchase has beautiful tile countertops and nice floors in the kitchen. The cabinets have been painted white though, and I'm not too crazy about it. Any suggestions on what to do to improve the kitchen?

By Lacey from Fort Smith, AR

RE: What Color Should I Paint My Kitchen Cabinets?

A very pretty creme with some nice dark hardware would look great. Just be sure to see what hint of other color it has in it. You'd still have a neutral color, but it wouldn't be the stark white. Then you could put a pretty color on your walls. Depending on the colors (if they are fairly neutral) in the tile, you could choose a color in that family. (11/10/2009)

By PDG

I saw posts about painting laminate. As you can see by the picture I am working on remodeling this kitchen. The cabinets are very dark/outdated, but are in "like new" condition.