Kitchen Paint Color Advice

I want to paint my kitchen red. I have a green floor and hunter green countertops. My cabinets are a light cream color. I am concerned my kitchen may look like Christmas. Any advice?

Andrea from Granite Falls, Wa

Kitchen Paint Color Advice

Andrea, if your heart is set on red, I'd do it, but I'd be careful what shade of red because of the looking like Christmas thing. If you lean more toward a brick red than a real true red it might be better, but you're the one who has to live with it & love it. One of my friends did her kitchen in red, like a barn red, it turned out very nice, looks really good. (08/06/2008)

By Bonnie V

Kitchen Paint Color Advice

If you want to avoid a "Christmas" look you may have to darken the cream colored cabinets. (08/06/2008)

By perfume and powder

Kitchen Paint Color Advice

Two things that I have learned from experience:

1. The color that you pick from the paint chips never looks the way that you want it to once it's on the wall. It's very difficult to judge how a color will look on the wall from a tiny chip. Test-paint a small area ( 1 or 2 sq. ft. ) to get a better idea of how it will look finished. Then you won't have to live with the wrong color until you can get the gumption up to re-paint it. Too, if you don't like the color that it turns out, then you can always re-paint. It's not like you will have to live with the wrong color forevermore. LOL

2. Go with the color that makes you happy. You are the one that has to look at it, you are the one that needs to be happy with what you've chosen. I wanted to paint a lot of my house blue, because I absolutely LOVE blue; but I got a lot of flack from lots of people. I simply told them that it was my house, and I had to look at it everyday, and it was my choice, ( but thanks for your input). So, most of the house was painted blue, and I have been happy with it.

And, for what it's worth, I painted my son's room ocean blue, sort of a dark blue-green, very pretty, but he only had 2 small windows in his room, and the room was small, and it really was too dark a color for all the other things going on in there. (Should have used a lighter shade). Happy painting! (08/06/2008)

By heaven4441

Kitchen Paint Color Advice

If you choose any dark shade of paint, such as red, make sure you apply an appropriate like color primer otherwise the red will have a transparent look and you will have to apply many layers. With the right primer, you will likely only have to apply two coats of paint maximum. (08/07/2008)

By patty.wahm

Kitchen Paint Color Advice

I painted my kitchen a deep red (towards a burgundy shade) - I also have hunter green countertops and white cupboards. I love it. It is very rich looking - I get lots of compliments. Go for it! (08/08/2008)

By Elizabeth

Kitchen Paint Color Advice

I think it will look too much like Christmas as you feared. Also, it sounds way too dark for a kitchen. I personally like my kitchen to be bright and cheery! I vote no. (08/08/2008)

By soph6767

Paint chips on a kitchen blueprint.
Kitchen Paint Color Advice
Gallon paint cans with several different colors and had holding paint color sample strips
Kitchen Paint Color Advice for Dark Green Counter Tops
White kitchen with right green painted backsplash
Adding Color to My Kitchen Walls
Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice
Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice