Kitchen Paint Color Advice

What color should I paint my kitchen? My units are ivory with a very dark counter top. The floor is timber in a light color.

Eileen from Cork, Ireland

Kitchen Paint Color Advice

Exactly WHAT color of "dark counter tops" do you have? If it's brown or black & with the wood floors you can go with pretty much ANY color you like.If it were me I'd not go very dark or very light in the color's shade, but instead I'd go somewhere in the middle range. Also, some of the best colors that go with wood are Blues, Tans & Golden Tans & Golden Beiges. I'm mentioning the more "warm" colors because Ireland is a lot (in weather) like Seattle where I live. (LOTS of rain) which can be depressing, especially if you use gray-based colors or taupes. Also, don't use anything to bright (like Orange or tomato red) because these colors can make you a bit crazy. (unless it's only on just one accent wall).

It's pretty hard to give you an exact color without knowing the color of your counter top. But stay in the midrange (not very light & not very dark) & if try to use something with a hint of golden in the color, like mustard or golden-tan, or golden sage green (not silver or gray sage). This will help with your mood because of the little amount of sun you guys get. But IF you did live in a super-hot climate, then I'd suggest you stay in the more mellow gray-based colors like grayish-beige or silver-sage because these colors tend to be cool & "cool you off".

As I said, because you have ivory walls & wooden floors they will match any color you choose. So IF your countertops ARE a neutral color you can go with practically ANY color you'd like & it will match. But I like to stay in the neutral range because it always looks classy then I add little touches of colors here & there. Also, if you do use a neutral color you can always change your accent pieces to another color without repainting.

* Here's an example of my color choices. I moved in here & wanted to go with a golden-beige, but the place came with blue wall to wall carpeting, so I did use the golden beige color, but tied everything together with a rug that has a golden beige background & also has a bit of blue, olive & sage in it. So now these rug colors are MY colors. And this rug makes all the difference!

If you do not want to go with a neutral color then before you choose your colors go out & buy a small kitchen rug or a great picture or look at your furniture or accessories, etc. THEN mix your colors to match one of your favorite belongings. It's easier to FIRST furnish the place THEN afterwards decide on color than the other way around! Years ago I found 3 wonderful old botanical pictures. I loved them so much I had them framed & decorated the whole room around them. Find something you love & choose your colors around that one piece!

Any questions? Send me a note here on ThriftyFun.

Paint chips on a kitchen blueprint.
Kitchen Paint Color Advice
Group of people holding painting supplies and samples in a white kitchen
What Color Should I Paint My Kitchen Walls?
Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice
Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice
Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for a Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets