Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

My kitten is only a few months old and suddenly stopped using her litter box. My dad is giving me a week to get her to stop pooping on the floor. I need some help. Please give me some tips so I don't have to get rid of my kitten.

Lillie from Phoenix, AZ

Answers:

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

I have a "new" kitten and we took her to the vet. She was going to the bathroom anywhere she wanted. Found out she had worms. After treating her a couple of days, she started pooping and peeing in the litter box. Haven't had anymore trouble. Good luck, Deb. (12/13/2007)

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

Did you start using a different brand of kitty litter? Cats are very particular about smells, textures, and feels. If so, go back to what you were using. (12/13/2007)

By perfume and powder

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

Please get your kitten to a vet. (12/13/2007)

By Maryeileen

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

Before I saw the other feedback my thought was "vet". The poor thing could actually be sick and doesn't know how else to tell you something isn't right. (12/14/2007)

By Lynn

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

I had the same problem with an older cat and now with my kitten. My older cat did it because she had kidney problems, eventually her kidneys failed her. She was just trying to tell us.

My kitten is doing it because she smelled the same spot and is going there. I keep the area clean and try to spray either an enzyme spray (I got mine at Pet Smart) or vinegar. I also use carpet deodorizer a few times a week when I vacuum. It seems to help. Keep a cat litter box near the area where your cat goes so that it can at least have that option.

Hope it helps! (01/18/2008)

By Ashley

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

I'm going through the same problem and I think that there is really nothing else to do but to bring him to the vet to make sure he is healthy. If he is ill just have to keep training him. But the thing I'm worried about is that my grandmother has a cat too for like 10 years, and even after being operated it still peed in plants and stuff like that, and yes, it's trained and everything. So hopefully my cat isn't going to do the same. (09/14/2008)

By stopanimalabuse

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

I have a little cat, 6 months old. He sometimes doesn't want to use his litter box, so he urinates into the flower pot. What I did, I of course cleaned the flower pot, put fresh soil in it, and covered it with a large garbage bag. On the garbage bag, I sprayed citrus smell, which is actually my body mist. He doesn't like it. He goes into his box now.

My next move will be removing the bag, and just put some orange peel and lemon peel on the soil. I'm sure it will do the job. Hope I was able to help some of you. I actually realized what I did wrong. I usually give him water near his box. Cats won't go near their food or drink, so I confused him with that, and I also bought a mat to put in front of his box, but he doesn't like that either.

So this is where I made mistakes. Don't jump into conclusions, try to think what you did wrong, and fix it. But I agree that everyone with this problem should consult the vet, first make sure your kitty is healthy. (10/11/2008)

By kitty lover

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

I got my kitten last week from the cat shelter and had been litter trained until yesterday. I noticed her clawing the shower mat, and I popped her in the litter and she scratched around a bit then went back to the mat and peed. She was doing the same thing the day before but my boyfriend showed her by scratching in the litter and then she got the idea, however again today I noticed her scratching the new, clean bath mat (different one altogether, and I mopped the floor under it), and she had already gone on it and was going to go again! The litter box is only literally 2 feet away and she still uses it to pooh in. It's completely confounding me. Any help would be appreciated. (01/15/2009)

By Emma

Finger pointing at kitten in litter box
Kitten Not Using the Litter Box
Homemade Cat Litter Box
Homemade Cat Litter Box Ideas
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
🎄