Kittens with Fleas

I have 3 kittens. They are only a week old today today. What can I do to get rid of the fleas that they have?

Paige from Palmer, MA

Answers:

Kittens with Fleas

Johnson's Baby Shampoo will work. I had a flea out break here and my Boston Terriers were covered. I was desperate, I thought if it's safe for newborn babies, it couldn't hurt the dogs.
Make sure you lather them good, start at their heads and work your way back, just rub, and rub, and massage it in.

You will notice the fleas will die quickly, I don't know if it smothers them fast or what, but I was shocked at what a good job it it. I have used flea soap before and it didn't work as well, the fleas would be crawling while I was soaping the dogs up. Johnson's Baby Shampoo works fast, but you have to work with it a few minutes. (08/03/2008)

By SusanLee

Kittens with Fleas

I used Ivory dish liquid to rid my 8 week old kitten of fleas. Goes along with the baby shampoo idea I suppose. It doesn't have any harsh chemicals in it, so you can even wash your kitten's face with it, and it won't hurt their eyes. You have to keep your kitten in the soapy water and keep rubbing it down for about five minutes, and the fleas will die. This seemed to work much better than the flea sprays I had tried prior to this.

A couple tips, though: 1) wear rubber gloves or your hands and arms will be covered in scratches. 2) Be sure to also have a basin of clear water ready to go to rinse your kitten in once you're done bathing her. I didn't think to do this ahead of time and had to rinse her off with the sprayer, she enjoyed that even less than she enjoyed the bath, if you can believe that. (08/03/2008)

By sassycat

Kittens with Fleas

You can wash them in Joy for dishes. Wet kittens with warm water. Used just a little Joy and cover their fur with the suds. Let sit on kitten for about 5 minutes. Rinse them off with warm water, and towel dry and place them in a warm place, so they don't get a chill.

As a retired pet groomer I have used Joy on many pets to rid them of fleas. If there are any live fleas left on the kittens just pull them off and squish them between you finger nails. Wash you hands well after de-fleaing the kittens. (08/04/2008)

By Pat

Kittens with Fleas

It looks as though the Dawn is the winner. As soon as I put it on the kitten a few minutes went by and the fleas were dead. Letting it sit on there for 5 minutes to make sure. (08/05/2008)

By KittenOwner

Kittens with Fleas

Well, I have heard a few different ones. From my experience with cats, I comb them with a flea comb and have a small dish of rubbing alcohol nearby before I give them a bath. If it's a kitten I use either Dawn or baby shampoo and leave it on for 5 minutes.

Then I use a white towel or dish towel, because more than likely you will have survivors and fleas are supposedly attracted to white. Then I proceed to comb the kitten or cat again and afterward check the towel because more than likely you will find fleas alive and dead on the towel. Also I have heard a good spray to make is warm water, dawn and vinegar. Also I've heard you put cider vinegar in the pet's water or/and their food. (08/27/2008)

By Michelle

kitten with fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
A wall with fleas in it.
Fleas Inside of Walls
french bulldog puppy
Treating Fleas on a Puppy
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎄