Knitting With Grocery Bags

Plastic grocery bags can be cut into strips to make plarn, a recycled product that can be used in place of yarn in many craft projects. This is a guide about knitting with grocery bags.

February 8, 2007 Flag

I see many ideas on how to crochet bags from plastic shopping bags. But, as I do not crochet, could someone please come up with instructions to knit something similar?

Thank you!

Carol from South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I haven't seen many patterns for knitting with plastic bags but I have knitted some things anyway just making it up as I go along. I made a bag to store my lab coat in by casting on about 30 - 40 stitches on large needles (actually I think they were chopsticks!) then knitting with garter stitch until it reached about one metre. I then decreased 2stitches per row until only one stitch remained and finished. Making it up involved folding the rectangular section in half and stitching in place. The triangular section from decreasing acted as a flap that was held down by a button. You could add a handle by braiding bags and stitching in place. Not sure if that helps at all. Most patterns seem to work on the same rectangular principle and so garter stitch should be all that you need :0)

I saw this done on the show Knitty Gritty. They have the pattern on their web site: www.knittygritty.com. The episode # DKNG-105.

Hi Carol,

There is a pattern for a Recycled Plastic Bag Carryall or Tote Bag at http://www.diynetwork.com, I am also uploading a photo for you. When you get online to the DIY Network use the information below, it will give you the instructions for this pattern. Hope this helps you.

Recycled-Plastic Carryall

From "Knitty Gritty"

episode DKNG-105

If you Google "knit grocery bag using plastic bags instructions" you will get a number of styles and instructions to choose from!

I really liked some of the styles and the people that give the patterns all have different ways of cutting & joining the strips from the recycled bags.

Hope this helps you.

Multicolored plastic bags on a white background.
Craft Use for Grocery Bags
Crafts KnittingJanuary 29, 2017
Crocheted Green Plarn Bag
Making a Plarn Bag
Knitting Bag
Making a Knitting Bag
plarn coin purse
Making Crafts With Plarn
machine knitting a hat
Buying and Using a Knitting Machine
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 9:06:09 PM on 10.0.0.241 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.