Knitting a Swiffer Pad

Category How To
This is a guide about knitting a Swiffer pad. You can knit or crochet a reusable cleaning pad for your stiffer style mop.

I would like to know how to knit or crochet a reusable swiffer pad.

By TT from Douglas, WY

Best Answer

Just make one in the approximate shape of the pad. I often use old washcloths, microfiber cloths or even old tee shirts cut into the right size/shape. If the tee shirts seem too thin, use a double thickness. I throw my homemade cloths into the washer and reuse them.

Best Answer

I crochet mine from cotton using a single crochet (US); simply chain enough loops to fit your pad and single crochet until you have a piece long enough and wide enough to use. Gauge doesn't matter, all you're looking for here is something that will fit your mop and have enough scrubbing power (hence the use of the dense SC) to get your floors clean.

I use the white and cream colours so that I can bleach the pads.

Best Answer

I have tried everything from old socks to used dryer sheets, but for the past year I have been using a Microfiber cloth. I buy mine at Sam's club, and cut them in half. One half is just right for the Swiffer and to tuck it in the slots. They don't fray, so you don't have to set the cut edges. Each cloth makes 2 swiffer pads.

When I finish sweeping with them, I use one of those scratcher pads that is like a covered sponge, and brush the lint, dog hair, etc off the pad. When they get a little grimy looking, I just throw them in the washing machine with the throw rugs.

Harlean from Arkansas

I am looking for instructions to knit a Swiffer pad.

Try Ravelry, I know I saw one there...in the search you can search directly for it, after filtering out all but home, and accessories....I have knit one myself.....using scrubby yarn..