Laundry Smells Bad After Washing

How do I remove stagnant water smell from my clothes and towels? I was stupid when I did the laundry. I gave the plumber a towel to use, I didn't think when I did the laundry and that towel was in with the laundry. Now everything smells.

I cleaned the washer out with warm water and vinegar. I washed the towels by themselves with just vinegar and they still smell. Oh, not to mention I washed them with detergent and 1/2 cup of Baking Soda and that still didn't help.
Help please, my husband's best jeans were in that load. I had a small load to be washed, so I combined it. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

By Kennerchick from Kenner, LA

Answers:

Laundry Smells Bad After Washing

I have had that problem recently as well, off and on for the past year. I had to cut my loads down to half what I used to wash, and make sure that I dried them right away. We also found that the dryer duct was almost full of lint, so we replaced it. I also started using baking soda in each load along with detergent, and vinegar/water mix in the liquid fabric softener dispenser.

I also changed from my fluffy thick bath towels, to smaller, thinner ones, that don't take as long to dry. This has helped a lot! If it seems that you have some that you have trouble getting the smell out (the way to tell is to take a pair of jeans, and put a small bit of water on them, and smell). Soak them overnight in the washer with vinegar and water, spin that out, then wash as usual. (07/23/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Laundry Smells Bad After Washing

I have read many posts about getting fire smoke smell out of clothing by using regular, not diet, cola in the wash. Perhaps this will work for you too. (07/24/2009)

By Beth

Laundry Smells Bad After Washing

My sister use to get stuff from the trash, clothes and stuff. She'd clean and repair the stuff and then give it to charity. There were lots of times that things had a musty smell and other unpleasant odors. She used TSP in the wash. After the wash would agitate for a while, she'd stop the washer and let it sit for a few hours. This worked for her, but here's the thing about TSP, it's a very strong cleaner. So I would let it sit for maybe 1.5 hours and then run through and give it an extra rinse.

My husband is a truck driver. He has come home with the most disgusting dirt, oils, diesel, and smells you can't believe. What I use is BIZ with all the other additives, like Oxypower and a good amount of detergent. I let it sit for a while, then run through a number of rinses. Sometimes, to get his clothes clean, I had to wash it a number of times. Something that worked for diesel, which is the worst, I would put the pieces in a bucket with a good amount of Biz and let it soak for days. This would work for the fuel. Hope you get some ideas. (07/24/2009)

By c t

Laundry Smells Bad After Washing

After a good wash, if you are able, hang the clothes outside in the sun to dry. I noticed when I used a really cheap laundry detergent on my husband's work clothes that his socks still had a smell to them until they either went in the dryer or hung outside. I quit buying that one and bought Purex linen and lilies and I've had no problem with smelly clothes.
(07/24/2009)

By kghsave

Laundry Smells Bad After Washing
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Smelling clothing in the washing machine.
Clothes Smell Bad After Washing
Laundry in Washing Machine
How To Do Laundry
🎄
🍂