Laundry Soap Recipe

I was wondering if anyone knows a good laundry soap recipe? I am tired of spending a ton of money just to clean clothes. My husband gets very dirty every day and we go through a ton of soap. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

Jennifer from IL

Laundry Soap Recipe

I have making my own detergent now for about a year (thank you thriftyfun!). Its terrific! I can't get the fels naptha here in Canada, but any soap will work really. I use which ever laundry bar is on sale, but I have heard of people using Ivory or other pure soaps too.

I have pots, spoons and a grater that I only use for this task.

• 1/3 bar grated soap
  • 6 cups water
  • 1/2 cup borax
  • 1/2 cup washing soda
  • 2 gallons hot water

I heat the grated soap in 6 cups of water until the soap is dissolved. Add the borax and washing soda and stir until dissolved. Add this mixture to a 2 gallon bucket of hot water and stir. Stir occasionally over the next 24 hours while cooling.

For tough stains, rub the stain with the laundry bar in the hottest water the material will tolerate. For a fabric softener try plain old white vinegar. It removes all traces of detergent from your clothes and your washer while it softens and deodorizes. Your clothes will smell clean, not like vinegar. (08/24/2006)

By Terry Lynn

Laundry Soap Recipe
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
HE Washer
Homemade Laundry Soap for an HE Washer
Soap in Laundry
Removing Soap Build Up in Laundry
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale