Learning to Crochet

I would like to learn how to crochet. Any tips that might I learn from? Thanks.

By Debbie1995 from Julian, NC

Answers:

Learning to Crochet

Start small. Try a "one skein" project. You want to do something that you will finish and use, like a scarf or dishcloth. If you know someone that crochets, ask for their help. If you don't, use the videos on the internet. It helps to "see it done" rather than just reading the directions.

Don't tackle a big project (afghan) until you know that you like crochet. It can get expensive and if you don't finish your project, it just makes you feel guilty. So don't sabotage yourself before you even have a chance to get going.
Good luck. If you were in Arizona, I'd help you. (03/31/2009)

By oldlinda

Learning to Crochet

craftown.com

Free Crochet Lessons Free and easy, how-to crochet instructions including illustrations and abbreviations in English, Spanish and French.

As a young girl I had a favorite aunt and she often invited me to come to her house on weekends. I rode the city bus and stayed with Aunt Dorothy and Uncle Bill. My mother taught me how to knit, but she didn't know how to crochet, so Aunt Dorothy taught me the art of crocheting. She was a wonderful lady and had a heart of gold, I will always miss her. I'm so glad that my Aunt Dorothy took the time and the patience to teach me.

Once you learn a few basic stitches, it is very easy to pick up. Print the illustrations and instructions and keep in a notebook for further reference. (03/31/2009)

By MCW

Learning to Crochet

My mother taught me to crochet when I was around six or seven. She made me do chains only for about a week. That taught me to handle the needle although I do remember it being very boring. But learning to handle the needle is the hardest thing while learning so it might still be a good thing to do even as an adult. (04/03/2009)

By Kathryen

Learning to Crochet

There are great websites if you Google 'learn to crochet' or 'how to crochet' you'll get lots of results and most include videos you can watch while you learn. Also go to your local library. They have a craft section and you can scan or copy the pages from crochet books that are helpful. You can also call your local art/craft supply store or yarn/needlepoint store they often can tell you who gives beginner classes. Have fun.

My 80 year old friend just learned how to crochet a month ago and she's already completed two afghans. It's addicting and so much fun. Oh, once you get started, you can look for yarn at thrift stores and find great deals. Good luck.

Lee in FL (04/04/2009)

By PainterLee

Learning to Crochet

I learned to crochet by using this site: nexstitch.com The videos really helped me figure it out. (04/04/2009)

By momma2many

Learning to Crochet

I got my aunt to show me how to make a bootie. She critiqued my work and unwound it over and over again. My first bootie took almost all day, and my pride was somewhat bruised, but my second bootie took less than an hour, and I could make them in my sleep now.

Get someone you know to show you while watching TV or a movie, or on a play date for your kids, so that you can stop and start again and get help. Try something like beanies, booties or granny squares, which will not take a skein of yarn and make good practice. (04/05/2009)

By poepadoe

Crocheting
Learning to Crochet
crochet snake
Making a Crochet Snake
A person crocheting a pink baby blanket.
Finding Time to Crochet
Learning How to Bowl, Mother and Daughter at Bowling Alley
Learning How to Bowl
Crochet hook resting on striped crocheted blanket
Basic Crochet Abbreviations Chart
🎉
🎄