Learning to Use a Computer

There are books, software and online educational sites where you can learn many things about computers. This guide is about learning to use a computer.

December 22, 2008 Flag

My grandpa wants to learn to use the computer and Internet. Because of my job I do not get enough time to teach him. He doesn't want to go out and take classes. Any other easy ways?

Gloria

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Sorry I can't give you the exact links - but I know that there are senior sites that have computer lessons - Maybe Third Age? or Eons? And you could also go out (or go on the net) & get him a copy of Internet for Dummies - which is an easy introduction.

He should have a lot of fun with it - so encourage him!

Best Answer

Maybe call your local high school. Kids are so smart, and many

teens don't have grandparents. I would bet it would spark interest in a caring teen. Office people at the school may be willing to help you out. Good luck!

I would try "AARP". They have info for everything.

When I got my first computer (windows 98), I didn`t know where the "on" button was. What i found super helpful was the book "Windows 98 for Dummys". I am sure that there is a "Windows XP For Dummy`s" out there. They are written in simple language, are inexpensive and SUPER helpful.

I get packets of your pc made easy. You can order packets online and receive a packet in the mail. They are very helpful.

I have actually seen a book available in catalogs such as Harriet Carter and Lillian Vernon that is like the computers for Dummies series, but is specifically designed for seniors. You might want to check this out. Both companies have online sites.

I agree with the others.. the dummies books are very helpful.

Here is a site for anyone that is learning or needs more information on their operating system

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/

October 29, 2003 Flag

I am now on the internet with a webtv box. I am getting a computer in a few days and am looking for a reasonable ISP in Pennsylvania. I am also totally computer illiterate and am looking for articles on how to use the computer. Webtv is very simple and I am overwhelmed by the complexity of a computer.Thanks for your help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

It is very easy to learn to use a computer. All you need is someone knowledgable to show you how.

Call the nearest high school. Ask to speak with a computer teacher. Let this teacher know that you are looking for a helpful, bright student you can hire to come over for a few hours a week for a month or so. They will send you a student who is likely to major in computer science, and hiring a student is much less expensive than finding a professional.

Best Answer

Some senior centers have computer classes for their members. Most towns of any size, I'm saying in the 100,000 population have different places that if you are low enough income you can get free computer lessons, I think, but am not sure that it is supposed to be for job prep. Also I have seen a book mentioned called Computers For Dummies.

Best Answer

The place that offers free introductory classes is the public library! Also, as someone already noted, the Senior Center. The latter is because the Baby Boomer's are a huge age group that wants to learn how to email their grandchildren in college or use Skype to talk with their grown kids far away. Frankly, I would also look around my neighborhood or teenage relatives and pay one of the kids to come over your home and literally show you stuff.

Hi,

You can also go to http://www.worldstart.com" rel="nofollow" target="new">http://www.worldstart.com. They have a daily newsletter you can sign up for that is very informative. It has pictures to show you each step. You can also search or just browse under subject headings for what you want to learn.

I am also using a webtv unit and want to learn how to use a pc. I found free courses at http://www.ThirdAge.com" rel="nofollow" target="new">http://www.ThirdAge.com. They are helping me a lot. Also they have discussion boards, and there are a lot of webtv users there trying to learn the pc.

-Ralphed

Hi i came from a webtv and it's about the same as far as cut copy and paste, it's just so much faster to use, the only thing is that on webtv you never had to worry about a virus but on here you have to be very careful of what you open, never open anything from anyone you don't know.. The awesome thing about a computer is you can open numerous windows where on webby you can't... I'm still learning myself, i have figured out how to have a sig page on my emails though lol.. Good luck and just keep in mind how webby works when you are searching it's the same thing pretty much, email me if you need some help at candleglows@yahoo.com, make sure you put your name and what you are writing about in the subject line.... I use Netscape.com for 9.95 a month..

Free Accountability Software -keep track of your kids or...anyone using your

computer............:)

www.safefamilies.org

www.chatchecker.com

www.k9webprotection.com

www.radiance.m6.net

November 22, 2010 Flag

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any web sites where I could download free computer courses starting with beginners and moving up (not to the advanced level). I have Googled it, but the ones that state they are free, are not. When you open them they want money and I can't afford them.

I think the course that I am looking for is Word. I want to learn how to do letters, charts, posters, greeting cards, labels, etc. I have got Microsoft Word on my computer, but I have no idea how to use it. I know I am not using my computer to do other things on it just because I really don't know how.

I have looked on You Tube, but the videos are very quick and not very clear so I can't understand the instructions. Also I feel if I get clear visual instructions I would learn better. I am using my PC with MS Windows 7 OS and a broadband connection. I hope someone can help me as I really would like to get more out of my computer than what I am doing now. My local library used to do free computer courses, but due to the cutbacks they have been stopped.

Many thanks. Helen xx

By helen from U.K

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Microsoft does offer free tutorials. Also, if you click on the little question mark in the toolbar, you can bring up a table of contents for whatever you are looking to do. Some versions ask you to type in what you are looking for, say creating labels. Then you will see info on how to do it.

If all else fails, Google "DearWebby.com." If he doesn't know, no one does! Cay from FL

Go back to the library and look over their selection of books on Word. You should be able to find one that fits your needs, is clear to you, and let's you build on your knowledge step by step. Take it home and work with it on your computer. Try a few books until you find the one that you feel is the best, and then buy your own copy. Don't be afraid to open up a blank Word document and experiment, either. You don't have to save your mistakes, just delete them. Click on drop-down menus, etc. and see what the options are and try them out. You'll find that you "learn by doing", and the more you experiment, the better you'll get. :)

Have you checked with HP Learning Center i.e. Hewlett Packard? They have some great programs for free

http://h30187.w  hp.com/index.jsp

Try the above link.

Plenty of FREE tutorials of each subject matter in Win7 at:

http://windows.  /getting-started

There are video tutorials here for Office 2007 [Word]

http://office.m  CH010224760.aspx as well as their insistance of wanting you to try 2010... :))

[I too am upgrading to Win7 from XP....and I'm hoping that the learning curve is not too bad]

I got my new 'puter w/Win7 & Office 2010, after struggling with Win7 for 2 weeks, trying to rationalize WHY Microsoft wanted to redesign 'the wheel', I told my builder to replace Win7 with XP Pro. The Microsoft Win7 group must be on the Apple payroll to have created such a monster. if they wanted to redesign the way a computer functions, they should have issued a Business Version. I was not happy having to learn how to make a Folder, or ask myself "Where did the folder go to?" I am happy with XP and it's simple methods. I still have the disk & Product Code for Win7 but I pray that it never comes to having to use it. I did keep Office 2010; more bells & whistles than I'll ever even contemplate; but if a Microsoft 'update' suddenly decides that Office 2010 will NOT function without Win7, I still have good old Office 2010 disk and Product code.

June 9, 2007 Flag

I have Microsoft Word. The bar across the top of the document page used to have buttons for adding bold, italics, changing font, changing font size. This has disappeared.

The Help feature refuses to recognize my cd's, because it tells me I need to put one in, and when I do, it doesn't like it.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you have Word up, you can right click on the bar section and get that bar back up. if not, email me at tlbuck AT hotmail.com or Shahar_Thorne AT yahoo.com (much better) and send me an image of what you got. I can take it from there.

Theresa

right click on the top toolbar, then click on "formating" when the drop-down box appears. That will do it.

Thank you, everyone, for all of your very helpful suggestions!

it may be that your home page was hijacked this happened to me and icontacted microsoft and they helped me fix the problem and also helped me install safe guards to stop this from happening

Try this first.

Click on View.

Click on toolbars.

Check that standard and formatting are both ticked. Click back in your document to close.

The toolbar you want should come back.

Regards

Sheena

Submitted via Email:

Well, I actually solved my last query, and I will tell how.

The solution to bringing back the toolbar from my previous query about searching for the toolbar with Italics, bold, font, etc. was to go to: VIEWS, TOOLBARS, FORMATTING

By Holly from Richardson, TX

If your toolbar in WORD 2007 has disappeared try clicking on HOME and click on MINIMIZE RIBBON. This should make the toolbar reappear.

February 1, 2014 Flag

I want to put an icon on the bottom of my screen for Facebook and Pinterest so I can click on it and go straight there. How do I do that?

By Nancy Y.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I can't believe this question has gone unanswered for a year and a half. If you are running Windows, go to the website for which you want a shortcut. Left click on the symbol in the address bar just before www. The symbol may be a lock if there is https before the www. Hold down the left mouse button and drag the symbol to your desktop. Then release the mouse button. You now have a short cut on your desktop for that website. From there, you can move the short cut anywhere you want it.

October 12, 2006 Flag

I'm thinking about offering individual computer and internet instruction for extra money. Anyone have any advice? Should I charge mileage (maybe over 20 mile?), how much should I charge, and is this a viable idea? I thought I may advertise in the local paper.

Thanks,
Margaret from VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Computers TipsSeptember 10, 2013
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
A senior man using a computer.
Teaching Seniors to Use a Computer
Learning How to Bowl, Mother and Daughter at Bowling Alley
Learning How to Bowl
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 15, 2017 at 11:17:54 PM on 10.0.1.229 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.