Learning to Use a Computer

Category Tips
Learning to use a laptop computer.
There are books, software and online educational sites where you can learn many things about computers. This guide is about learning to use a computer.

My grandpa wants to learn to use the computer and Internet. Because of my job I do not get enough time to teach him. He doesn't want to go out and take classes. Any other easy ways?

Gloria

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Sorry I can't give you the exact links - but I know that there are senior sites that have computer lessons - Maybe Third Age? or Eons? And you could also go out (or go on the net) & get him a copy of Internet for Dummies - which is an easy introduction.

He should have a lot of fun with it - so encourage him!

Best Answer

Maybe call your local high school. Kids are so smart, and many

teens don't have grandparents. I would bet it would spark interest in a caring teen. Office people at the school may be willing to help you out. Good luck!

I am now on the internet with a webtv box. I am getting a computer in a few days and am looking for a reasonable ISP in Pennsylvania. I am also totally computer illiterate and am looking for articles on how to use the computer. Webtv is very simple and I am overwhelmed by the complexity of a computer.Thanks for your help.

Best Answer

It is very easy to learn to use a computer. All you need is someone knowledgable to show you how.

Call the nearest high school. Ask to speak with a computer teacher. Let this teacher know that you are looking for a helpful, bright student you can hire to come over for a few hours a week for a month or so. They will send you a student who is likely to major in computer science, and hiring a student is much less expensive than finding a professional.

Best Answer

Some senior centers have computer classes for their members. Most towns of any size, I'm saying in the 100,000 population have different places that if you are low enough income you can get free computer lessons, I think, but am not sure that it is supposed to be for job prep. Also I have seen a book mentioned called Computers For Dummies.

Best Answer

The place that offers free introductory classes is the public library! Also, as someone already noted, the Senior Center. The latter is because the Baby Boomer's are a huge age group that wants to learn how to email their grandchildren in college or use Skype to talk with their grown kids far away. Frankly, I would also look around my neighborhood or teenage relatives and pay one of the kids to come over your home and literally show you stuff.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any web sites where I could download free computer courses starting with beginners and moving up (not to the advanced level). I have Googled it, but the ones that state they are free, are not. When you open them they want money and I can't afford them.

I think the course that I am looking for is Word. I want to learn how to do letters, charts, posters, greeting cards, labels, etc. I have got Microsoft Word on my computer, but I have no idea how to use it. I know I am not using my computer to do other things on it just because I really don't know how.

I have looked on You Tube, but the videos are very quick and not very clear so I can't understand the instructions. Also I feel if I get clear visual instructions I would learn better. I am using my PC with MS Windows 7 OS and a broadband connection. I hope someone can help me as I really would like to get more out of my computer than what I am doing now. My local library used to do free computer courses, but due to the cutbacks they have been stopped.

Many thanks. Helen xx

By helen from U.K

Plenty of FREE tutorials of each subject matter in Win7 at:

http://windows. … /getting-started

There are video tutorials here for Office 2007 [Word]

http://office.m … CH010224760.aspx as well as their insistance of wanting you to try 2010... :))

[I too am upgrading to Win7 from XP....and I'm hoping that the learning curve is not too bad]

I got my new 'puter w/Win7 & Office 2010, after struggling with Win7 for 2 weeks, trying to rationalize WHY Microsoft wanted to redesign 'the wheel', I told my builder to replace Win7 with XP Pro. The Microsoft Win7 group must be on the Apple payroll to have created such a monster. if they wanted to redesign the way a computer functions, they should have issued a Business Version. I was not happy having to learn how to make a Folder, or ask myself "Where did the folder go to?" I am happy with XP and it's simple methods. I still have the disk & Product Code for Win7 but I pray that it never comes to having to use it. I did keep Office 2010; more bells & whistles than I'll ever even contemplate; but if a Microsoft 'update' suddenly decides that Office 2010 will NOT function without Win7, I still have good old Office 2010 disk and Product code.

Hi, just want to say many thanks to the wonderful T/F members who replied to my question about free computer courses on line they were so helpful. Helen xxxx

I have Microsoft Word. The bar across the top of the document page used to have buttons for adding bold, italics, changing font, changing font size. This has disappeared.

The Help feature refuses to recognize my cd's, because it tells me I need to put one in, and when I do, it doesn't like it.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks

Submitted via Email:

Well, I actually solved my last query, and I will tell how.

The solution to bringing back the toolbar from my previous query about searching for the toolbar with Italics, bold, font, etc. was to go to: VIEWS, TOOLBARS, FORMATTING

By Holly from Richardson, TX

If your toolbar in WORD 2007 has disappeared try clicking on HOME and click on MINIMIZE RIBBON. This should make the toolbar reappear.

When I click on View / Views, I don't see Toolbasrs at all. I see document view, show/hide, zoon, window, and macros ribbons. Did my IT give a numbskull restricted install I wonder.

I also don't see what Joy is talking about. I right click most anywhere and don't see formatting.

I want to put an icon on the bottom of my screen for Facebook and Pinterest so I can click on it and go straight there. How do I do that?

By Nancy Y.

I can't believe this question has gone unanswered for a year and a half. If you are running Windows, go to the website for which you want a shortcut. Left click on the symbol in the address bar just before www. The symbol may be a lock if there is https before the www. Hold down the left mouse button and drag the symbol to your desktop. Then release the mouse button. You now have a short cut on your desktop for that website. From there, you can move the short cut anywhere you want it.

I'm thinking about offering individual computer and internet instruction for extra money. Anyone have any advice? Should I charge mileage (maybe over 20 mile?), how much should I charge, and is this a viable idea? I thought I may advertise in the local paper.

Thanks,
Margaret from VA