Leg Cramps While Sleeping

My age is 65 years, I have been a sports man and athlete my whole life. I regularly used to drink alcohol. I was a regular victim of cramps, sometimes in the back while reversing the car, at times in my tummy while laughing and many a time due to any body movement in any place of my body. Now that I have controlled my intake of alcohol, I still get cramps in my legs especially my calves and feet while I am fast asleep and have to jump out of bed and try different postures to rid the cramps. Please guide me as to how control these painful cramps.

By Sheryar from Quetta, Pakistan

You probably have a magnesium shortage. This can cause severe leg cramps and also block your body from absorbing calcium which can then cause Osteoporosis. Go to your doctor and ask him to run a blood test to see if it's the problem. Also, have him check to see if you are dumping calcium in your blood. You can also go to Walgreens & buy leg cramp pills-forget the quinine pills they work for about 15 mins. and then stop working.

I was having intense cramping in my legs at night. The dr. checked my blood and it was low magnesium.

Drink more water, you are dehydrated.

Leg cramps can be caused by a pinched nerve in the low back. Have yourself checked by a chiropractor. They can help without medication or surgery in many cases.

If you are drinking a lot of either tea or coffee daily that contains caffein which are diuretics, then you need to drink more water and less of the caffeinated drinks. In a few days, the leg cramping should cease and you'll sleep better. Otherwise, if still nothing changes after doing this, then check with your doctor to get a blood test to determine if your body is in need of something more that cramping is a symptom of.

Woman with a leg cramp.
Remedies for Leg Cramps
Health & Beauty Home RemediesOctober 1, 2014
A blister on a leg
Treating Leg Blisters
Woman with a Leg Cast
Underwear to Wear with a Leg Cast
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Leg of Lamb
Leg of Lamb Recipes
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 5, 2017 at 7:14:30 PM on 10.0.1.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.