Legal Responsibility for Mold in a Rental House

Establishing who is responsible for mold assessment and cleanup in a rental property can be frustrating. This is a guide about legal responsibility for mold in a rental house.


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

0 found this helpful
January 14, 2014 Flag

I rent a cottage which is wet, cold, and damp. It has black and green mould growing everywhere, but mainly in the bedrooms where my children sleep. The landlord isn't really that bothered. Can someone advise me on the legal side please?

By teresa griffiths from Havant, Hampshire

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
January 15, 20140 found this helpful
Best Answer

Definitely take action. This mold can be very unhealthy for your family, especially the children . Call the courthouse, your DHS OFFICE or housing authorities. No one should be forced to live in these circumstances. There will be people who can help. Do not fear this landlord. He is greatly at fault.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
January 15, 20140 found this helpful
Best Answer

I live in Scotland and am married to a retired council officer (historic building conservation). He says he's not sure if you can take this to the Trading Commission but he strongly urges that you contact your local Legal Aid, your GP. Take photos and ask your doctor if the children's health is being compromised. Ask your MP for assistance in making your private landlord sort this right away.

He feels you have a good case. Based on the photograph you posted here he feels there is a structural defect causing extreme damp and that there may be other defects (wiring) in conjunction with the damp besides the mould. Your family could be in danger of fire, for example, in addition to the health problems.

The mould on the walls of your children's bedroom(s) should be carefully photographed to include a time and date stamp. Don't give up on this. Document everything you do.

Meanwhile, after, you've photographed everything, use white distilled non-brewed vinegar, full strength, to kill the mould. The mould will come back but it will help cut down some of the health problems.

Good luck, this is really awful and I wish you all the best in getting this solved!

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
January 15, 20140 found this helpful

Check your lease carefully for hidden clauses about the condition of the cottage before you move forward with any legal action.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Related Content(article continues below)
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceFebruary 14, 2014
Converting a Rental into a Condo
Preventing Mold On Berries, Moldy Strawberry
Preventing Mold On Fresh Berries
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Estranged Parent
Legal Responsibility for Aging Estranged Parents
St. Patrick's Ideas!
Valentine's Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 6:50:28 PM on in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!