Letters Wearing Off My Brand New Dell Keyboard

The letters on my brand new Dell keyboard are wearing off. Anyone have an idea of how to stop this? I tried clear nail polish.

Linda J from NY

Answers:

Letters Wearing Off My Keyboard

Contact Dell computers and have them replace your keyboard because the letters should not be wearing off. (10/04/2008)

By MCW

Letters Wearing Off My Keyboard

I tried they said they are not responsible for the letters wearing off. (10/04/2008)

By daiquiri

Letters Wearing Off My Keyboard

I had the same problem and I emailed Dell and they mailed me a new keyboard right away at no cost. They didn't ask when I bought my computer and I didn't have to return my old keyboard. I was very happy! (10/04/2008)

By DorothyNYC

Letters Wearing Off My Keyboard

This happens to a lot of coated plastics over time, and to most keyboards if you use them enough. Seems like it happened a little quick to yours though. Is it possible you are accidentally putting some sort of chemical on the keys? A cleaning agent, or even a hand lotion that might be wearing them down faster than normal? (10/04/2008)

By MetroPony

Letters Wearing Off My Keyboard

I'm not using any chemicals at all. I have a Logitech and a Microsoft keyboard that are a lot older and the letters are fine. It's just the Dell, maybe it's because it's a black keyboard.
I ordered the computer on July 8, 2008 and received it about 10 days later.
I'll give them another call and see if they'll send me another keyboard. Is there anything that will prevent the letters from coming off the new one? (10/05/2008)

By daiquiri

If you got it after July of this year then that is way too soon for the letters to be wearing off. I would call, email, and write to Dell. Be polite, but firm and also keep track of who and when you talk to someone. If the person that you talk to says no then ask to speak to their supervisor. I would also contact some consumer groups as mentioned below.

If that route fails there are apparently decals you can buy to put on the keyboard as well as clear cover that go over the whole keyboard.

http://hooleon.com/

http://www.classykeyboards.com/d_catalog/alpha-replacement-overlays.htm

You could print out a cheat sheet of where the keys are on the keyboard to help you in the meantime.

http://www.koniaris.com/dvorak/kbqwerty.gif

Of course no eating at the computer, no hand lotion and toweling off your hands occasionally might help prevent faster wear. Also you might change your passwords (which you should do anyway) so the same keys aren't being used as the ones that wore off first.

I still think that that is much too soon for them to have worn off in the first place.

Good luck to you. (10/05/2008)

By Kaelle

I own a Dell laptop purchased brand new in 2003 and not one letter or partial letter has started to wear off. I use it every day. There is seriously something wrong with the letters coming off your keyboard after only a few months.
The decal/paint Dell used has to be defective. Call them, aren't you still under warranty? Even if you're not, don't take no for an answer.
Good luck and keep us posted!
(10/05/2008)

By Dollmaker

Paint on a couple of coats of polyurethane to get you through the short run. However, definitely contact Dell and they should replace it for free if you are persistent. Good luck. (10/06/2008)

By Tahlula

I bought a el-cheapo keyboard from the local discount store (Rose's). I paid $5 for a keyboard and a wrist pad to go under my mousepad. I intended on just using it until I could get something better, but a year later and it's still working great and all the letters are still legible. Sometimes the quality is not in the name! Don't remember what "brand" it is, but they still carry the same set, only I think it's $6 now. (10/06/2008)

By bailegirl

I don't have a Dell keyboard. But when my letters wore off, I used white nail polish to paint the letters on the keys. I figured that eventually that would wear off too. But, to my surprise it never did. And the letters I made are bigger and easier to read. (10/07/2008)

By Erika

White nail polish and polyurethane, think I have both. Jacks has a wireless keyboard and mouse for $19.95. Better deal than $19.95 for letters to paste on. I will call Dell again. (10/07/2008)

By daiquiri

I took your excellent advice and called Dell again. This customer service rep agreed the keyboard was defective and sent me a new one. What I learned from this experience:

If you get a bad answer from a customer service rep, call back and try another. (02/14/2009)

By daiquiri

A solution I found for worn off keys is to put replacement stickers on the keyboard. I found some at:

http://www.smartkeyboardsolutions.com/alpha-replacement-labels.htm

The stickers are good quality with a non-glare matte finish. I especially liked the free shipping.

I've seen some of the cheap sticker sets that are printed on thin vinyl that won't last very long. As they say, you get what you pay for.

It's so much easier to put the stickers on than having to return or replace the keyboard. (11/10/2010)

By Jack2010

Worn Off Keyboard Letters
Replacing Worn Off Keyboard Letters
Keeping Your Keyboard Clean
Keeping Your Keyboard Clean
Paper Letters
Making Paper Letters
Avoiding Keyboard Spills, Coffee spill on a computer keyboard.
Avoiding Keyboard Spills
Stack of Letters
Saving Cards and Letters
🎄
🍂