Lightening Hair With Lemon Juice

You don't have to use expensive hair products to lighten your hair; try lemon juice. This is a guide about lightening hair with lemon juice.

April 24, 2016 Flag

Can lemon juice lighten strawberry-blondish ginger to a blonde?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

With a great deal of sunshine and even more patience, yes. Please consider the other effects of spending time in the sun and use sunscreen?

Lemon juice does have the ability to lighten the hair, however it's effect is so slight, it's hardly noticeable. It alone will not lighten strawberry hair to a true blond.

Many years ago, there was a lemon juice fad. Girls would mix equal parts lemon juice and peroxide and apply it to the hair. Then they would sit in the Sun til their hair dried. These girls did not end up with blond hair. Instead, they had gentle and quite pretty highlights.

This procedure will tend to bring out reddish tones in the hair as it lightens. The fact that you would be starting out with a strawberry color causes me to think you could end up with lighter and very attractive strawberry blond highlights. (It could take several treatments).

I just now noticed Rose Anne's answer. Please do follow her advice concerning sunscreen.

January 19, 2011 Flag

Can you lighten dirty blonde hair with lemon juice?

By Kena

Best Answer

First of all, yes lemon juice will work to lighten your hair. But, be aware that lemon juice will only work to highlight your natural hair color. What this means is, if you have dark hair, say dark brown, and you use lemon juice to lighten your hair, you will get a lighter brown highlight, not blonde. If you have black hair, you will most likely get a red-tinted highlight wherever you apply the lemon juice. That being said, lemon juice works best as a natural highlighter for blonde to dirty-blonde hair colors. Light brown hair usually returns good results when highlighted with lemon juice as well.

Lemon juice lightens your hair by working with the sun or UV rays. It will not work with a blow dryer. While the sun will lighten hair to a point on its own, the process is slow. The acid in lemon juice hurries the process along.

1. Do not wash your hair before starting the highlighting process. It is best to use unwashed (dirty) hair.

2. Apply lemon juice (not lemon flavored sweetener for drinks--but actual lemon juice. If you can't find lemon juice, get real lemons and squeeze them for this process) to the places you want highlighted. You can apply to your whole head to lighten color uniformly or you can apply it to strands as if you were getting highlights done.

3. After applying lemon juice to desired places to be lightened, head out into the sun. It is important to wear sunscreen as you will be spending at least 30 minutes in the sun. After 30 minutes come in, and wash lemon juice from hair. Repeat this process until desired lightening is achieved. *Note: It is sometimes necessary to perform this process once or twice a day for a few days instead of trying to achieve maximum highlights in one day.

4. Make sure to use a very good conditioner during the lemon juice highlighting process, as the juice and sun are harsh and will dry hair out. Use conditioner every day after highlighting. A deep conditioner is also a good idea to do every couple of days during the highlighting process to keep from damaging hair. Be extra careful of thin or brittle hair.

5. The highlights you achieve are as permanent as the ones you would get at the beauty salon and will not go away unless colored or grown out.

Using lemon juice is a good, natural alternative to getting chemical highlights. It does take a little patience, but the results can be very attractive with a little time.

Again, this method works best for people with blonde to dirty-blonde hair and usually works well on light brown hair as well.

Best Answer

Lemon juice will indeed work but, having been a hairstylist for 35 years, here's a tip that would be easier than waiting for sunshine and just as safe of a choice for a natural sun kissed lightening for your hair. This formula lightens gradually, so it will not be an overnight shock change. Simply spray a 50/50 solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide on your wet hair after getting out of the shower, comb it through, and dry. ;-)

October 17, 2011 Flag

Does lemon juice work on medium brown or light brown hair? I heard that lemon doesn't work on colored hair. I colored it before with henna. It didn't make it red, thank god, it just gave me little orange highlights not the full-on orange.

I know that what colour I'll get differs from one to another, but what suggested colors can I mix it with conditioner then apply it on my hair? I want to get dark blonde. I know it will take a time, but how many times should I put it on my hair over 2 to 3 weeks? Is the change noticeable?

Nadine

Best Answer

It works great if sit in the sun for 30-70 minutes. If you want great results put very strong chamomile tea in there too.

Oh and the more times you put it in, the better color it will have.

July 27, 2013 Flag

I want to have ombre hair, but I find it only looks good with light brown hair. I have dark brown hair and I want it to be a light brown! How long should I sit in the sun? How often should I put lemon juice in my hair? How long till I notice a difference?

By Saidah

Best Answer

I really don't recommend using bleach or chemicals to try and lighten dark hair that has been coloured it's only going to go orange. Lemon juice can work well but you won't get a light blonde out of lemon juice unless you have light hair or never have chemically beached your hair and it is natural virgin hair. Using Paul Mitchell's clarifying shampoo three removes the build up of minerals and chlorine to make colour penetrate the best and makes hair a lush rich colour that will last longer.

Lemon takes too long, I would recommend you hydrogen peroxide since your hair is dark brown. I did this and stayed in the sun like half an hour with the hydrogen in my hair and it lightened and it looked natural the only bad thing is that either with lemon or hydrogen if you have dark hair it will get an orangey color.

If you really want blonde hair at the tips you should use hair dye. I tried doing the ombre "naturally" and I ended up with lowlights, which I actually like since I'm a California girl. This is was taken like 8 months after you really have nothing to lose, your hair will look blonder only in the sun.

April 12, 2010 Flag

Can you use lime juice to change your hair color?

By Seema from Milwaukee, WI

Best Answer

Yes you can :-) It works the same as using lemon juice because of the citrus. Both needs either the sun or heat from a dryer to lift out color and it will very a very, very subtle change.

I don't know about lime juice but lemon juice will highlighten Sandy blonde hair when applied and you get out in the sun.(You need to have a lighter colored blonde not dark) A friend of mine used to do this to his hair every summer to keep his hair looking great.

July 8, 2011 Flag

What is the best way to highlight brown hair with lemon juice but without it turning orange?

By Lindsay

Best Answer

I'd go out in the sun. I didn't find my hair turning orange. I think it's the commercial hair dyes that have this risk. Mine gradually got more blondish.

Hydrogen peroxide produces the orangish color. It's great for me, a potential redhead. Lemon juice just lightens blonde hair & going out in the sun will intensify the effect. But I have found it's best to put lightening agents on dirty hair so the effect isn't too drying & after shampoo make sure you condition your hair.

September 23, 2010 Flag

I have heard about dyeing (lightening) your hair with lemon juice, and I read a lot of comments saying that it works! It's awesome!, but the thing is, they are blonde/light brown haired people. My question is how would it turn out for very dark brown, almost black hair?

By Kristy

Best Answer

Hello, from my own experience of using lemon juice on my hair is, that with dark brown hair it usually will shade it with red tones and not blond.

Yes you can! My hair is supper dark brown, it gave my hair lovely shine and in light deep red to auburn hues. If used regularly, it can bleach your hair way lighter. I would use it carefully though because you may end up with a shad you like then use it too much and lose it. My hair usually goes back darker but it depends on your hair type. It's awesome stuff! Good luck.

July 10, 2011 Flag

I have dark brown, shoulder length, thick hair and I want to dye my hair purple and blue with Kool-aid. I need to lighten it first. My mom said I can only lighten it with lemons/lemon juice. How long do I need to sit in the sun with it and all that? Do I need to wash it out afterwards? I need help.

By Jazmine

Lemon juice will not lighten your hair enough to redye it.

January 19, 2011 Flag

Use lemon or lime juice and a blow dryer or the summer sun for an all natural and cheap way to lighten your hair. Wet your hair with the lemon or lime juice, then blow it dry or sit in the sun. The heat will cause the juice to "bleach" your hair. Make sure you are wearing a light colored top when doing this. When I did it, I was wearing a dark purple shirt and it is now bleached out. Or at least it looks that way.

Source: My guardian Christina told me about this.

By Noria from TN

Answers:

Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

This method does work, but it dries your hair out something shocking. So if you have coarse, frizzy or flyaway hair, I wouldn't recommend it. I did it one summer and it took me months to get my hair back to it's normal healthy condition (08/31/2010)

By Spanish Girl

Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

I must warn you this is like sun damage to the hair. I certainly do not recommend this. I am a retired hair stylist and I had to repair many heads of hair from doing this. You might as well get it professionally done in the first place and save yourself the damaged hair. (01/06/2011)

By Toebeanie

August 31, 2010 Flag

I have really dark brown hair (almost black) and I was wondering if I can use lemon juice to high light my hair? And is it okay if you use lemon juice from the store that's prepackaged or does it have to be directly from lemons?

By Jessica from Little Rock, AR

Answers:

Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

Unfortunately lemon juice won't lighten your hair, at best it will just leave you with a bit of orange or brassiness. If you have really dark hair and want to go lighter, your best bet is to get it done professionally. Even at-home hair colors should only be used to lighten hair three shades, tops. (06/14/2010)

By mollyring

Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

Mollyring is right, lemon juice may work on blondes but for darker hair it doesn't do anything. The sun may bring out some highlights but if you want lighter ones, a beauty salon is the place to go so you don't end up with brassy colorations. (06/15/2010)

By Amy3e

Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

With the feedback attached, I would say it is cheaper to go to walmart for at $8 box of dye/lightener than to use kitchen supplies that when you skrew up, you have no help on the phone for questions. Remember, many skrew ups have to be cut off or wait for it to grow out and then cut off. Which is worth your nickel? (06/16/2010)

By TandT Grandma

Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

Sun-In is a terrible product! Never use it! I personally use a mixture of bottled Lemon Juice and Moroccan Oil (can be bought from professional Hairdressers). It Works Great! While Moroccan Oil is quite pricey ($40 AUST) it is well worth it. I usually start with dry hair, make a mixture of Lemon Juice and Moroccan Oil (90/10) and saturate my hair with it. It is not necessary to go outside, but it may help if you want to go blonder. :) (08/14/2010)

By jimmys123

June 14, 2010 Flag

If I bleach my hair with lemon, will a blow dryer have the same affect as the sun? Does it have to do with heat or light?

Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringApril 27, 2013
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Bottle of lemon juice and a cut lemon
Cleaning With Lemon Juice
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
🎄