Lighting Candles

Lighting candles takes some care to keep from burning your fingers. This is a guide about lighting candles.

All winter long, I burn candles but it gets harder to light them with an ordinary match when there is only a little left. I buy fireplace matches at Home Depot. They are much longer than regular matches, and prevent me from burning myself.

Regardless of which match I use, I always rinse it with water before I throw it away. This makes sure that it is not hot enough to ignite the trash in the wastebasket.

Anonymous

When lighting jar candes, first light the regular short match, then use a scissors to hold it while you light the candle. I got the idea while trimming the wick of a jar candle that was burned low. It works. Or as someone wrote, use the long fireplace/grill lighters which is what I now do.

Use uncooked spaghetti or spaghettini to light gas furnaces, fireplaces, BBQs, gas lamps, gas fridges, gas ranges, anything with a pilot light, even candles.

Source: Trying to light my Servel propane fridge in the 70's.

By DearWebby from Black Diamond, AB

Anonymous

Dear Webby, a really good tip and I am truly so happy to see your first contest submission here! Keep 'em coming. :-)

Birthday Candles

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

It's important to quickly light the birthday candles to save your fingers and the cake decorating. This guide is about lighting birthday candles.

When I want to light a candle that is pretty far down in a candle holder I use an uncooked spaghetti noodle. No more burnt fingers.

By Janette from Parkersburg,WV